Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have some plans for next year's lawn and thought a spreader could be useful. Researched a little further and figured one would work good for salt spreading my driveway.

At idle the crazy thing threw salt 30 feet in all directions....my driveway is only 16' wide.

I made a couple of mud flaps out of a pair of rubber door mats and some furing strips. Placed a PVC pipe over the protruding carriage bolts to hold the width.

Drops a path now about a foot wider than the tractor path. Waiting for the next snowfall/ice storm to test it out.

I need to work on the PTO shaft. It is a fixed length and is too short. I had to lengthen the upper link to get the PTO lock to engage. Not an ideal setup as I can't change the heigth of the 3pt and the shaft is currwntly too short to allow it to level...hence the rearward tilt.

$400 on CL for the spreader. Wasn't in my budget but was too good to pass up. Gitta replenish my funds, I need a top-n-tilt for spring!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I like the setup. Are you able to keep salt off the back of the tractor?? I also like Kennys pto extender. My salt spreader keeps salt off the tractor but I blow off the spreader before I park it. I also find I go through a lot of salt.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't seen any salt on the tractor yet. There is a guard on the front that looks like it keeps it off. I also haven't found the ideal setting/ground speed to apply salt with yet. I can chew through 200-300 pounds of salt in less than 30 seconds if i opwn it wide. That's not a prolem as long as the proper geound speed is used.

I need to get a fresh snowfall and set it up before i plow so i can see the output better. Right now on a semi clean driveway I cant see the coverage results very well. I can see that it isn't throwing it into my yard which was goal number one. Now i need to tune it and learn the machine. Hopefully it won't take too many hoppers full of salt to dial it in.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Came out this morning and the 10 foot long patch I laid down last night in testing was about 6 feet wide and 15 feet long - dry, smooth and clear of ice and snow. Based on those results I'd say the flaps worked as desired/designed.

Thanks for the comments on the flaps. I will admit they are my design and I didn't steal them. No licensing required if you want to copy them for yourselves. :bigthumb:

$10.00 - 4 hose clamps
$0.46 x 6 - carriage bolts
$7.00 x 2 - Rubber door mats
$0.96 - Package of nuts
$0.52 - Package of washers
$1.46 - 1 foot of chain
$2.52 x 2 - furring strips
FREE - Misc piece of PVC pipe laying around in my shop
----------
$34.84 plus tax

Pretty cheap solution. I may trim the flaps once I get it leveled off - at a minimum I will level them off to the ground and make sure they are the same height.

I need to do some measuring tonight and see if the PTO addapter is the right length to solve my issue. I may just get a new telescoping one as the directions for the FSP700 directions say they want the spreader to be 27-31" off the ground. Right now it is about 12" off the ground. The adapter may get me level at 12" but I need to raise the whole unit quite a bit more.

Although on second thought I may not need to raise it so high. I have to assume that the height they are recommending is so that you get maximum distance/dispersal on a single pass. Since I am using this in a small yard (1.5 acres) I may not need to get a 30 foot spread with this thing as two passes would do the whole yard with seed/fertilizer! lol I know this is overkill for my yard but there is no kill like overkill! Again, I was looking at it more for it's dual use (salt in the winter/lawn in the summer) and at $400 I felt it was pretty hard to pass up.

Anybody with experience on these care to chime in? Any reason to get it to the 27-31" other than efficiency in spreading? I don't mind a 15-20 foot swath and having to make a few extra laps. Not like I am taking care of a 20 acre field with this.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
BB,

You are correct, the backward tilt along with minimum ground clearance and low idle will reduce your spread area.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BB,

You are correct, the backward tilt along with minimum ground clearance and low idle will reduce your spread area.
So if I level it where it is but don't raise it to the 30" mark I should still get an even spread just not as wide?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
So if I level it where it is but don't raise it to the 30" mark I should still get an even spread just not as wide?
Actually, I am thinking if you level it just where it is you'll get a wider spread, still even coverage. Probably not a huge difference though. I like my spreader level and adjust the height and the RPM to help control the spread. I don't think that it will hurt anything if you have the discharge height at 12 inches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts