Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several year ago I owned a landscape rake with gage wheels. I loved the rake with the gage wheels but the problem with it was that the gage wheels were to close to the rake so they would not spin all the way around.

Yesterday about 60 tons of crushed limestone gravel was delivered to top coat the drive to my pole barn. To level out the gravel, I picked up a new Frontier 2072 landscape rake with gage wheels.
After I got it home, I found it has the same problem as the old rake. The gage wheels are to close to the rake, so the wheels will not spin all of the way around.

I used the rake on my 1026R without the top link connected. It worked great for leveling out the gravel, except I could not back up because the gage wheels would jam against the rake & make ruts.
For a temporary fix, I used a ratchet strap as the top link. I left it loose so it just slightly lifted the gage wheels off of the ground when I raised the 3 point.

Is there any reason not to extend the gage wheels out far enough to allow the wheels to rotate all the way around?

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Is a washer that should go between the rake and the wheel? Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
Is a washer that should go between the rake and the wheel? Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?
X2 :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
453 Posts
No help with the wheel issue but I've been using my rake with a piece of chain in place of the top link.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No help with the wheel issue but I've been using my rake with a piece of chain in place of the top link.
Thank you.
That sounds like a better fix. I will work on that after I get my new tractor.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that is lame.:dunno:
My thoughts exactly. The only thing I can think of is that having the wheels close to the rake maintains a more even height when driving the tractor over an uneven surface.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
How do you control the depth of drag/cut?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
My thoughts exactly. The only thing I can think of is that having the wheels close to the rake maintains a more even height when driving the tractor over an uneven surface.
I would think the further out the wheels are the better, to a certain degree. I like to use the rake to level and fill in low spots. If the wheels are too close they end up being in the same dip in the ground as the tines. :dunno:

·
Registered
453 Posts
How do you control the depth of drag/cut?
With the 3 pt control. The chain lets the rake lay forward and follow the ground contour. So far I've just been leveling ground with it. I even spin the rake around and pull it reversed for final leveling and to scratch grass seed into the ground. I saw on GTT where someone was doing this...thought that I'd try it before ordering a wheel kit. It works so well for me that the wheel kit is off the scope for now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With the 3 pt control. The chain lets the rake lay forward and follow the ground contour. So far I've just been leveling ground with it. I even spin the rake around and pull it reversed for final leveling and to scratch grass seed into the ground. I saw on GTT where someone was doing this...thought that I'd try it before ordering a wheel kit. It works so well for me that the wheel kit is off the scope for now.
Got any pics of your setup using the chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
That sounds similar to the method used for floating a rear finish mower. Although those usually have 4 wheels.

I have a 5-foot Frontier LR5060 landscape rake. JD does not offer gauge wheels for this model so I used a set of Tartar gauge wheels. They bolted right on like they were made for it. They have plenty of clearance to pivot 360-degrees.

IMG_1557.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sounds similar to the method used for floating a rear finish mower. Although those usually have 4 wheels.

I have a 5-foot Frontier LR5060 landscape rake. JD does not offer gauge wheels for this model so I used a set of Tartar gauge wheels. They bolted right on like they were made for it. They have plenty of clearance to pivot 360-degrees.

View attachment 205361
If I had known, I would have looked for something different.
I also like the no flat tires on yours.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Got any pics of your setup using the chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think that I do. And I wouldn't be able to take any until at least the weekend. All that I really did was find a piece of chain which I already had that was app. as long as the top link, with links large enough that I could put mounting pins through. If the chain was too long the rake wanted to roll back when lifted...and as a result it didn't get very high off the ground. Too short and it tended to roll forward, making it kind of a pain to hook up.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rakes are ment to work only one direction. Guage wheels don't need to spin all the way around because you don't use it backing up. And they need to be close to the rake to keep a good level grade.
Just my thoughts but I don't know why you would be running it without top link connected.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Rakes are ment to work only one direction. Guage wheels don't need to spin all the way around because you don't use it backing up. And they need to be close to the rake to keep a good level grade.
Just my thoughts but I don't know why you would be running it without top link connected.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I agree that they are only meant to work in one direction. You can easily break the tines if you are running it backwards. If you are trying to smooth out the material, you really need to get a harrow or drag. I put the gauge wheels on my 8ft rake, but honestly I change the pitch enough most of the time that they really do not do much. With my hyd top link, I can change the pitch easily to determine how much the tines cut into the material. I also have a 10ft 3pt harrow that I use to smooth things out. I guess I am also wondering why you would not be using the top link?????

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I need the gage wheel to spin all the way around, because sometimes I need to back up.

I was spreading crushed limestone over number 2 stone. The reason for not using the top link is that it allowed me drive over piles if the crushed stone & the rake stayed on the ground smoothing out the piles. If I used the top link, the rake would move up a down with the tractor leaving a rough survace.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been looking at landscaping rakes at everything attachments. His serious extreme duty rake is slotted at the top link to float with the gauge wheels installed. Plus his rake will 180 so you can push the rake backwards as well as pull it. He was pushing debris into a low spot backing up.
I really want to buy his.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts