Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my tractor and dealer is suppose to be getting my LR2060L landscape rake in. I never really looked into the rake, I mean its a landscape rake right. So today I look it up and JD claims its rated for a 25 hp tractor or less. I have a 2032, the salesman does not think it will be a issue. I think it could be a issue if it breaks apart in a month or 2 and no one wants to warranty it due to the HP rating. What do you think? I am thinking about telling him I want to go with the LR2172 rake which is in my HP rating.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I do not think it will be an issue but take a good look at the tines and frame construction.

I am thinking they rate the Rakes for the minimal amount of horse power required to pull it through the dirt. In the case of the 60 inch rake it is for a 1 series. So your 2032 is not necessarily "too much tractor" for the rake but rather you are leaving some pulling capability on the table since you are going to use a small rake. Your 2032 should certainly be able to handle a 72 inch rake unless the weight for it is too much for your 3pt hitch (which I doubt).

Not all rakes are created equal is what I have found. I just bought one for my 2210 back in FEB. I bought a heavy duty Tarter brand and it is 60 inches, I believe. What I have found is the weight of the implement is important if you want good results. If you see a cheap rake for sale, it is probably fairly light and you may not get good results and I would be concerned about braking it due to thinner metal etc. For a rake I would pay special attention on how the tines are attached to implement. Also look at the construction of the frame particularly where it mounts to the 3 pt hitch. Some of the different brands I looked at kind of skimped in those areas which tells me I could have problems in the future if I really work the rake hard, which I do when I use it.

I would go to Everything Attachments and listen to the video they have on their rake. Not promoting their rake (I think it is a good implement but went with a local supplier) but he brings up some things to look at when buying one. I think did not get the Deere one due to cost (can't remember). I have found most implements are cheaper if I use any other vendor beside John Deere. :bigbeer:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Best I can think is to use it, don't abuse it, and you'll be good to go..

Good luck..

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just FWIW, last Sat I had my dealer quote me on a 60" Frontier landscape rake w/wheel kit. $1235... None in stock so he offered to check their other stores or order one in for me. No thanks. TSC just down the road has one of their brand rakes for less than $500 and I can get a wheel kit for around $200. That Frontier price was crazy!

·
Registered
23,267 Posts
My first question would be - when a 60" rake is angled will it be wide enough to cover your wheel tracks?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My first question would be - when a 60" rake is angled will it be wide enough to cover your wheel tracks?
When you angle the rake,, it does not angle much,,,
You might loose 3 inches of width,,,

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have changed from the lr2060l rake to the LR2172 rake. Its more money but I like that I can add a drop down blade to it if necessary, beside they have it in stock and I was able to get a decent price on it. Its more of a heavier duty rake with almost twice the weight of the light duty one. I think I have plenty of tractor for a 6 ft rake and it should be no problem.

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
I have changed from the lr2060l rake to the LR2172 rake. Its more money but I like that I can add a drop down blade to it if necessary, beside they have it in stock and I was able to get a decent price on it. Its more of a heavier duty rake with almost twice the weight of the light duty one. I think I have plenty of tractor for a 6 ft rake and it should be no problem.
Hookoil---did u get the wheel kit with it? that is a great add on, I think and have on mine, but I see Frontier has changed the wheel kit since I bought mine yrs ago. frontier stone rake.jpg I just wanted to add my model no. it's LR1072, and I can angle it all the way, and I still can cover the angled tire, no tire track left. but the wheel kit is very nice to have-no more having to adjust up and down, just set it down and work

·
Registered
23,267 Posts
I think that was a good move.

And to address the above comment about the rake only angling enough to make 3" of difference - my Frontier 72" rake had 33 or 4 adjustments in each direction and could angle quite a bit. It was just the same as a rear blade.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that was a good move.

And to address the above comment about the rake only angling enough to make 3" of difference - my Frontier 72" rake had 33 or 4 adjustments in each direction and could angle quite a bit. It was just the same as a rear blade.
I think it should be good, I plan to get the wheel kit for it in the future if I find I need it.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
23,267 Posts
I think it should be good, I plan to get the wheel kit for it in the future if I find I need it.
I had the wheel kit for mine although quite expensive. A couple local contractors kind of laughed calling them "training wheels". But for what I was doing at the time they worked very well.

I had a job with a local contractor who didn't have the time to do the finish work with top soil and seeding when he was done with a job. So he would get done, dump an appropriate amount of top soil at the job, then I came in. After spreading the soil with the loader I used the rake to fine tune and having the wheels worked very well for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts