Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of landscape rake posts here. I am also the proud owner of a Frontier LR2060L, I've even bent the kickstand to all h*ll because somebody forgot to take it out :hide:

The rake is very versatile, and I have accomplished a lot with it. I am looking to add some 42lb suitcase weights with it so I can penetrate a little deeper. I am probably upsetting the back-blade purists here, such as this person who will remain anonymous:

A landscape rake can not engage the ground like a scraper blade, or box blade can.
but my rake should be able to work as a back blade (with big holes in it)!

Has anyone modified their rake with weights? And are you willing to share some pictures?

Somewhat unrelated, but from he same thread as my previous quote:
Thank you for this post. I read about using a landscape rake as a snow plow years ago, but at that time I did not have a gravel drive, so it was forgotten. I currently have a large gravel area to plow snow from. Because the area is not flat, it was a pain to plow with a front blade. After we got 7+ inches of snow last night, I decided to give the landscape rake a try. The landscape rake made plowing the gravel area a breeze. It took a fraction of the time that plowing with a blade took & very little gravel was pulled up.
I can't find anymore info on plowing with the rake. Does anyone have a video?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did it earlier this year, love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Raking gravel will ultimately bring all the larger stones to the surface, and drop the fines resulting in a looser top material. Ideally you want to keep the fines in with your gravel for it to behave under traffic and stay structural. Nothing wrong with using your rake as a multi tool, just be aware of what it will do to the gravel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did it earlier this year, love it.
This is why I wanted to see pics. Your setup is much simpler than the contraption I was dreaming up!

Raking gravel will ultimately bring all the larger stones to the surface, and drop the fines resulting in a looser top material. Ideally you want to keep the fines in with your gravel for it to behave under traffic and stay structural.
Very true. Even if you are moving the material by hand, you should use a lute or shovel instead of a rake. Segregation is one of the biggest issues people have with gravel. My intended use is not gravel.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Identical to the way I weight my own 5' rake. And I've pulled many, many tons of dirt with my rakes over the years, so don't let someone tell you it's not a practical tool for doing just that. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I have an 8ft landscape/rock rake. I have added wheels to it to better be able to control the depth. With the hyd top link, it is very easy to vary the amount of dig it does. I use it on my gravel driveways to keep them looking good. I can't think of a better way.

Dave

·
Registered
650 Posts
I use my landscape rake to level the driveway after adding gravel.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts