Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My laptop, a Dell Inspiron E1705, only has a 100gig HDD. I want to replace it with a larger one as I'm running it right at capacity and I believe it's 5 years old now. Getting a new drive and physically installing it isn't a problem. My questions is how do I clone the drive I have now?

Any recommendations on a replacement drive? I'd like to have the John Deere of HDDs. :lol: Only the best will do.:good2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure if it applies to your situation or not, but have you ever considered a network attached drive (NAS)?
I put all my pics, movies, music and misc files on one and that frees up my laptop, plus everyone else in my household can access the same files.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are running windows vista or higher up, there should be a program under "maintenace" to make a backup or restore disk. All the disks I made needed DVD blanks to use it. I had to do the same thing for my laptop and worked great. Just make sure if there is anything you can't live without like pictures, I like to put them on jump drives. Or you can purchase an external hard drive and do a back up on that. I use a 1tb hard drive and save every thing to that. Also make sure you have your cd key handy just in case.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Jason,there are plenty of freeware programs that will clone. Maybe do some homework/research and find a good one. Personally,for my drives I use a company called Acronis. True Image Home 2012 is what would be used for the cloning.
As for the John Deere of drives,IMO an SSD. OCZ's Vertex 4 series to be specific would be the ticket,but you'd have to make sure your motherboard would support one.

Greg

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
Not sure if it applies to your situation or not, but have you ever considered a network attached drive (NAS)?
I put all my pics, movies, music and misc files on one and that frees up my laptop, plus everyone else in my household can access the same files.
I use a NAS as a simple file server and backup device for our PC's and laptop. I have it in a RAID 1 configuration. I would just copy the disk to another computer or NAS, then copy it back to the new hard drive. I'm not sure if the OS will be happy with such a simplistic approach.

As for the John Deere of drives,IMO an SSD. OCZ's Vertex 4 series to be specific would be the ticket,but you'd have to make sure your motherboard would support one.

Greg
Given the age of the laptop, I suspect his motherboard won't support a SSD (Solid State Disk). At five years of age, it may be nearing time to replace the laptop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Everyone has their favorite but I recommend EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition. It is freeware, it has a wizard that helps to do exactly what you are looking for, and is very user friendly.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts
My laptop, a Dell Inspiron E1705, only has a 100gig HDD. I want to replace it with a larger one as I'm running it right at capacity and I believe it's 5 years old now. Getting a new drive and physically installing it isn't a problem. My questions is how do I clone the drive I have now?

Any recommendations on a replacement drive? I'd like to have the John Deere of HDDs. :lol: Only the best will do.:good2:
Talk about spending moldy money.:lol: Buy a new computer first, you probably have every dime you ever made.
We use Acronis at work but I agree with others, NAS or external Hard Drive.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Talk about spending moldy money.:lol: Buy a new computer first, you probably have every dime you ever made.
:mocking::mocking::mocking:

Really Jason. It's about time. You're upgrading your tractor,'bout time to upgrade your 'puter too.:)
I've had mine now for 5 years,and I can't wait to put my Newegg wish list in the checkout basket, so I can start putting together my new gaming rig!:thumbup1gif:

Greg

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:mocking::mocking::mocking:

Really Jason. It's about time. You're upgrading your tractor,'bout time to upgrade your 'puter too.:)
I've had mine now for 5 years,and I can't wait to put my Newegg wish list in the checkout basket, so I can start putting together my new gaming rig!:thumbup1gif:

Greg
I know I know.......but it's working just fine.:lol: I probably should just bite the bullet and upgrade. Now what to upgrade to...

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Now what to upgrade to...
If you're after a full tower gaming rig,I can help.:thumbup1gif: Anything else,like a laptop.No can do.:unknown:

Greg

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No Macs... I'm already shackled enough to Apple with my iPhone.

Sorry Greg, no towers either. I need a portable machine, so it'll be another laptop, a 17" screen and hopefully with a back-lit keyboard, tons of RAM, a good fast processor, and a decent size HDD.:good2: I'd love to have a SSD!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts
No Macs... I'm already shackled enough to Apple with my iPhone.

Sorry Greg, no towers either. I need a portable machine, so it'll be another laptop, a 17" screen and hopefully with a back-lit keyboard, tons of RAM, a good fast processor, and a decent size HDD.:good2: I'd love to have a SSD!
I still don't trust the longevity of the SSD's yet.

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Needs to be a HD screen too. I'm having a hard time seeing Gizmo's new chainsaw pictures on this current one.....:munch:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
Since you want a laptop with 17" screen; that pretty much leaves Dell and HP. My wife is happy with her 2-year old Dell with 17" screen I spec'd out for her, and a friend has a 17" HP that I spec'd out for her.

Without checking, I assume Gateway is still in business; but I have no idea what their current offerings are like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts