Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My neighbor Caesar was going by a home that had 'slabs' of wood in their driveway. The wood was Hemlock and he wondered what I thought of Hemlock for a dining table. I said it wood probably be fine but I had no experience with Hemlock. The seller was asking $100/slab, there were ten (10) slabs.
Tire Wood Road surface Wheel Asphalt

Caesar offered $400 for the lot and noticed the home owner was painting his gutters.

Caesar, being a professional painter and a 'wheeler/dealer', offered to finish the painting for all the Hemlock. The rest is about to be history. I'm building his 80" X 44" Dining Table. Hemlock is not the greatest to work with but it's coming along. The top is all glued and I've begun making the legs, apron boards, and 6" 'bread-board' ends.

Table Wood Hardwood Flooring Composite material
Wood Workbench Machine tool Gas Engineering
Wood Wall Hardwood Composite material Wood stain

This is the look I'm going for . . .
Furniture Table Rectangle Wood Outdoor furniture

Premium Member
I love the look of hemlock. Anxious to see what you do with it Marlin. Nice score

Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
Marlin, you are amazing........Glad to see you working hard at another project and I take that as a sign you are feeling well and your health is cooperative with your always busy schedule.........which is great to see.........

Registered
Love your projects. Cant wait to see how this one comes out.

Premium Member
Marlin, you are amazing........Glad to see you working hard at another project and I take that as a sign you are feeling well and your health is cooperative with your always busy schedule.........which is great to see.........
Love your projects. Cant wait to see how this one comes out.
Yep,, always glad to see his projects and have never been disappointed.

Now just waiting for the finish table. and my guess it will look amazing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, looks like I haven't updated this post in a little while.

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments. I'm far from a "professional" but I keep building, I keep learning.

I added a little to my initial post above . . . a picture of the Hemlock in the sellers driveway, and a little to the narrative before the picture.

My part of the table build is finished. Caesar will check the table, do a little finish sanding, and then stain it and apply the 'topcoat' to match chairs.

Table Furniture Wood Hardwood Road surface
Wood Road surface Trunk Floor Flooring
Table Furniture Wood Flooring Floor
Furniture Table Wheel Tire Outdoor bench
Table Wood Flooring Composite material Automotive exterior

(In some pictures water was sprayed on the top to get the grain to 'pop'.

Looks really nice. Don't think I've ever worked Hemlock, but it's pretty hard isn't it? Harder than Oak maybe? How was it to cut + sand?
Most of it was fine to work, several boards seem to generate 'splinters' when cut or routed. It's hard but not as hard as Ash or Maple, or Oak for that matter.

Well 鈥 I have about 30 2鈥 thick hemlock live edge slabs drying for more that a year & can make a deal for any woodworkers nearby. 馃憣
So I'm wondering where you are located?

SullyBear . . . I do feel fine most of the time, but when I do have pain I just work through it. Not work . . . the pain is much more severe, so I keep busy. Honestly I get tired of it but I'm so thankful and blessed that I can work in my shop and around the place.

Hmmm. Do you operate a business or sell your projects? I鈥檓 near you over off of Farmington and would be interested in a live edge dining table if you do sell your projects.
No business, I'm no 'pro' by a long shot . . . But that being said I would be interested in building you a table.

If you're really interested send me a 'pm' via this website and I'll send you my address.

Premium Member
Well, looks like I haven't updated this post in a little while.

So I'm wondering where you are located?
Marlin 鈥 we are located near Snohomish, WA 鈥 about 10 miles east of Everett and maybe 40 miles NE of Seattle.

Steve

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Marlin 鈥 we are located near Snohomish, WA 鈥 about 10 miles east of Everett and maybe 40 miles NE of Seattle.

Steve
Steve ~ If you weren't so far away I'd make the drive and with diesel so high . . . well move closer and I'll come for a few slabs.

A few pics of live edge slabs 鈥 drying for 18 months, sealed on ends. 7 that are 6-1/2 feet, the rest 8-9 feet. View attachment 857773
View attachment 857774
View attachment 857772
Beautiful . . I'll bet it is nice to have that kind of room for drying. My BIL in Clatskanie made himself a kiln for drying. He had a small container brought to his place and with an AC unit and dehumidifier he drys his slabs. (He's able to load his trailer and back it into the container.

Really cool I think . . .

Premium Member
Looks like there鈥檚 room for some maple slabs in there鈥.. 馃槵

Premium Member
Marlin,, table lookd great... as usual (y) (y) (y) (y)

Reactions: Mackford13
1 - 18 of 18 Posts