Green Tractor Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an Allis man. I have acquired a large John Deere sign I am going to sell I just don't know what a fair price for it would be. From the information I seen I believe it is from the 30's or 40's. It is metal and is double faced sided prolly 30"-36" tall and 60"-72" long. Says, John Deere - Quality Farm Implements and has a deer in the middle of it running. I saw an auction page where one like this sold for $4800 but it was mint and I know this isn't worth that. It does have some damage to it but I know people like to dress their shops up with these things. I can text or email pictures to anyone with advice or information they would like to pass on. I don't get on here very much so communication needs to me done through email or phone. (573-three zero one-8833 or [email protected])

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Since you are an Allis man

I am an Allis man. I have acquired a large John Deere sign I am going to sell I just don't know what a fair price for it would be. From the information I seen I believe it is from the 30's or 40's. It is metal and is double faced sided prolly 30"-36" tall and 60"-72" long. Says, John Deere - Quality Farm Implements and has a deer in the middle of it running. I saw an auction page where one like this sold for $4800 but it was mint and I know this isn't worth that. It does have some damage to it but I know people like to dress their shops up with these things. I can text or email pictures to anyone with advice or information they would like to pass on. I don't get on here very much so communication needs to me done through email or phone. (573-three zero one-8833 or [email protected])
LOL, since you are an Allis man, I know you don't want that thing cluttering up your space. If you want to pay for shipping I'll store it here for you and you can come look at it whenever you want.

Just kidding, I would think a dealer/collector would really want it but unfortunately I have no idea of the price. I can't imagine paying $4,800 for it but it may be worth that to the right person.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Can we see a pic??

Is it painted metal, or porcelain??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am an Allis man because that is what I know. I joined to inquire information on it, yes. Maybe you all could convince me to buy the green paint, never know. The $4800 sign I saw was mint. This sign is far from that. I wouldn't ever pay that for a sign anyway but some people have more money than brains.

I would have to double check but I pretty sure it is painted metal. In my searching I don't recall seeing one that was double sided like mine. I'm not saying what I have is a "holy grail" or anything. I was limited to knowledge to what I could find on Google hence why I came here, for information better than Google.

As stated before Addy I do intend to sell this sign. I am looking for information first. I am a sucker for history so I like to learn about things first. I do intend to sell it once I have learned about it.

I will try to post the one picture of it if I can figure out how. I believe it's the worst of the two sides tho.

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Picture of sign. Sorry it's upside down. I was lucky to get this far.
Doesn't look like it even warrants the shipping charges!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Would have been worth more if they had painted it right side up!

Made by the Burdick-Enamel Sign Co- chicago circa 1900?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its not worth anything then I just hang it up in the bar for decoration. Might be a spot to put above the urinals that have a Cubs symbol in one and Blackhawks in the other that you can piss on when taking a leak.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
If its not worth anything then I just hang it up in the bar for decoration. Might be a spot to put above the urinals that have a Cubs symbol in one and Blackhawks in the other that you can piss on when taking a leak.
From what I have seen at the auctions I have been too over the years most all these old signs and advertising material has value of some sort. It's a rough looking sign and it's not porcelain so that obviously hurts it but I wouldn't say it's worthless by any means. It's value may be low but its worth something.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
allisman,

My part-time job is appraising Vintage Signage. :thumbup1gif:

That sign is worth $57.32.

From reading your original post, I suspect you have no use for it.

To help in your endeavor to rid ownership of said sign, I am willing to make a one-time offer of $99.05, in hopes the value will increase over time. That is almost double today's appraisal value. :good2:

:gizmo: :gizmo:

Awaiting your reply,

Acme EZ-Money Appraisal Services, Inc.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
allisman,

My part-time job is appraising Vintage Signage. :thumbup1gif:

That sign is worth $57.32.

From reading your original post, I suspect you have no use for it.

To help in your endeavor to rid ownership of said sign, I am willing to make a one-time offer of $99.05, in hopes the value will increase over time. That is almost double today's appraisal value. :good2:

:gizmo: :gizmo:

Awaiting your reply,

Acme EZ-Money Appraisal Services, Inc.

Actually 100 bucks is what i thought was the high end. I saw a sign close to it sell in farm auction three years ago for 100$ On these condition is every thing. good luck. :good2:

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Actually 100 bucks is what i thought was the high end. I saw a sign close to it sell in farm auction three years ago for 100$ On these condition is every thing. good luck. :good2:
I'm no authority on old signs but, as with all vintage items, condition is everything. I would agree $100- $150 is the upper range. I'd gladly find a place for it in my barn...it is a piece of authentic Deere history regardless of condition.

At auction, all you need is two guys who want it badly enough and the sky is the limit. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
definitely has value, and I don't blame you for looking for info - I'd do the same.

It's a big sign, and double sided, and somewhat old. It's not in great shape (as you've stated clearly), but it's still pretty cool. Not gonna be in the Deere hall of fame, but i'd love it in my barn. I'd give you 200$ CDN ish for it (worth roughly $7USD). If you happen to be coming to Saskatchewan sometime soon, throw it in the back and drop it off!!

-J.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.