Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the largest, most CCC capacity battery for the 1025r with a 55-amp generator ???. I am new to SCUT's and am thinking about mounting a winch (10,000 lbs) to the 1025r. This thing needs a lot of battery power.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
What is the largest, most CCC capacity battery for the 1025r with a 55-amp generator ???. I am new to SCUT's and am thinking about mounting a winch (10,000 lbs) to the 1025r. This thing needs a lot of battery power.

Thank you in advance.
The 500CCA battery supplied with the machine is the biggest that will fit in the battery holder. It is what it is. Cannot find anything that firs and has more.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
How many amps will the winch you are going to use draw at 12 VDC. That is the question that needs to be answered. If you have a 55 amp alternator on your 1025R, your shouldn't work the alternator contiually above about 40 amps of output. So, if you have a 1/2 hp winch, the winch will draw about 31 amps at 12 VDC. This would bo doable with your alternator as long as you do not have the lights turned on.

Essentially, you really don't want to run an assessory that draws more than you alternator output is. This will draw down you battery and batteries are not designed to be used this way unless it is a deep cycle battery.

·
Administrator
18,287 Posts
Why do you need a 10k winch on a 2k tractor? If your pulling something that heavy-you'll just move the tractor and not the object.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Why do you need a 10k winch on a 2k tractor? If your pulling something that heavy-you'll just move the tractor and not the object.
Unless you chain the back of the tractor to your pickup truck. LOL!! OH, then you may as well put the winch on the truck to start with!! :dunno:

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Unless you chain the back of the tractor to your pickup truck. LOL!! OH, then you may as well put the winch on the truck to start with!! :dunno:
Would be interesting to test that out.... Chain the truck to an immovable object, chain the subcompact tractor to the truck, attach that 10k winch cable (on the tractor) to something REALLY heavy and then see what gives first.

A) The immovable object?
B) The Truck
C) The SCUT
D) The Winch Cable

Let's video that. Would probably be like those chain strength testing videos on Kenny's website! :good2: :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,853 Posts
Wouldn’t be my truck or tractor in that test. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,702 Posts
Would be interesting to test that out.... Chain the truck to an immovable object, chain the subcompact tractor to the truck, attach that 10k winch cable (on the tractor) to something REALLY heavy and then see what gives first.

A) The immovable object?
B) The Truck
C) The SCUT
D) The Winch Cable

Let's video that. Would probably be like those chain strength testing videos on Kenny's website! :good2: :laugh:
Someone has already performed that test.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Several years ago I had a buddy of mine that wanted me to bring my winch-equipped Jeep over to drag a shipping container across the ground. First question was "What capacity is your winch?". "8000 lbs." "Well, the container weighs less than that." "But my Jeep weighs less than the container." "We can put a tow strap between your Jeep and my Jeep - that way combined, they outweigh the container." "Uh... NO!!!" :banghead: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What is the largest, most CCC capacity battery for the 1025r with a 55-amp generator ???.
A 10K winch is going to draw around 200 amps. I think that is a bit much for a small tractor, but it depends upon how often it is used. Once a week for a few minutes isn't going to be a problem but if it used daily, or multiple times a day then I think your battery is going to need to be replaced more frequently.

The alternator is not an issue, unless the winch is used so often that the alternator is not given time to replace the charge used up by the winch. Which I would for allow about ten minutes for every minute of winch use, preferably more.

I would definitely consider a smaller winch that doesn't hit the battery so hard.

Another option is to look into AGM deep cycle batteries. They can be installed in any orientation so it may be possible to find a much larger one that will fit on end in the battery tray - and they are better suited to being drawn down than a starting battery. You would need to find a way to secure it of course.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Reactions: glc and JD4044M

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts

Thank you in advance.
In the best interest of a happy tractor and to prevent problems, I would mount a much smaller winch on the 1025R, maybe 2,500lb or at max 5,000lb. A 10k winch is going to pull a lot of amps and the 1 series tractor battery is not designed to be "Drawn Down" and recharged by the alternator to the extent the 10k winch will pull electricity.

Realistically, unless you anchor the tractor, anything which weighs more than the tractor is going to result in the tractor being pulled to the item you are hooked to with the winch cable. If it were mine, I would install a Deep Cycle battery in a battery box and hook the winch to that battery. Then you could add a charging leg from the tractor to the deep cycle battery and leave the tractor battery and the electrical system out of the direct drain of the winch amp draw.

It's not really the matter of a "Larger Battery" for the tractor, its a matter of the type of battery. The tractor's battery is intended to have the load pulled from it during use which is starting the tractor and almost instantly, the alternator is already recharging the battery. While using the tractor, amps are drawn from the battery which are easily replaced by the alternator. But add in a 10k winch on the existing tractor battery and using the winch to draw on the tractor chassis battery, and you have changed the entire load on the battery and charging system dramatically.

The amp draw of the winch is dramatically more than the weight of the tractor can offset in a pull as ballast. The 10k winch is basically overkill on a 2,000 pound tractor and it not only stresses the battery and electrical system needlessly, the winch in theory could put the tractor up in a tree, if the cable is hooked correctly or incorrectly, depending upon how you are looking at it.

The topic of winches on these small tractors has come up quite a bit recently. I have a winch to add to mine, but it's much smaller. The winch I am going to add is 3500 lbs. ATV/Utility Electric Winch with Automatic Load-Holding Brake

Even with this winch, I plan to have a deep cycle battery for it to draw on and mount the winch and battery so it can be removed from the tractor. Most likely will mount it on a 2" receiver hitch mount and use the winch mount designed to contain the winch and battery, perhaps like this unit;

Hitch Receiver Mount for Winches

The small winch doesn't weigh nearly as much and the style of the mount provides a way to lift the winch and battery in one unit. The battery would likely be the heaviest part of the entire unit. A smaller winch means a smaller deep cycle battery which not only costs less, but weighs less. And also a system which is largely independent of the tractor's electrical system, which I feel is an important goal, other than providing a means of charging the deep cycle battery.

Also, as a point of safety, be extremely careful where you anchor the winch on the tractor and where you pull from. Do not pull from the 3 point hitch arms or on an anchor point above the rear axle line of the tractor or you can rotate the tractor up and over backwards. It happens more often than people like to think, whether it's a winch or another pull method by or from the tractor, safety has to be paramount.

Please make sure to let us know what you end up mounting and include photos of the tractor and winch system so show us how you decided to add it to your tractor. We all enjoy seeing how others use their tractors.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Do not pull from the 3 point hitch arms or on an anchor point above the rear axle line of the tractor or you can rotate the tractor up and over backwards.
I'd like to point out that where the axle is in relation to where you pull from plays no part in wether or not you'll pull the tractor over backwards.

Obviously, below the axle is lower than above the axle, so it is good advice. What is important is not to think that you can't be pulled over because you hooked below the axle.

The reason is that the wheels are not turning. You would have the brakes on so the fact that there is an axle somewhere is irrelevant. It might as be welded together as one single component. On the one series tractor the axle is pretty low to begin with so it is not so much of a concern but on larger tractors with tall wheels you can hook below the axle and still be pulled over backwards.

See this picture as an example;

Attachments

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I agree with the other posters.
There is no reason at all to run a 10,000 pound winch on a 2,000 pound tractor. Youll likely damage the tractor before you max the winch out.
Everyone has mentioned some smaller options, but Ill take a different approach and ask a couple questions.

Why do you need a winch?
To that answer, Why do you need such a large winch?

Reactions: apple2gs and glc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great idea. I had no idea what I needed to operate the winch safely.

A 10K winch is going to draw around 200 amps. I think that is a bit much for a small tractor, but it depends upon how often it is used. Once a week for a few minutes isn't going to be a problem but if it used daily, or multiple times a day then I think your battery is going to need to be replaced more frequently.

The alternator is not an issue, unless the winch is used so often that the alternator is not given time to replace the charge used up by the winch. Which I would for allow about ten minutes for every minute of winch use, preferably more.

I would definitely consider a smaller winch that doesn't hit the battery so hard.

Another option is to look into AGM deep cycle batteries. They can be installed in any orientation so it may be possible to find a much larger one that will fit on end in the battery tray - and they are better suited to being drawn down than a starting battery. You would need to find a way to secure it of course.
I had no idea what I needed to operate the winch safely. Now to find a deep cycle battery that would fit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well...

I agree with the other posters.
There is no reason at all to run a 10,000 pound winch on a 2,000 pound tractor. Youll likely damage the tractor before you max the winch out.
Everyone has mentioned some smaller options, but Ill take a different approach and ask a couple questions.

Why do you need a winch?
To that answer, Why do you need such a large winch?
The winch was very inexpensive, and I want to be able to drag items if necessary from places the 1025R can't get to, but can get close.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
battery

In the best interest of a happy tractor and to prevent problems, I would mount a much smaller winch on the 1025R, maybe 2,500lb or at max 5,000lb. A 10k winch is going to pull a lot of amps and the 1 series tractor battery is not designed to be "Drawn Down" and recharged by the alternator to the extent the 10k winch will pull electricity.

Realistically, unless you anchor the tractor, anything which weighs more than the tractor is going to result in the tractor being pulled to the item you are hooked to with the winch cable. If it were mine, I would install a Deep Cycle battery in a battery box and hook the winch to that battery. Then you could add a charging leg from the tractor to the deep cycle battery and leave the tractor battery and the electrical system out of the direct drain of the winch amp draw.

It's not really the matter of a "Larger Battery" for the tractor, its a matter of the type of battery. The tractor's battery is intended to have the load pulled from it during use which is starting the tractor and almost instantly, the alternator is already recharging the battery. While using the tractor, amps are drawn from the battery which are easily replaced by the alternator. But add in a 10k winch on the existing tractor battery and using the winch to draw on the tractor chassis battery, and you have changed the entire load on the battery and charging system dramatically.

The amp draw of the winch is dramatically more than the weight of the tractor can offset in a pull as ballast. The 10k winch is basically overkill on a 2,000 pound tractor and it not only stresses the battery and electrical system needlessly, the winch in theory could put the tractor up in a tree, if the cable is hooked correctly or incorrectly, depending upon how you are looking at it.

The topic of winches on these small tractors has come up quite a bit recently. I have a winch to add to mine, but it's much smaller. The winch I am going to add is 3500 lbs. ATV/Utility Electric Winch with Automatic Load-Holding Brake

Even with this winch, I plan to have a deep cycle battery for it to draw on and mount the winch and battery so it can be removed from the tractor. Most likely will mount it on a 2" receiver hitch mount and use the winch mount designed to contain the winch and battery, perhaps like this unit;

Hitch Receiver Mount for Winches

The small winch doesn't weigh nearly as much and the style of the mount provides a way to lift the winch and battery in one unit. The battery would likely be the heaviest part of the entire unit. A smaller winch means a smaller deep cycle battery which not only costs less, but weighs less. And also a system which is largely independent of the tractor's electrical system, which I feel is an important goal, other than providing a means of charging the deep cycle battery.

Also, as a point of safety, be extremely careful where you anchor the winch on the tractor and where you pull from. Do not pull from the 3 point hitch arms or on an anchor point above the rear axle line of the tractor or you can rotate the tractor up and over backwards. It happens more often than people like to think, whether it's a winch or another pull method by or from the tractor, safety has to be paramount.

Please make sure to let us know what you end up mounting and include photos of the tractor and winch system so show us how you decided to add it to your tractor. We all enjoy seeing how others use their tractors.
What battery did you end up getting?

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
What battery did you end up getting?
Note, the winch battery is in addition to the tractor battery. Here it is. The battery cost more than the winch and other pieces all added together. But it's the best way to pull the load of a winch.

I have also used these batteries in my race car and other special applications where I need a small size and a lot of cranking power. But as you will see, they are not cheap at about $200 (roughly). This is a deep cycle battery as well.......

Note the physical dimensions of this battery as it is small. I want to keep the winch assembly as "compact" as possible so it was not taking up space on the 3 point carrier. I also put the battery in a separate battery box to keep it out of the elements.

Battery, 12 V, Deep Cycle/Starting, 550 Cranking Amps, 6.5 in. L, 4.92 in. H, 6.93 in. W, Top Mount, Each $179.99

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/xsp-d925/overview/

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
What would be the main issue with using the tractor battery for the winch?

I have the winch power cables long on my I-Match receiver so I can also use the ballast box receiver hitch too.

The small black wires coming from battery to the back of the tractor are for my 12V sprayer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What would be the main issue with using the tractor battery for the winch...
The tractor battery is a starting battery, it is good for delivering high amperage for a short period of time. If you operate the winch for only a couple minutes, a couple times a week, then using a starting battery would be okay.

If if you use the winch, or any high draw device, frequently or for extended periods you will ruin a starting battery. What you need in that case is a deep cycle battery. They can be safely drawn down much further than a starting battery, though they are significantly more expensive.

You would also also need to size the deep cycle battery properly for the expected loads and the rate of charge available between uses.

But really, if you are only using the winch occasionally I wouldn’t worry about it. You may need to replace the battery a little sooner, maybe not. If you do, replace it with the best battery you can.

I would only invest in upgrading the electrical system if the winch was going to be used on a regular basis, or for extended periods of time.

Reactions: glc
1 - 20 of 30 Posts