Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone mentioned Larry's mower deck axle kit and after I saw it, I had to have it. I ordered the set for the 60D auto-disconect deck on my 1025R. It was $149 which is kinda $$$ , but it is really a awesome kit and comes with fully machined axles that hold the 8 inch wheels in the correct position and it is a plug and play kit. Timing was perfect because UPS brought the kit today and my tractor arrived today. I am absolutely spoiled because last year I installed a 4 post lift in my shop so I can change the oil and etc. on our vehicles with out laying on the floor. So today I raised the lift up to the top and then drove the 1025 directly under one end so that the front of the deck would be lined up with the end rail of the lift. Then I disconnected the deck and backed off of it. Then I lowered the lift so it was just above the deck and took a ratcheting strap and connected it to the bar where it connects to the front of the deck. Then I just raised the lift and the deck slowing raised off of the floor and I raised it until it was hanging vertically 10 inchs or so off of the floor. Then I removed the corner wheels and installed Larry's axle kit and then just slowly lowerd the lift until the wheels hit the floor, unhooked my strap and rolled the deck over to the wall. No muscles used for anything. When I go to put it back on, I'll just reverse the procedure. It all worked together perfect!

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Yup, he make great stuff for sure. Mine have served me for almost 10 years now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No pics?

No pictures?
Doesn't count til we ALL see pictures!
:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Someone mentioned Larry's mower deck axle kit and after I saw it, I had to have it. I ordered the set for the 60D auto-disconect deck on my 1025R. It was $149 which is kinda $$$ , but it is really a awesome kit and comes with fully machined axles that hold the 8 inch wheels in the correct position and it is a plug and play kit. Timing was perfect because UPS brought the kit today and my tractor arrived today. I am absolutely spoiled because last year I installed a 4 post lift in my shop so I can change the oil and etc. on our vehicles with out laying on the floor. So today I raised the lift up to the top and then drove the 1025 directly under one end so that the front of the deck would be lined up with the end rail of the lift. Then I disconnected the deck and backed off of it. Then I lowered the lift so it was just above the deck and took a ratcheting strap and connected it to the bar where it connects to the front of the deck. Then I just raised the lift and the deck slowing raised off of the floor and I raised it until it was hanging vertically 10 inchs or so off of the floor. Then I removed the corner wheels and installed Larry's axle kit and then just slowly lowerd the lift until the wheels hit the floor, unhooked my strap and rolled the deck over to the wall. No muscles used for anything. When I go to put it back on, I'll just reverse the procedure. It all worked together perfect!
Good job! I wish I had the 4 post lift in my garage. I have Larry's wheels and they are great. I have my deck stored in an alcove in my garage... out of the way completely! I use my FEL with nylon straps to raise the deck vertically - works perfectly.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I purchased one of the mower deck axle kits for my 60" MMM. It is an awesome kit, easy to install and provides a very stable way to store my MMM for the winter. This will also make cleaning the bottom of the deck and replacing blades WAY easier. Will make sure the deck is secured before I work on it to prevent accidently tipping it over although I think I would have to try pretty hard to do that.

QUESTIION: I have seen comments that the gearbox vent needs to be removed and replaced with a plug. What is the size for the replacement plug? BTW, mine has been "stored" since Saturday and nothing has dripped out, yet. I did place a drip pan under it, just in case.

Terrific product, high quality materials and workmanship, fast shipping. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
QUESTIION: I have seen comments that the gearbox vent needs to be removed and replaced with a plug. What is the size for the replacement plug? BTW, mine has been "stored" since Saturday and nothing has dripped out, yet. I did place a drip pan under it, just in case.
The info I'm finding is 1/8 NPT (27 tpi). The vent may or may not ever leak when the deck is stored standing up on edge, but it is possible. According to what I've found the pressure rating for the vent is 0.43 PSI, which isn't very much. The engineering detail shows a flat seal being held by a relief spring. For winter storage, it probably would be a good idea to remove the vent and use a plug, since storing it on edge would put the gear oil to the area of the gearbox where the vent is.

Attachments

Reactions: Jep and North585

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info on the plug. I will stop by the hardware store tomorrow and pick one up. Still no leaks after another day stored on the wheels. Although it has been rather cold, gear oil probably pretty thick right now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine hasn't leaked for the last two winters that it has been stored upright.

Reactions: kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
I thought it wass 1/4 inch. My deck leaks without it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I took the part number from the parts catalog and did some research. Everything's coming up 1/8" NPT. John Deere part number JD5801.

2018-12-19 21.05.24.jpg

What do you mean, your deck leaks without it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I took the part number from the parts catalog and did some research. Everything's coming up 1/8" NPT. John Deere part number JD5801.

View attachment 662924

What do you mean, your deck leaks without it?
The breather leaks oil without removing and replacing with the plug. I am cleaning the deck today and will check the plug.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I see you mean 1/8 by 27 thread....I was just talking about the diameter of the hole.

I went to the hardware store and bought 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch pipe plugs. Tried each and the 1/4 inch fit and stopped the leaking.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
I see you mean 1/8 by 27 thread....I was just talking about the diameter of the hole.

I went to the hardware store and bought 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch pipe plugs. Tried each and the 1/4 inch fit and stopped the leaking.

I see what you mean.

Yeah, it's goofy how NPT fittings are named. 1/8 NPT takes a 21/64" drill bit...basically a 5/16" hole, which is slightly bigger than what a 1/4-28 plug would require. And since it's 27 threads versus 28, it's so close that the 1/4" would work. Just don't crank it in too far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts