Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photos of last days

Video of Last Days

End of an era. I had two Ford Rangers, a 88 and my current 97. Great little trucks. Too bad Ford decided that the new redesign made available for the rest of the world is too much competition for the F150 sales.

·
Registered
489 Posts
End of an era. I had two Ford Rangers, a 88 and my current 97. Great little trucks. Too bad Ford decided that the new redesign made available for the rest of the world is too much competition for the F150 sales.
T-Mo,

That is so sad and that's the reason I have never bought a foreign branded car, truck, yacht, airplane or tractor. Yes, I have owned vehicles in all of these catagories.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had a 1982 Ranger the first year they came out, they were built in Loiseville KY, The sad part is when that last Ranger rolled off the line, the plant closed. I have done demalition and environmental site clean up on way to many auto plants that have closed do to outsourcing.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I am not a Ford guy. Rumor has the colorado will be dropped soon. I do not understand why the big 3 would stop makeing small trucks. I have 2 pickups, a dodge 3/4 ton & a chev colorado. I use the small chev most of the time as it gets 18 mpg . The dodge has a hard time getting 10 mpg,but if it is almost allways towing something.

Can't go by the brand name any more. My next truck may be a toyota as they are made here,while the dodge [I mean Ram] is made south of the border.:nunu:

·
Administrator
20,983 Posts
My next truck may be a toyota as they are made here
There is a difference between made here and assembled by robots with foreign parts. Not a lot is made here in the US anymore...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I am not a Ford guy. Rumor has the colorado will be dropped soon. I do not understand why the big 3 would stop makeing small trucks. I have 2 pickups, a dodge 3/4 ton & a chev colorado. I use the small chev most of the time as it gets 18 mpg . The dodge has a hard time getting 10 mpg,but if it is almost allways towing something.

Can't go by the brand name any more. My next truck may be a toyota as they are made here,while the dodge [I mean Ram] is made south of the border.:nunu:
You just answered your own question, Toyota has pretty much claimed the small pickup category. I see a lot of people with Honda Ridgelines as well.

·
Premium Member
8,090 Posts
You just answered your own question, Toyota has pretty much claimed the small pickup category. I see a lot of people with Honda Ridgelines as well.
As much as I like our Honda vehicles; I do not consider the Ridgeline a pickup due to the small bed and wouldn't own one. Since I won't consider a GM vehicle; if I were in the market for a small pickup, it would be a Toyota followed by a Nissan. Yes, I know the beds on Toyota's and Nissan's are small too when compared to my F-250; they just seem more like trucks than the Ridgeline does.

·
Registered
111 Posts
all the trucks are getting bigger, the current tacoma is as big as the last generation tundra. the ranger has grown bigger, I know the colorado is bigger than the S10 it replaced. does Nissan even make the frontiers any more?
I hate to say it but I would own a Mitsubishi L200 if I could get one in the states!

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A couple of corrections here.

First, the Ford Ranger that's sold here hasn't changed in size, except for some minor increases in the cab, and that, I repeat, was minor. Now Ford had their full size trucks prior to the compact Ranger that carried the name Ranger, but it was a trim level and when Ford brought out their compact "Ranger" the full size one went away.

Second, and this is just second and third hand knowledge, GM is replacing the Colorado with another small truck. From what I read, it will be the size of the current Colorado and will pick up the front end styling cues of the current Chevy line.

And Nissan still makes the Frontier, and it's about the size of a new Tacoma.

Also, there's been rumors that Dodge will introduce a vehicle similar to the Honda Ridgeline, built on the Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango chassis.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know if you guys saw THIS little hunny but I'll bet it would be a blast to drive...Ranger with a Coyote 5.0 inside...It's on the Ford Truck enthusiast website...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I find all these closings sad. I am still a buy "big 3" guy which I know is ignorant as a lot of the foreign vehicles are more American than the big 3 brands.

I am still all about supporting America and do it whenever I can but the part that bothers me is I think we have done it to ourselves. I realize this doesn't hold true everywhere but half our problem is our society has a terrible work ethic these days. A lot of the younger generation feels "entitled".

Not sure what we expect. We don't want to work and other countries/nationalities will. Pretty obvious where that is going to get us.

Wish I knew what the answer is but I don't. Feel bad for the people that do want to work and are losing their jobs.

When they come up with a way to do it I will be first in line to do it. And in my eyes the whole governmental motors deal was not it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I find all these closings sad. I am still a buy "big 3" guy which I know is ignorant as a lot of the foreign vehicles are more American than the big 3 brands.

I am still all about supporting America and do it whenever I can but the part that bothers me is I think we have done it to ourselves. I realize this doesn't hold true everywhere but half our problem is our society has a terrible work ethic these days. A lot of the younger generation feels "entitled".

Not sure what we expect. We don't want to work and other countries/nationalities will. Pretty obvious where that is going to get us.

Wish I knew what the answer is but I don't. Feel bad for the people that do want to work and are losing their jobs.

When they come up with a way to do it I will be first in line to do it. And in my eyes the whole governmental motors deal was not it.
My wife works at the Carrier plant here in Tyler. This will be her 20th year there.For the last 2 years they have been shutting down production lines and sending them to Mexico. They will send the last line down next december and close the plant....thats been here since the 40's. Being that I'm in the HVAC biz, I try to sell alot of Carrier products. Well...monday I get a call from one of my customers where I had installed a new complete system in his home last year. Turns out the indoor evaporator coil was leaking.(made in Mexico naturally) Its under warranty and I go to get a new one....it took opening 11 different evap coil boxes to find a good one....here is a couple of pics of what I found that was typical. This makes me so mad I could spit nails! Of course the price of the equipment isnt going down....Carrier will make even more profits ...but we in the field repairing/installing have to absorb the cost of replacement and the end users have the aggravation/discomfort of doing without until repaired ...again!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,090 Posts
I have Carrier heat and AC in my house; but geez, if that's what i can expect from Mexican Carrier products; I may as well buy Goodman-Junkitrol crap in the future.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you look back to post #5 pertaining to toyota. The tundra, the current version was designed in the USA, the engine is made in a plant in Georgia, It is assembled In texas at place with lots of sattelite plants that make a lot of the components. It actually gets a score of 5th as the most American made vehicle, at least I read that. The F150 came in first, I bought one of them and it came with make in korea tires and replacement disc rotors from Ford for my last one were made in China.

As to the Ranger a friend of mine bought one of the last ones, a single cab one and discovered there really wasn't much that small like they used to be. I can't say whether it grew over the years but when more and more have bigger cabs now it might be necessary to qualify whether it grew or not.

I was told by the salesman when I ordered my 2012 f-150 that the ranger was no more and next year an F100 would be offered. We ended up discussing that pertaining to geting a standard shift, he couldn't say if the F-100 would have a standard shift option and I can't find anything about F-100 really current via web searches.

Without typing a lot there is this thing, the chicken tax, which makes it hard (25% tax) to import trucks at least of this size this thread pertains to. It was supposed to protect domestic companies but to get around it Ford makes this transit van thing as a passenger van in turkey, sends it here and strips out the interior and sells it as a light truck. Kind of amusing.

fran

1 - 15 of 15 Posts