Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take possession of a 420c with a #90 loader. Any last minute checks before money changes hands?

·
Super Moderator
7,864 Posts
Wow. Where to start? Track, pins, idlers, bearings, track adjuster, clutch, brakes, engine, hydraulics, cooling system. Check the engine at the bell housing and mounts for any indication of cracks or previous crack repairs. That's what quickly comes to mind.

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
I have it. Playing around with it for a bit, and the only complaint is the throttle lever backs off in use and the seat needs to be moved back.
:bigthumb:good for u-now :nunu: we need pics of this dozer-ok:laugh: heck a video of it running and working would even be better yet!:lol:

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I have it. Playing around with it for a bit, and the only complaint is the throttle lever backs off in use and the seat needs to be moved back.
Congratulations!

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
One fairly unique mod on it that I hadn't seen before. Anyone see it?
I'm not talking about the hood or the puppy sniffing the bucket.
The comfy seat :lol:

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
The seat, the shield behind the seat, no fenders, shield over the top roller? It looks pretty darn good for a 60+ year old machine.

·
Super Moderator
7,864 Posts
View attachment 646668
One fairly unique mod on it that I hadn't seen before. Anyone see it?
I'm not talking about the hood or the puppy sniffing the bucket.
I see a Delco-Remy alternator peaking out under the hood. 12 Volt conversion? :unknown:

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
The top roller is the one that struck me as odd. Looks like oak.
yeah-but-heck with all them great mods u got on it.:good2:eek:ne of the best is the snow tracks it has on it.:bigthumb:at least that's what the little round holes in the grouser pads was always told to me -was their name. quite the catch on them.

heck-the D-11 cat dozers didn't even have them--i know if i ran in a lot of mud--and tried to back up really steep places without running the mud out of the rails-the sprocket segments would slip on the bushings in the track rails then. and we ran in a lot of mud too.
have fun with it now:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see a Delco-Remy alternator peaking out under the hood. 12 Volt conversion? :unknown:
The guy I got it from rebuilds old JDs as a retirement hobby. He said its just easier to convert them to 12v. I like that it can jump and be jumped by everything else I own.
I think he rebuilt the engine, did the 12v and slapped a coat of paint on it. He may have snagged to hood for a wheeled tractor, or it could have been trashed by an earlier owner. I guess I don't care too much. I got it to be a road maintenance and light logging tool, not as showpiece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts