Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am NOT a tractor mechanic. I have worked on cars, trucks, over the road trucks, Jeeps, motorcycles and stationary engines all my life. I guess I have let tractors intimidate me to the point that I basically go brain dead when I am confronted with an issue on my old 4020. I'm getting better though.

Not a question, but a discovery I just made. Later model, 1970 4020 SN 227*** alternator went out. I looked at the alternator and the only tag or marking on it was a John Deere rebuild sticker. Asked around and was told it was a Motorola. I didn't know different so I set about looking for one. Ordered one and when it arrived, it was nothing like mine. Sent it back. Called John Deere dealer and was told $242.00 + $70.00 core since mine had a cracked case. Not so fast! I drove Oldsmobile cars from the '70s through the early '90s. I started thinking, that alternator sure looked a lot like ones I had replaced on my Olds through the years. Looked on Amazon, saw AC Delco Professional line factory re-mans with 2 yr warranty, free shipping, $37.25, no core charge, $7.00 coupon, final cost $30.25. This is alternator is sold by AC Delco through Amazon. Fits perfect. Works perfect. AC Delco part number 334-2114. Look it up on Amazon or AC Delco.

By the way, John Deere would only warrant theirs for 6 months if I installed it, 1 year if a mechanic installed it.

This adventure was definitely a confidence builder. I now have a technical manual for it and read it every spare moment I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've only seen AC Delco alternators on these old tractors. Never a motorcraft. Not saying they never used them, just ain't seen any.

What's the amp output on the alternator you bought and do you have any idea the RPM in which it starts it output?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I've only seen AC Delco alternators on these old tractors. Never a motorcraft. Not saying they never used them, just ain't seen any.
Here's a parts schematic for Motorola not Motorcraft alternator for 4020 sn >201,000. You can rest assured some JD tractors & SP equipment utilized Motorola alternators from the factory

Attachments

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Is that the infamous "one-wire" alternator? :dunno:
:munch:looks like it to me:dunno:i still have a generator on my model jd 50. and with a delco-remmeny distributor on it-i can buy a set of points and :gaah:can't think of the thumping little round thing inside the cap now.:bash:

way-way cheaper than at deere--and works the same too.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
:munch:looks like it to me:dunno:i still have a generator on my model jd 50. and with a delco-remmeny distributor on it-i can buy a set of points and :gaah:can't think of the thumping little round thing inside the cap now.:bash:

way-way cheaper than at deere--and works the same too.
Condensor or rotor, Jim? Both are thumping little round things inside the cap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts