Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, we had a damaged door over at our church . This door was custom installed ,by me , because it isn't a 6'8" H but 63 3/4" H.

DSCN2315.JPG Here is the cut off door beside the original door ,yes they are the same height just not from the angle I took the picture.
DSCN2316.JPG

At a home improvement store you can just buy a door , without hinges or door jam or prehung . So the door needs to be cut off . Measure and mark the door , then take a sharp knife and cut thru the outer layer of lauan . Turn the door over and door the same thing.
DSCN2301.JPG '

If you don't and you use a hand saw or power saw with a fine cut you will splinter out one side of the door. .
DSCN2302.JPG

As you're cutting the door , I used a clamp to hold up the cut side as I was cutting across the door.
Once you get to the end of door, then hold that side so you don't splinter underside of the door.

Now you have the bottom of the door cut off , and you can see how your door is constructed inside. DSCN2303.JPG

As you can see it is hollow with a cardboard type material glued in place giving some support or strength to the door. DSCN2304.JPG

Now you have a choice , either cut a board to fit inside this door, or remove the board from the bottom of the piece you just cut off. I chose to cut the piece I just cut off , At the bottom of the door (or piece just cut off) apx 1 1/2 -2" up this piece of wood you need is up inside the door.
I cut the bottom part of the door off . DSCN2307.JPG

Now you need to remove the lauan finish glued on at the factory to the front and inside of the door DSCN2310.JPG
This piece of wood with the layer of lauan are glued but not all that hard to remove . I used a chisel and light tack hammer to remove the layer of lauan.
Once the piece is free of the lauan , take your chisel to or long utility knife to cut the glued pieces inside the door and bend the cardbord material enough to allow your piece of wood to fit inside the bottom part of the door you need. DSCN2311.JPG

Before starting I had both doors laying of their side and even (or square) at the tops. Removed the hinges made sure the outside of door was against the back of the other door. Or both good sides was (one with hole) and good side of new door pointed the way . I then marked the location for the hinges with square , and utility knife. Tool a chisel marked the outer side of the hinge ,then made cuts like a shutter in the location of the hinge. DSCN2313.JPG . The depth of the cut is the height of your hinge. The top of hinge should be smooth with outer edge of your door.

I didn't show , but the other edge of the door ,has a door keeper, the other part the lockset is on the door still at the church.

The door still needs to be sanded , then stained , hardware installed and then taken to the church.

Hope this gives a idea of what the inside of most doors or in most of our homes. Doesn't matter if door is smooth like this one, a panel door . Most are hollow core. Yes you can buy a solid wood door , but most of the contractors don't use them because of the cost.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
If you don't and you use a hand saw or power saw with a fine cut you will splinter out one side of the door. .
View attachment 141441
Applying masking tape to the cut and cutting right through the tape will help also.
Nice job.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Applying masking tape to the cut and cutting right through the tape will help also.
Nice job.:thumbup1gif:
That's a good hint Keith, the masking tape does work and keeps saw marks if you use a power saw (you need to cover enough luan with tape to cover the base of the saw) from scratching the luan but you may still get some splintering on the luan. I hated hollow core doors but it is inevitable that you will at some point in time need to cut one. The utility knife is a great idea and you will not splinter the door as long as you stay on the cut side (or throw away side) of the line with the saw,, That's the important part, you leave the line plus a little more and when you get the rail or wooden piece back in the door and glued in place you sand the door to the line with a belt sander, with finesse not go hog wild, (you can still splinter the luan with a sander),, then finish the sanding off by hand with fine sand paper with a very sight round over edge, you will never splinter the door using this method.. I never let any of my guys cut a door right on the measured line,, leave a little for the sander.. nice job by the way ET. I have respect for anyone using a hand saw in this day and age,, My hand saws are still as sharp as the day they were made.. I use them all the time. different points and different sets for different applications.. and I sharpen and set them myself...

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good hint Keith, the masking tape does work and keeps saw marks if you use a power saw (you need to cover enough luan with tape to cover the base of the saw) from scratching the luan but you may still get some splintering on the luan. I hated hollow core doors but it is inevitable that you will at some point in time need to cut one. The utility knife is a great idea and you will not splinter the door as long as you stay on the cut side (or throw away side) of the line with the saw,, That's the important part, you leave the line plus a little more and when you get the rail or wooden piece back in the door and glued in place you sand the door to the line with a belt sander, with finesse not go hog wild, (you can still splinter the luan with a sander),, then finish the sanding off by hand with fine sand paper with a very sight round over edge, you will never splinter the door using this method.. I never let any of my guys cut a door right on the measured line,, leave a little for the sander.. nice job by the way ET. I have respect for anyone using a hand saw in this day and age,, My hand saws are still as sharp as the day they were made.. I use them all the time. different points and different sets for different applications.. and I sharpen and set them myself...
Thanks for catching my omitting after using the utility knife on both sides of door ,to Cut On The Throw Away side of the door.
Dad being a finish carpenter taught me years ago. Masking tape helps but for me I never felt comfortable cutting a door with a power saw.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,738 Posts
Alright, we had a damaged door over at our church . This door was custom installed ,by me , because it isn't a 6'8" H but 63 3/4" H.

View attachment 141537 Here is the cut off door beside the original door ,yes they are the same height just not from the angle I took the picture.
View attachment 141545
Replaced the door just for that little ding, Old Cajun sees an excellent place to put some type of sign and call that good enough. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced the door just for that little ding, Old Cajun sees an excellent place to put some type of sign and call that good enough. :lol:
Had that suggestion by a few members. come on ,,,I needed something to do,:hide:

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I love it Neil, you are one funny guy! I had a guy on my crew that thought just like this, He had more ideas on how to get out of work than Carter has little liver pills!
Et, please do a pic after the door has been installed and stained or coated.. Nice to see a project through to it's end... Now I sound like a shop teacher! Be good... Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Now, Old Cajun, that suggestion is starting to concern some of us that you are taking the slacking career too seriously.........:lol::laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Nicely done, Gene. :bigthumb:

Good step by step documentation of the process as well. As others mentioned, I am a fan of using the masking tape, specifically the "Blue Painting Masking Tape" to help keep the edges from fraying and splintering. I specify the "Blue" tape because it seems to be stronger, have a better sealing edge and also removes with less adhesive left behind on the surface to which it was applied.

How does the door end up being 63.75" high? Is it to a storage area or other non traveled access? :unknown:

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nicely done, Gene. :bigthumb:

Good step by step documentation of the process as well. As others mentioned, I am a fan of using the masking tape, specifically the "Blue Painting Masking Tape" to help keep the edges from fraying and splintering. I specify the "Blue" tape because it seems to be stronger, have a better sealing edge and also removes with less adhesive left behind on the surface to which it was applied.

How does the door end up being 63.75" high? Is it to a storage area or other non traveled access? :unknown:
Years ago we closed the area around the furnace. DSC01298.jpg Here is a picture from last year when we had the water line break.
You can see the doors just to the left of the white post. Since we closed in the wall, we decided to add another furnace so we needed a larger opening and this seemed to be the easiest way and yes ,,cheapest and still looks OK.
We put the doors there so if and when the furnaces needs service or replaced, it makes it a lot easier.

Yes I was planning on taking a picture or two once the door is finished and installed.

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright here is the finished door, not perfect . DSCN2319.JPG

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
That would have been a great place for a "This sign is covering a HOLE" sign........Then people would actually lift up the sign to see if in fact it was true so you don't dare secure the sign at the bottom......:laugh:

I once did that to a door with a guys forehead. Except he made it all the way through the door. I bet in the end, he was glad it wasn't a solid core door and he wished he had kept his mouth shut. The things we do when younger and less mature.:unknown:

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Alright here is the finished door, not perfect . View attachment 142729
I looked at the picture closely and I didn't see anything wrong. I think it looks great. :good2::good2:That Lauan wood has an interesting definition of the knots. They almost look like they are on top of the surface, but clearly they aren't.

I was going to ask what type of wood Lauan is actually from but I looked it up and it is fact a lauan tree from southern Asia, often in the Philippines and Southern Pacific rim nations.

See, I actually just learned something I didn't previously know. :good2:Now just don't ask me to actually pick out a Lauan tree in the Philippine forest...... :unknown:

·
Premium Member
14,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would have been a great place for a "This sign is covering a HOLE" sign........Then people would actually lift up the sign to see if in fact it was true so you don't dare secure the sign at the bottom......:laugh:

I once did that to a door with a guys forehead. Except he made it all the way through the door. I bet in the end, he was glad it wasn't a solid core door and he wished he had kept his mouth shut. The things we do when younger and less mature.:unknown:
Yea a solid wood door ,may have hurt ,,,just a tad more.:dunno::banghead::banghead:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Nice doors but it looks like someone used them for target practice. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Alright here is the finished door, not perfect . View attachment 142729
Good Job Et, you can't tell the difference, at least not from this pic. that you even changed a door... That's a good job when that occurs. I'm sure your church appreciates you very much.. Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts