Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to a news article on the issues relating to mowing while backing. It makes me wonder about the override button on my 1025R, will there be one on 2019 models? Will there be mirrors or video installed?

The article points out many issues surrounding this poor girl. It is just so sad to think how messed up one man can make others.

Oregon law suit.

Girl who lost her leg awarded $12.25 million in Springfield lawn mower injury case | Local | Eugene, Oregon

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
I'd say there is some serious drama going on in that family that's worthy of a Dr. Phil episode for the daughter to sue her own father. Yeah, it sucks she lost her leg; but was it an accident or negligence?

Just based on the limited information presented in the article; I'd say dad was negligent in numerous ways, while Deere and the dealer were not at fault. My old L-130 from that time period had the RIO (lawyer) switch and plenty of warnings in the manual about avoiding mowing while backing up.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The dad sounds like a grade A POS, and the girls lawyer was correct in making sure she got some of his judgment (the court kind - I hope her brains are better than his pervy gray matter :nunu: ).

Lawyers are the ones who make out on these cases. After appeals, even if the verdict stands the $$$ is usually whittled down to where it might buy a nice house and some new cars, but the lawyers fees over the two decades will eat most of the cake.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
The girl will be over 20 years old when her dad gets out of prison. And then be in debt for the rest of his life. Knowing he did this to his daughter along with that sentence? That's a lot of punishment. :unknown:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Here is a link to a news article on the issues relating to mowing while backing. It makes me wonder about the override button on my 1025R, will there be one on 2019 models? Will there be mirrors or video installed?

The article points out many issues surrounding this poor girl. It is just so sad to think how messed up one man can make others.

Oregon law suit.

Girl who lost her leg awarded $12.25 million in Springfield lawn mower injury case | Local | Eugene, Oregon
This sort of "blame everyone, sue everyone" scenario really irritates me. People should take responsibility for their own actions. Remember the McDonalds coffee spill law suit? The LAST thing I want is more cumbersome, distracting safety equipment on my tools. How can John Deere possibly be responsible for this tragic accident? We'll all suffer for this.

My brother-in-law once said that even if a mower deck had a huge warning label that read "In case you're too stupid to know better, putting your hand under the mower deck can get your fingers chopped off." Someone would sue because they didn't KNOW they were stupid and the label was therefore inadequate.
:banghead: :cookoo:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The girl will be over 20 years old when her dad gets out of prison.

And then be in debt for the rest of his life.

Knowing he did this to his daughter along with that sentence? That's a lot of punishment. :unknown:
He will not be in debt one second,,
his homeowners insurance will be on the hook for that money,,,

That is the purpose of these "family" lawsuits,,, get :gizmo: from your own family

through the "family" insurance.
If he had enough money to afford a mower, the home was insured.

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
This sort of "blame everyone, sue everyone" scenario really irritates me. People should take responsibility for their own actions. Remember the McDonalds coffee spill law suit? The LAST thing I want is more cumbersome, distracting safety equipment on my tools. How can John Deere possibly be responsible for this tragic accident? We'll all suffer for this.

My brother-in-law once said that even if a mower deck had a huge warning label that read "In case you're too stupid to know better, putting your hand under the mower deck can get your fingers chopped off." Someone would sue because they didn't KNOW they were stupid and the label was therefore inadequate.
:banghead: :cookoo:
Story I heard, and it may just be a story, is some IDIOT wanted to use a push mower to trim his hedges and lost fingers when he picked it up to try his hedge trimming idea. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
I would guess the father routinely gave the daughter rides on the mower, and when she saw it, wanted a ride and ran towards it. :nunu:
I NEVER gave rides to my daughters with my mower!

I see this a lot. Someone mowing with a very small child on their lap or one leg. :nunu:

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
He will not be in debt one second,,
his homeowners insurance will be on the hook for that money,,,

That is the purpose of these "family" lawsuits,,, get :gizmo: from your own family

through the "family" insurance.
If he had enough money to afford a mower, the home was insured.
:dunno:i never had given that a thought about the home owners insurance having to pay out.

i have to say this is just a stupid sue bunch of baloney. yeah i feel sorry for the girl losing her leg, but why punish everyone else for a mistake. jeepers.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Children or pets , everybody wants them but do not have the patience to take of them . What the **** is a 2 yr old child out running around while you are mowing ? RIO , that child will be dead long BEFORE the child gets to the deck ! Kevin .

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
This is disturbing to me on many levels. In regards to the molestation charges, he got off easy. It is my opinion that anyone who commits such an offense against a defenseless child should disappear from society permanently, poof, gone. :nunu:

In regards to the BS lawsuit against Mother Deere, its sickening to see things like this. There's only so much a manufacturer can do to save us from ourselves. This was a tragic accident, nothing more. The thought of someone profiting from it boils my blood. I have plenty more to say but I need to end it here.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
No one is suing the perv's homeowner's insurance... The guy sued Deere, and the daughter's conservator sued him to make sure she gets some of his settlement from Deere.

The fact that perv is going to be in prison for 17 years has nothing to do with the Deere settlement or his neglect of his daughter causing him to run over her with a lawn mower - he molested someone else's kid (and IMO should be dealt with like the guy in the movie "Hostel 2" - let him bleed to death after someone uses a pruner to remove his junk).

I also think we should remove warning labels from everything and get tort reform making it impossible to sue a manufacturer for damages which were caused by the consumer's actions. Personal responsibility and situational awareness are severely lacking in our modern society.

·
Premium Member
7,681 Posts
Knowing he did this to his daughter along with that sentence? That's a lot of punishment. :unknown:
Dipschitts like this sperm donor usually have little in the way of conscience or empathy for others.

Story I heard, and it may just be a story, is some IDIOT wanted to use a push mower to trim his hedges and lost fingers when he picked it up to try his hedge trimming idea. :dunno:
Stupid people shouldn't breed.

I would guess the father routinely gave the daughter rides on the mower, and when she saw it, wanted a ride and ran towards it. :nunu:
I NEVER gave rides to my daughters with my mower!

I see this a lot. Someone mowing with a very small child on their lap or one leg. :nunu:
I've posted this a few times on the net; but like my former dipschitt neighbor. Thank goodness they moved away years ago.

DSC02687.JPG

DSC02686.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
Dipschitts like this sperm donor usually have little in the way of conscience or empathy for others.

I've posted this a few times on the net; but like my former dipschitt neighbor. Thank goodness they moved away years ago.

View attachment 579689

View attachment 579697
Thanks for the pictures! Exactly what I am talking about, only the child is usually much smaller.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
This was me when I was a kid. I frequently rode on the fender of my fathers 110 as did each of my 2 brothers and 2 sisters. I'm not condoning it and I'm not demonizing my father for allowing it. It is what it is. I also spent much of my childhood standing on the front seat of my parents vehicles going down the highway. Again, I'm not condoning this either. It was a different time. Knowing what I know today, I choose differently. I can guarantee one thing..."if" a tragic accident did happen the very furthest thing from my fathers mind would have been getting rich from it.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

View attachment 579689

View attachment 579697

That statement would cause 85% of the country to go childless. Believe me though, I totally agree.
Problem with this country is the Gov't givaways and lawyers. The Gov't has coddled the general public giving them this, that and the other thing, and the slime ball lawyers con people into believing they can have more Easy Street by playing the system, just so the slime balls can line their slimy pockets at everyone else's expense. 2000 slimy lawyers on a sinking ship? A good start.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have said many times that the RIO causes more danger than safety. Trying to hold up on the switch while backing means you can't turn around to see behind you as well.

They don't have them on all their mowers. My ZTrak has no safety to shut off the PTO when backing.

I agree with others though. The kids are not around while mowing. I have given them rides on the tractor but never the Zero Turn. They are old enough though now to not have to worry about them as much.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have said many times that the RIO causes more danger than safety. Trying to hold up on the switch while backing means you can't turn around to see behind you as well.
Completely agree! My RIO button is much safer now that it's connected to a 133dB horn. That way, I don't back over people with the wheels, either!

·
Registered
84 Posts
This thread reminds me of a warning label on a riding lawn mower I bought back in 2012-- it soon broke down. But the key chain fob and the decal on the mower deck had this image:

_RiderSafetyImage_226x168.png

One would have to imagine that a California lawsuit attorney had something to do with this thread (and that warning).

It is hard to think they need to put a warning on a machine that explains driving over babies and toddlers is a hazard.

It is too bad all the way around...

-Matt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts