Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 40 gallon Fimco 3 point sprayer that I use to spray my lawn. I am working on getting my lawn back in shape and was curious as to what brand of the following are you using.

1. Liquid Lawn fertilizer
2. Liquid pre-emergent
3. Liquid weed killer

:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have Zoysia. I use, MSMA, Select or triplet 24D, it has 3 types of 24D, atrazine, pendimethalin. Usually I will mix all together in late spring when it's getting warm by midmorning. I use a local AG chemical co, CPS. Helena chemical would be good too. Stay away from co-op hi-yield stuff, it's just not as good. Get the 7.5 pound MSMA or similar.

I don't use liquid or solid fertilizer! I do burn my yard off in late winter to help with the thatch break down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 40 gallon Fimco 3 point sprayer that I use to spray my lawn. I am working on getting my lawn back in shape and was curious as to what brand of the following are you using.

2. Liquid pre-emergent
3. Liquid weed killer

Granular urea put down in the fall with a spike aerator and pulling a core aerator right behind it with my zero. MEC Amine-D for all weeds put down in the spring.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Pendulum / widematch tank mix in the spring for pre-emerg on sandburs and control of established broadleaf weeds.

Twice a year (until I get the yard in shape) 20-20-10 granular.

Spot spray as needed.

Helped a lot last year, but winter was tough on the grass, so we'll see how it goes this year.

·
Registered
913 Posts

2. Liquid pre-emergent
3. Liquid weed killer

I have the same sprayer and 5 acres of coastal bermuda horse pasture. I have to use what is best for my grazing horses.

Liquid fertilizer - typically way more expensive than granular per pound of nitrogen per acre, so I don't use it. But for a small lawn the convenience of using the sprayer for everything and not needing to buy a spreader/seeder might balance this out. A plus for me is that I mix Extinguish Professional fire ant control with the granular fertilizer and spread it all at once.

Liquid pre emergent - I don't use this either as many have grazing restrictions. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Liquid weed killer - I use GrazonNext HL. Plain old 2,4-D is way less expensive, but most horse people I know use a 7 day no graze time even though the literature says it can be grazed on immediately. If you have just an ornamental yard with no animals 2,4-D will do a decent job for you.

The best way to decide what to use is to identify the weeds that you want to control, and pick specific agents for them. And of course, will not kill off your lawn grass. What grass is your lawn?

·
Registered
170 Posts

2. Liquid pre-emergent
3. Liquid weed killer

I have the same sprayer for my 1025r.

1. Never used liquid fertilizer. I have a 3pt broadcast spreader so I use granular.
2. Liquid pre-emergent. I am Scott's fan so the only pre-emergent I use is Scott's fertilizer/crab grass formula.
3. Liquid Weed Killer. In the spring I spray Trimec Classic to knock down clover, other broad leaf pests, and any dandelions that decide to invade. When crabgrass pops in late summer, if it is bad enough, I add Drive XLR8 to the formula.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Same sprayer. My yard has mostly a pasture blend. It eventually takes over yards here.

I use Crossbow for weeds.

We are still deciding whether we want to make some topsoil hills for planting. Maybe kidney shaped beds to break up the flat.

I just patch seeded some areas today with mulch over them. A week of 70° F coming.

I am open to landscaping ideas

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Fertilizer, granular.

Weed killer. Amimine which is a 2-4-D product sometimes. It does a good job but only stunts clover. I usually use speed zone which is safer for people and will take out any broadleaf including legumes like alfalfa and clover. I usually mix in cyanara a bug/ant killer as well for the lawn. I find if I can keep the ants down in the yard it takes them longer to get to the sidewalks. I get both of these at FS.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

2. Liquid pre-emergent
3. Liquid weed killer

How nice do you want it.Weed killer I use 2-4D Lesco 3 three way same as the triplet just another brand.You need a wetting agent to help coat the leaf like clover to get max kill.You can get it at Site One in Harrisburg.https://www.siteone.com/home/locations.aspx
I use the Lesco Stonewall granular pre emergent in the spring.
As for lawn fertilizer I've used Milorganite (you can get at a big box store) The Lesco 20-0-3.
I'm trying some new product from Green County Fertilizer (N-Ext product).I have one application of of RGS and Humic acid and are getting great results.
These two guys I've been following one youtube,GCI turf,Pete is a pro lawn care that uses these products and has some of best looking TTT fescue.Matt from thr Grass Factor is a pro that has the science behind turf chemicals and uses the N-Ext products.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.

This year I used:

Dimension pre-emergent https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/dimension-2ew-herbicide?gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZsj4GYwyvsEgFP42hRHohwPQQOu7hwol2D45ZnDFgSh0pg0lCI4n-xoCNxsQAvD_BwE

Gordons lawn and pasture fertilizer Liquid Lawn & Pasture Fertilizer 20-0-0 with Micronutrients

and

Gordons trimec which is basically 2-4-D Trimec Lawn Weed Killer: Economical choice for large lawn areas

Since my entire yard is pretty much a hill, I plug aerated it last fall and again this spring. This seems to be really helping. I may have to do some over-seeding this fall to get the lawn back to where is used to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Same sprayer. My yard has mostly a pasture blend. It eventually takes over yards here.

I use Crossbow for weeds.

We are still deciding whether we want to make some topsoil hills for planting. Maybe kidney shaped beds to break up the flat.

I just patch seeded some areas today with mulch over them. A week of 70° F coming.
Any issues with Crossbow and your trees?
I looked at it, but have much younger trees and was a bit worried about them getting nipped.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Any issues with Crossbow and your trees?
I looked at it, but have much younger trees and was a bit worried about them getting nipped.
No, but I gave them a wide path. It was a zero wind day also.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated.

This year I used:

Dimension pre-emergent https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/dimension-2ew-herbicide?gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZsj4GYwyvsEgFP42hRHohwPQQOu7hwol2D45ZnDFgSh0pg0lCI4n-xoCNxsQAvD_BwE

Gordons lawn and pasture fertilizer Liquid Lawn & Pasture Fertilizer 20-0-0 with Micronutrients

and

Gordons trimec which is basically 2-4-D Trimec Lawn Weed Killer: Economical choice for large lawn areas

Since my entire yard is pretty much a hill, I plug aerated it last fall and again this spring. This seems to be really helping. I may have to do some over-seeding this fall to get the lawn back to where is used to be.

You don't want to plug your lawn in the spring if your using a pre emergent.The pre emergent creates a barrier so the weed/crab seed grass doesn't grow.By plugging you disturbed the barrier.You also can't seed in spring using the pre emergent.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You don't want to plug your lawn in the spring if your using a pre emergent.The pre emergent creates a barrier so the weed/crab seed grass doesn't grow.By plugging you disturbed the barrier.You also can't seed in spring using the pre emergent.
I used the core aerator first, then applied pre emergent.

Even if it's not 100% effective, it's still better than doing nothing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts