Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a rock that poked through the lawn last year that was becoming a bit of an obstacle when mowing. This area of my yard settled a bit and I've scalped this puppy a couple of times. So, while on vacation this week, digging stumps and brush hogging and stuff I decided to take the 3320 TLB around back and pull that potato. So I get it uncovered and decide that there's no way I'm gonna pull this puppy.

2014-08-07 11.38.21.jpg 2014-08-07 11.38.47.jpg

Dig around and under it and pull out a few more potatoes to make room to drop it down a bit. Now I'm down about 7' below grade.

2014-08-07 11.47.20.jpg

Rock it and roll it and gravity and a lot of luck are on my side.

2014-08-07 11.47.53.jpg

Backfill and rough grade until thunderstorms tell me it's time to call it a day.

2014-08-07 15.06.03.jpg

JD3320TLB earned it's keep once again!

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As that great American Gomer Pyle would say, "SURPRISE! SURPRISE! SURPRISE!"

Seriously a buddy in Newfoundland had similar problems with large rocks on his property, and he solved it with a product called Ecobust or some such thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlTgjnglHng&list=UUfLqRBaI3DGI6ocVUaN8r7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaAZNyisdOA&list=UUfLqRBaI3DGI6ocVUaN8r7Q
I watched some of the videos he posted. In the end he got the job done but it was a slow and expensive proposition. If I'm drilling, I'm blasting! And I'm not drilling using an electric drill. I use a ~75 year old IR 90 pounder jackhammer that's been in the family forever. Have a few 4' carbide tipped drills that will go through almost anything. I've done my fair share of drilling in granite around here and it's not fun. Usually ledge that goes on forever.

Jackhammer.gif

For large boulders I usually pull them or plant them deeper. It was easier when I had access to a friend's JD 690 excavator though.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
I shamed Paul into buying a Bosch rotary hammer similar to mine. They are great tools; but like any tool they have their limitations. I'll take my rotary hammer over a star drill any day! :mocking:

Having that IR jackhammer is a nice tool to have on hand; but most of us don't have an air compressor capable of powering the beast.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shamed Paul into buying a Bosch rotary hammer similar to mine. They are great tools; but like any tool they have their limitations. I'll take my rotary hammer over a star drill any day! :mocking:

Having that IR jackhammer is a nice tool to have on hand; but most of us don't have an air compressor capable of powering the beast.
As a kid we had a contractor neighbor who had a compressor we'd borrow when we needed it. Today IF I'm going to drill I rent a compressor. The new machines are very quiet and efficient compared to the old machines. I think the last time I rented a compressor it may have cost me $125 over a weekend.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
I rent a diesel powered 185 CFM compressor every fall to blow out my drip irrigation system. I have so much pipe in the ground that my Crapsman 20-gal compressor can't handle it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts