Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, guys, new member here. im going to give a brief run down of my recent search for a new mower and include details of tasks id like to be able to do as well as property info and get your input on a recommendation. id like to start by saying i own an acre of land, but thats including my house and outside pool. id like to get a new mower that would be able to pull a plow. every year me and my wife borrow my dad's tiller to till up a couple areas for plating wildflowers, sunflowers, and zinnias. going forward we would like to possible begin a smallish vegatable garden as well. so im thinking a sleeve hitch with a couple different implements would do the trick. also, we live on a dead end non-state maintained road. here in the Piedmont region of NC we dont get a lot of snow, maybe 3 inches here and there, but it would be nice to use a rear blade for scrapping the driveway as well as a portion of the road since i will be getting a sleeve hitch. next, im way past due for a yard overhaul. im going to be doing some major reseeding this fall and will be pulling an aerator/ plugger around multiple passes in my yard. its one that belongs to my dad, i donnt know the weight of it, but its the kind that constructed of metal and you fill the central cylinder/tank with water to give it the extra weight needed. it gets heavy. lastly, i will be pulling a cart for various items ranging from multch to wood. i will probably also be pulling/towing rounds of hickory out the woods from a hickory tree i had taken down over a year ago. one last note, im a little over 6' tall and weigh 300 pounds (of solid steel and sex appeal*).

so, i go to the JD website. enter in that i will be mowing up to an acre, as well as select that i will be mowing, aerating, hauling, snow removal, and grading/leveling and the first model recomended is the E100 lawn tractor. the highest model recommended is the X370 and every model in between. is it safe to assume that this range of machines will do what ive described above?

* in my opinion

·
Registered
33 Posts
With wanting a sleeve hitch and the requirements that you have mentioned, ideally the x500 series would be a better machine to suit your needs. These have a better transmission for ground engaging work. The x700 series may be a bit overkill, but certainly will fit your needs. you should measure out the garden bed areas you want to till, to see if the machines will work effectively in those areas.

·
Super Moderator
5,292 Posts
You can do all of your tasks with pretty much any machine but... you may not be happy with how well it performs while doing those tasks.

IMO, it would be a HUGE mistake to even consider anything in the E100 series or the S240. None of those should be used for any sort of heavy duty hauling. They are lawn mowers and shouldn't even be considered "tractors". The upper end models in the X300 series (i.e. X370 and up) are probably the minimum end of the range of machine I'd consider.

If you are looking at doing ground engaging work, the current X500 series is really the bottom end of that class of machines. Mind you, some of the smaller machines will do some of the tasks you list, but they may not hold up for long doing them. I have a D160 (which has since been replaced by the E160) and use it on occasion to drag around a lawn cart or a fertilizer spreader. Beyond that, it's a lawn mower...

·
Registered
929 Posts
I can't tell you what to get, but I can tell you this...
I have an x370, and would not use it for many of the things that you have mentioned. As someone else said, your search should start with an x500 series machine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies guys. i was confused by the fact the 100 series thru the X370 were the machines recommended when i entered in my intended use. ive been looking at the X500 series but am i correct in thinking the biggest difference is the transmission? im not too impressed with the 12 gauge frame to be honest (the same thickness as the 100 series)

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
The 100 series, the S240, and the X300 series are not garden tractors and do not have an option for an integral (sleeve) hitch. As for the frames, there is a BIG difference in frames between the 100 series and X300 series, and a slight difference in the frames of the X300 series and the X500 series. Gauge thickness does not tell the whole picture. Do not consider anything below the X500 series if you wanting to put an integral hitch on it.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
164 Posts
You don’t say what your budget is, or your technical abilities ( as well as time) you can buy used, and several great deals out there, but normally ( not always) when you buy anything over 10 years old you are buying someone else’s problem, expect to spend time wrenching it. Having said that you can save a lot of money buying a gently used 500 series, with warranty still left.If you are not comfortable buying used, I’d start off at X570/580/590 if money is no object the X7xx series are Cadillac’s of garden tractors.. but expect to spend big bucks for new one and arm and a leg for implements

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im looking to buy new. my mechanic skills are terrible. id rather chop down a tree than get out my old chainsaw and attempt to get it running. im thinking about getting a quote on a X570 as well as a X590. the sleeve hitch implements are just so much cheaper than the 3pt hitch ones. especially when considering the smaller scale that my projects are. if i can swing the cost of the X590 i think that would be the way to go since it has the EFI (not so much for the hydro lift and power steering). it would be nice to see them use the EFI in more models.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
hey, guys, new member here. im going to give a brief run down of my recent search for a new mower and include details of tasks id like to be able to do as well as property info and get your input on a recommendation. id like to start by saying i own an acre of land, but thats including my house and outside pool. id like to get a new mower that would be able to pull a plow. every year me and my wife borrow my dad's tiller to till up a couple areas for plating wildflowers, sunflowers, and zinnias. going forward we would like to possible begin a smallish vegatable garden as well. so im thinking a sleeve hitch with a couple different implements would do the trick.
If you’re intending on digging a garden, you’d better accept that you need a 3 point hitch and a 3pt tiller. You’re not going to pull even a single bottom land plow with anything smaller than a 1025 at a minimum. 3 pt implements are more expensive yes, but I believe necessary for what you want to do.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Im not sure needing a 3 point hitch is accurate for tilling a garden, my 345 will break sod and till with the 42" hydraulic tiller behind it. That said, they hydraulic tiller is not any cheaper than a 3 point unit. An X590 might pull a 12" single bottom if the soil isn't terribly hard, but I would choose the tiller over the plow because it would be easier on the machine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you’re intending on digging a garden, you’d better accept that you need a 3 point hitch and a 3pt tiller. You’re not going to pull even a single bottom land plow with anything smaller than a 1025 at a minimum. 3 pt implements are more expensive yes, but I believe necessary for what you want to do.
Sorry this isnt close to being correct-- 500 series can easily dig a suburban garden

·
Registered
449 Posts
Having only an acre of property, by the time you account for house, pool, driveway, and garden, you are looking at 1/2 to 3/4 acre of mowing with a lot of obstacles. That alone would make me skip the x570 and get something with power steering. You're in a fairly temperate climate, so EFI would be nice, but not a must have on my list. I'm in the northern Shenandoah valley and have never had issues with a carburetor on my tractors in winter.

I am partial towards the x580 (cause that's what I have). You get sleeve hitch capability so you can use that rear blade, just make sure you get the power sleeve hitch instead of the manual. I have the manual, kind of awkward when trying to feather the height of a blade when grading the driveway.

You didn't mention if your driveway and road are paved or gravel. If paved, the rear blade would be fine for light snow, but if they are gravel I would think about a front blade. The rear blades do not have skids on them whereas a front blade does. You could use a rear blade but have to remember to not clear all the way to the side so when the snow melts, any gravel you grabbed is still on the road.

The 580 is a little beast when it comes to hauling. I have a 20cf dump cart that I fill with wood and can move that around uphill on gravel, using the differential lock for traction when needed.

I am 260 lbs, the 580 has plenty of room between my belly and the steering wheel, so you should fit fine.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
You can Put In a Maintain a Garden with sleeve Hitch Implements Just Fine. Did It for Years with a JD 240 Garden tractor. The 10inch sleeve Hitch Plow does a Great Job at Garden Prep work The 240 was used On a 2.7 acre Garden. The 30inch Belt driven Tiller also worked Great for Tilling UN-tilled Ground Just Usually took two Passes over the same spot. So a Modern X500 series would be Up to the Job of Garden work and even wildflower Plots:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The 590 has fuel injection. I almost got one. I went through all your going through and kept going up and was about to sign papers on a 758 with a snow plow until I discovered I could afford a sub compact with a loader. Talk to your dealer about financing options and see what you can afford. If I was going to get a rider with pull behind attachments, the 7 series has the strongest frame for yard work your looking into imo but it’s almost as expensive as a subcompact. Decisions decisions

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I just bought a 2019 X590 with a tiller. Great garden tractor for what your looking for. I got the 30" tiller,they also make a 42".You can get the power sleeve hitch and have your 10" plow.
Your dad's plugger if that's 3pt hitch style it won't work but for the once or twice a year that your using it use his tractor.

Attachments

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
849 Posts
Absolutely no truth to one word of your statement.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the input guys, especially the pics with the various attachments on the X500 series. im going to visit some nearby dealers in the coming weeks to check the X500's out in person. quick question for BOBL. i see you have the front blade. from what ive gathered it actually is a connection system so you can remove the blade while keeping the connection points in place. does the connection system interfere when the deck is reinstalled?

·
Registered
849 Posts
thanks for all the input guys, especially the pics with the various attachments on the X500 series. im going to visit some nearby dealers in the coming weeks to check the X500's out in person. quick question for BOBL. i see you have the front blade. from what ive gathered it actually is a connection system so you can remove the blade while keeping the connection points in place. does the connection system interfere when the deck is reinstalled?
The front blade and front quick hitch need to be removed when mounting a deck. That takes about 20 minutes the first time you do it, and maybe 10 minutes the next time you do it. My tractor is an X580 with the powered integral sleeve hitch. The sleeve hitch dismounts in 5 minutes easy if you need to take it off using one bolt and one pin. The only time I remove the sleeve hitch is to mount the electric spreader.

The loam is 6" deep and was spread using the 48" blade up front, and a box blade out back. Once spread I tilled the entire half acre, hit it with my landscape rake, then spread the seed and fertilizer. The pictures of the grass are from very late fall and the grass is just coming in. The lawn looks 1000 times better now, and people will often stop by to ask how I got it looking so good, or to ask about the 580. so,:

Late fall;

Loam dumped then spread w/ 580 and blade.
Loam raked
Seed spread
Seed fertilized
Loam/seed rolled w/ 48" roller
Grass starts growing

Very late fall;
Over seed and fertilize using electric spreader

Winter;
Plow the snow in my driveway and in neighbors driveway all winter long.

Spring;
Over seed, aerate and fertilize.
Make first cut too soon. Repair marks left by HDAPs and wife's Kubota.
Grass takes hold and I make second cut. Marks are fully repaired.
Wife tows 15HP chipper w/ Kubota while I chip wood into a 1500lb cart and dump when filled.
Final spring cut and grass is out of control. Grass must be cut every 4 days
Final fertilizer spread of the spring, and am now towing my JD 44" sweeper out to the right of the tractor and am able to sweep and cut at the same time.

Summer;
Grass grows like crazy, no weeds but start to see a number of ticks.
Spread insect killer and no more issues with ticks or bugs.
Wife driving her Kubota around pulling her little cart w/ the weedwacker and her other tools having a grand old time.
People I don't know are now starting to stop and chat if the see either of us out front working.
I mow neighbors law and she brings me a case of beer and an apple pie.
My X580 is making me happier than ever before.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts