Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling to identify an invasive, low-growing, woody stem small leaf weed that's growing in patches in my lawn. I've reached out to my extension agent, but haven't heard back. Does anyone know what this is (I'm thinking it's a spurge of some sort, but it doesn't have the characteristics described in the Weed ID tools I've visited). It's resistant to my normal lawn weed control products.
IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1208.JPG

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Try the VT Weed Id Site

You can probably get the answer by using the Virginia Tech Weed Identification site: Weeds Identification App

It's really helpful to have a sample of the weed in hand when using the site.

By the way, I think I just sprayed 2,4,d on some of it in our pasture. I'll know in a few days if it likes 2,4,d. . . .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Unusual

I tried VA Tech's WeedID tool and a few others before posting. No one seems to have this weed listed.
That's unusual as there are a lot of weeds on that site. I've sometimes had real problems narrowing it down to the right one but then had someone tell me the name and it was on the site.

I'm pretty sure we have it in our pasture and hopefully it's not feeling good after the 2,4,d feeding.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
243 Posts
I’m not sure what that weed is. I’ve seen it before though. If 2-4-d doesn’t kill it you might try Confront or Q4. The best 2-4-d product for woody plants that I’ve used is forefront.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
You need Dicamba on that. Plain 2-4d won't touch it. But the commonly available triples like Trimec also include dicamba. I would never buy just plain 2-4d. Buy something like Trimec or Horsepower which contains a three most common and effective broadleaf herbicides for lawns. That will take care of that crap and all the other broadleaf weeds.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am always extra careful and avoid getting too close to trees with any product that contains dicamba. Part of it's effectiveness is because it is soil active. But because of that, it can also be absorbed by tree roots. I don't know how susceptible trees actually are to root absorption, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have it to. Since your in NOVA take a piece to Merrifield Garden Center. They can tell you what to use. I dont have it in the grass, but it's in the mulch beds and roundup kills it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts