Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this article.
I thought all should take the time to read, My heart goes out to the family.

2-year-old Ireland Nugent loses feet in lawnmower accident in Palm Harbor
2-year-old Ireland Nugent loses feet in lawnmower accident in Palm Harbor | wtsp.com

Article Contents:
PALM HARBOR, Florida -- A 2-year-old girl lost both of her feet in a lawnmower accident in the Westlake Village subdivision of Palm Harbor, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says.

According to detectives, 47-year-old Jeremiah Nugent was cutting the grass on his riding lawnmower Wednesday evening. He was about to park the lawnmower in the garage when his wife, 31-year-old Nicole Nugent, came out and began to wave her hands at him.

Nugent reportedly thought Nicole was alerting him that he was about to drive over something, so he put the lawnmower in reverse and backed it up until he realized he had run over his 2-year-old daughter, Ireland.

Earlier reports indicated Ireland's legs were amputated at the knee, but investigators now say her feet were actually severed at the ankle. Her left hand was also injured, but is intact.

The girl was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital. Witnesses tell 10 News she appeared to be stable and alert as she was transported.

Pinellas detectives say the incident appears to be accidental in nature.

·
Administrator
17,052 Posts
Sad story indeed, thanks for posting.

PS, I moved this to the safety forum.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Very very sad. I had to be careful for a couple summers as my youngest was pretty good at sneaking out of the house when mom wasn't looking and he liked to hide behind things. I always had a terrible fear of backing over him. Good reminder to all parents, our machinies are big and unforgiving! Please be careful..Pray for the family..

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
A very, very sad accident. My heart goes out to the family.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I hate to read stories like this. It is bad enough when anyone gets injured, but reading about young kids is the worst. I guess one ray of hope is that with the advances in prosthetics, that little girl may end up being an Olympic record-setter when she's older.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
How terrible.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Very sad, another reminder to be careful ALWAYS! Thoughts go out to that little girl

·
Super Moderator
2,696 Posts
Just the other day I saw this guy on his MTD mowing with a very young toddler in his lap. I told my wife at the time, how dangerous that was. I never mow when kids are outside playing. It's just too much that can go wrong. In this case, it sounds like the girl got outside before the mom could stop her. Tragic.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,639 Posts
Thanks Dungar.:thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Good to know she is recovering quickly! Thanks for the update!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts