Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my 1026R used, it came with a bunch of attachments. I've used them all except the rotary brush. the dealer I bought it from causally mentioned it was probably used for leaf clean up. I can't seem to find any info on this - how well does it work ? does it trash the lawn with its skid feet ? Given its a major pain to put on, basically the same as snow blower - front PTO bracket, PTO front shaft, QR mount, then, finally the brush it would be great to hear if this works before going through the trouble, never mind a couple of possible swaps with the mower.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Snow, leaves, dirt off driveway, gravel back onto road, it can dethatch but it's agressive. Which one do you have? 60 or 54? I haven't actually used mine for anything yet, but there are plenty of youtube videos to see what it's capable of.

·
Premium Member
12,713 Posts
They work well and you can set the height of the broom to clean as you desire. Yes, they are a little work to put on, but as you get familiar with the process, it does go faster and faster. The broom is also very good at light snow clearing (4" or less ideally) so when you do put it on for leaf work, you can leave it on for some snow work. It's also very good for cleaning up the edge of the lawn where the snow gets piled during the winter.

I think if you give the broom a try, you will like it. Make sure to set the sweeping height for the task. You can thatch the lawn with it, but its very aggressive when set with full contact on the grass.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its the 54". ok guess I'll give it a try and figure of I can set it to ride just above the grass. maybe I'll need to change the feet to rollers like on the mower. I thought i was use it for snow but first snowfall with it here was a good 6" so I didn't even try, went right to the blower which works great.

·
Premium Member
12,713 Posts
its the 54". ok guess I'll give it a try and figure of I can set it to ride just above the grass. maybe I'll need to change the feet to rollers like on the mower. I thought i was use it for snow but first snowfall with it here was a good 6" so I didn't even try, went right to the blower which works great.
One distinct advatange over the blower is the blower tends to pack down the surface layer snow and it can and often does turn into ice. The broom will scrub the pavement clean and in the sun, it dries the pavement and leaves it safer to use with less possible ice, etc. Its why many commercial crews use brooms to clear sidewalks at places like Hospitals, Dr. Offices, etc. They can handle snow except when it gets too deep.

Its also a good idea to have a couple of the furniture dollys around to move the snow blower and broom to put on and off the tractor. They are too big and heavy to drag around. I found these to be very helpful to have in the garage and barn.

Do NOT go with the plastic framed dollys as they don't hold up. I broke both plastic dollys first time I used them and the wood dolly's have been in use for years......

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do NOT go with the plastic framed dollys as they don't hold up. I broke both plastic dollys first time I used them and the wood dolly's have been in use for years......
HA ! when we were a bit younger, used to move engine blocks around with the wood ones ;)

I get the snow part, its more a matter of leaf clean up I'm worried about with 2 acres of lawn to deal with. I was thinking about one of those vac trailers and talking the mulch kit off. problem is even if the broom works well for making leaf piles, I still have BIG leaf piles to do something with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can use my approach and make those leaves go to a place far far away. I have an enormous amount of leaves and I gave up on the bagger / collection / push blower methods.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts