Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader, first time poster.

I recently purchased a 2019 3033R with only 26 hours on it. I ordered a Frontier AV20H grapple and picked it up last week. After struggling to find the right hydraulic couplers, I was able to finally get everything connected today. When I operated the grapple for the first time, hydraulic fluid sprayed everywhere. Examining the connections, fluid is coming out the grapple side right by the hose connector. Did I do something wrong or is something faulty?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Administrator
20,314 Posts
Did I do something wrong or is something faulty?
Hard to say form the picture. Welcome to GTT.

It certainly could be a defective fitting on the hose, I assume that's a JIC connection? and you placed an adapter on to get it to mate with the coupler?

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, @Kennyd. The picture is of the coupling that is on the grapple. I don’t know much about hydraulics but the fittings I got that finally worked on the tractor side are Pioneer VP4000-2P from Tractor Supply. I only found them from a post on mytractorforum.com. Service at Ag-Pro said the problem is the swivel fitting but I find that hard to believe since both of them are leaking in the same spot. I guess I have really bad luck. Of course, Ag-Pro has to order replacements so I am taking the factory cables on the grapple to a hydraulic hose place tomorrow. I’ll post an update.

By the way, I just put on your bolt on grab hooks and they are fantastic!

·
Administrator
20,314 Posts
Thanks, @Kennyd. The picture is of the coupling that is on the grapple. I don’t know much about hydraulics but the fittings I got that finally worked on the tractor side are Pioneer VP4000-2P from Tractor Supply. I only found them from a post on mytractorforum.com. Service at Ag-Pro said the problem is the swivel fitting but I find that hard to believe since both of them are leaking in the same spot. I guess I have really bad luck. Of course, Ag-Pro has to order replacements so I am taking the factory cables on the grapple to a hydraulic hose place tomorrow. I’ll post an update.

By the way, I just put on your bolt on grab hooks and they are fantastic!
I've covered what those fittings are 100's of times here....and we even sell them LOL. MTF is an OK forum, but GTT is 100x better :ROFLMAO:

Take one apart and let me see all the parts you have there, I'm guessing you have some mixed up fittings.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Probably mixed u jic and pipe swivel. The fittings installed depth look different on both hoses too.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Premium Member
8,780 Posts
I'll guess a mix match of fitting types. I would ASSUME the hoses are female swivel JIC. I ASSUME JD would not be using NTF threads on hose.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're all correct. I guess when the dealer "assembled" it, they put the adapters (marked with arrows below) in backwards - the o-ring sides were against the female swivel JIC on the hoses and the hydraulics shop I went to this morning said I would never get a tight seal that way. Unfortunately, it's nasty in Georgia today so I can't go out and play but I am confident it should be good to go now.

Update.jpg

Thanks again for all your input! I learned a lot just trying to figure out what y'all were talking about in your replies!

·
Premium Member
8,780 Posts
SAE threads (ORB) and JIC threads are the same size, so an easy mistake to make. The threads will not be damaged, just someone's pride.
You can put an O-ring on a male JIC fitting and use it in a female ORB fitting, as long as the male fitting does not bottom out, preventing the O-ring from sealing.
But you can't put a male ORB fitting in a female swivel JIC and get it to seal.
So easy to reverse the adapter fittings

Reactions: chezbrgrs
1 - 8 of 8 Posts