Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Removed the 2 manifolds today and packed them for shipment back to GPS. I didn't think to take any pictures but they are marked "Faster" and had what looked like a part number and maybe a lot/date code.

One problem cropped up during disassembly. The 4 hoses going from the tractor-side manifold to the floor ports each have a cloth sheath on them and they're saturated with hydraulic fluid. I wiped them several times with rags to try and soak up as much as I could but they're still wet.

Is there any way to clean them? Maybe carefully dip them in a bucket of sudsy water with Dawn dish soap and then rinsing them in clean water (making sure not to get water inside the hoses)? Or should I just not worry about it and rub them down a few more times? My concern is that they be magnets for dirt and debris, even inside the larger hose protector.
My thought is that since the saturated hoses are a result of the failure of the SPHC manifold, they should also be covered under the warranty and should be replaced by GPS. It's not your fault the hoses are saturated. You paid a lot of money for this kit.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
My thought is that since the saturated hoses are a result of the failure of the SPHC manifold, they should also be covered under the warranty and should be replaced by GPS. It's not your fault the hoses are saturated. You paid a lot of money for this kit.
Maybe I'll send GPS another email and ask that question. At that point it really becomes replacing the whole kit.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Hey @MarkEagleUSA - If you're concerned about the fluid on the protection sleeves (The Eagle is.... still shiny) I'd use a 5 gallon bucket full of water and dawn... and dip the hoses in up to the fittings, so as not to submerge them, then rinse in the same way. Option 2- A wet rag with dawn... and wipe it down, then clean with fresh water. Rubber bands and small zip lock bags to cover the fittings might help avoid the possibility of water contamination.
I would buy the proper caps or plugs for the hose end fittings. Then wash away

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Maybe I'll send GPS another email and ask that question. At that point it really becomes replacing the whole kit.
I asked about the hoses. He's going to try and get them for me but can't guarantee they'll get approved (by Deere). If not, he's going to send me new sheathing material and clamps.

He also told me I can remove the sheathing to try and clean it, and spray the hoses with brake cleaner to remove the oil.

I'll wait and see where this goes.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I removed my FEL and BH today to mow lawn...Had a hard time and I mean a really hard time getting the SP unlocked it leaked oil from the FEL portion that hangs up. A good sized puddle for the first time and a what looked like a blue piece of seal was on the the tractor end...not good.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I removed my FEL and BH today to mow lawn...Had a hard time and I mean a really hard time getting the SP unlocked it leaked oil from the FEL portion that hangs up. A good sized puddle for the first time and a what looked like a blue piece of seal was on the the tractor end...not good.
My seal was blue but still stuck in the coupler.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
My seal was blue but still stuck in the coupler.
So I have been running the Scut when attaching and detaching, I wonder if that caused the problem. Have you been turning yours off Mark? The piece I had , brushed off. I was in a big hurry to mow and get done. So I have not put it back together to see whether it will leak when attached. I'll go see if it is laying on the garage floor to take a pic of it. I thought yours was black but I see in the pics to just looks black.

I am guessing that the seal was stuck fast and that is why I had such a problem getting it apart. Now that there is a portion of the seal missing I am guessing it is going to leak.

I have to go back thru the thread, I do not remember if it came from the top or the bottom of the SP on yours.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I had been shutting down and relieving pressure out of habit.

The seals are in the male couplers which are on the loader side manifold.

If that was in fact part of a seal, it's going to leak... a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Yeah thanks Mark...I went out to check it now...I have the same problem. I'll call them on Monday and see about shipping the manifold back...I am 100% not wanting to do this as my setup is really complex. (Extra Valve for MMM plus a summit diverter) The top connector is stuck open.

Did they tell you what the charge was for just the manifold ? If it is just a few hundred I'll pay for the new ones and get my credit when I send the defects back to them. That would be easiest for me. I'll just use the mower till then. Sheesh and I just realized my grapple is due any day now ...:( 😢

PXL_20210612_223249364.jpg

PXL_20210612_223442546.jpg

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I think he said the upper manifold was $370, lower was 5-something.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
LOL...So it costs more than the whole kit...I think I paid $640
That is typically how JD structures their parts prices, the individual parts cost far more than the sales “kit”.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
LOL...So it costs more than the whole kit...I think I paid $640
$643 for the kit. I briefly thought about purchasing a 2nd top manifold before I contacted GPS about the issue. If there had been repair parts available I might have just done that but I'm happy to be doing it through warranty and save the cost.

Sounds like this particular SPHC does like to be connected/disconnected under load. Being the it had 1/4" couplers, maybe the seals just are physically large enough to do the job...

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
I am having the dealer install the SPHC on my 1025R as part of the initial setup. I'm a bit worried about the SPHC based on what Mark and others have reported in this thread.
Installing a major component for which there are no spare parts..... what is there to be worried about? :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Installing a major component for which there are no spare parts..... what is there to be worried about? :)
That's the main reason I'm having my dealer install it as part of my purchase order for my new 1025R. The SPHC will be covered under my PowerGard extended warranty and the dealer should have access to directly order the parts if I have a warranty claim. They're already getting extra parts to set up the front quick hitch to work with the SPHC.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I'll get back to you on that...this top SP assembly looks like the seal is totally replaceable. Maybe I can't do it yet myself but I have a hydraulic shop that will know for certain. I'll be taking it to them to get their opinion before I send it back for warranty replacement.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
this top SP assembly looks like the seal is totally replaceable.
The SPHC is made by Faster Couplings. They do have replacement seals for their stuff but I'm not smart enough to figure out exactly what the Deere part needs... :(

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
The SPHC is made by Faster Couplings. They do have replacement seals for their stuff but I'm not smart enough to figure out exactly what the Deere part needs... :(
No but once we see how to do it...we will be(Smart enough). The shop I found is the place the other hydraulic shops go to when they can't fix something or need a part. Coincidentally I played ice hockey in the '70's with one of the guys. I'll post tomorrow.

EDIT: John from GPS just got back to me and after I send them id's for tractor ,loader pics and problem. They will fix me up as they did for you Mark. Appreciate your thread and I'll absolutely continue business with these folks. No dodging the issue on their part.. Surprised they are paying shipping both ways, so JD must be covering everything.

He reiterated that it is not fixable, but I am still going to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
168 Posts
No but once we see how to do it...we will be(Smart enough). The shop I found is the place the other hydraulic shops go to when they can't fix something or need a part. Coincidentally I played ice hockey in the '70's with one of the guys. I'll post tomorrow.

EDIT: John from GPS just got back to me and after I send them id's for tractor ,loader pics and problem. They will fix me up as they did for you Mark. Appreciate your thread and I'll absolutely continue business with these folks. No dodging the issue on their part.. Surprised they are paying shipping both ways, so JD must be covering everything.

He reiterated that it is not fixable, but I am still going to get a second opinion.
If GPS is saying it's not fixable, that information is likely being funneled down from Deere directly. I'm sure a proper hydraulics shop, like the one you mentioned, can find a fix for the issue. But, I don't think Deere intended the problem to be fixable. I'd say to go with the warranty replacement while the SPHC is still under warranty. Obviously, when the SPHC is eventually out of warranty, all bets are off and find whatever reasonable fix you can before paying the outrageous replacement pricing.

It will be interesting to see what your hydraulics shop says about the issue! Keep us updated.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts