Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So rumor has it the JD345 may be too much trouble to fix. Leaning toward the X758 (See Below for expected uses) in the following configuration:

X758 with 54" HC deck
Front Brush Guard
Front dethatcher with extensions (can this be mounted to blade quick hitch for Hyd function)
Hitch Receiver
3-Point Hitch (If arms are easily removable)

Considering the following:
Auto-Connect Deck
MulchControl
Air-Ride Seat

Any recomendations would be appreciated

This is what I posted on the SCUT forum - please feel free to comment on this as well:
My primary use is mowing and pulling trailer/sprayer/sweeper. Have slopes, wet areas and a few obstacles with limbs. Was all set on a X758 with 3 point for a lawn rake and spreader but am having a hard time not jumping to the 1025R. The X758 seems more suited for my task but the 1025R would hold value better and could be more flexible. I already have a JD4710 with 4-in-1 bucket and 48 backhoe, MX6 and don't plant to sell (actually considering upgrading to a 4066R).

Since I already have a CUT, would I be better suited with a SCUT or X758?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
If your going to do mostly mowing and have slopes the x758 would be better,the 1025r may feel top heavy on slopes.
Yes the 3pt arms come off easily.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I agree with Tom. It sounds like a garden tractor will be a better mower than a sub compact that has a roll bar & higher center of gravity.

This attachment will will connect a dethatcher to a front quick hitch.

CUSTOM De-Thatcher Bracket fits John Deere Quick Hitch | eBay
I have both a GX335 GT and a SCUT 1026r and I don't find any problems with "top heaviness" on my slopes. Remember that the SCUT weighs significantly more in the bottom area and thus is lowering the roll center. I ran my 1026 sideways (in stages) on the same slope the GX cuts and stopped, I then rocked as hard as I could holding on to the fender handles to see if I could tip it. Sitting way up there it sure felt like it was tippy at first, but it runs steady as a rock across that slope while scalping the lawn at the same time for a nice rippled effect while I feel perfectly safe. I do cut it up/down though to keep it from terracing the cut and making the neighbors laugh...

·
Registered
178 Posts
aucivil,

Since you have a CUT with loader/bucket and backhoe, I would be definitely leaning toward the AWD X758 as I think it would be a better at its primary function - mowing.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hiya,

I would say get the 1 Series, for 2 factors: 1) Resale, it will hold a lot more of it value 5 years from now if your needs change. 2) It's got a real 3Pt hitch and a rear 540 PTO. If you decide you need a PTO powered spreader, a small tiller or other small PTO powered attachment, you don't have to go out and get a rear PTO kit if one is still available on the new x700 series.

I mow with a 2520/62D on the side of a mountain, does great with the large diameter turfs, not tippy for me.

Tom

·
Premium Member
14,408 Posts
For the money I would go for a Series 1. I've used the x series and a 2305 on the same piece of property (hill ) and see no reason for buying a x series.

You have H and L range , 3pt hitch, yes both are diesel ,thinking higher resale value , basically the same turning radius.

IMO if you decide to go with Series 1 go for the 54" deck since you are talking of mowing on hill side .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I went down to the dealer and road around on a 1025R and a X750 (didn't have a X758). The 1025R was nimble in 2wd and comfortable enough. The X750 was more comfortable and refined. The X750 felt like it was put together better. The 1025R felt like it may not be as durable. They did say that 1 in 25 X-series diesels had an odd overheating issue not due to screen clogging.

Given this was a lot of assumptions from cruising around a gravel lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I went down to the dealer and road around on a 1025R and a X750 (didn't have a X758). The 1025R was nimble in 2wd and comfortable enough. The X758 was more comfortable and refined. The X758 felt like it was put together better. The 1025R felt like it may not be as durable. They did say that 1 in 25 X-series diesels had an odd overheating issue not due to screen clogging.

Given this was a lot of assumptions from cruising around a gravel lot.
You assumptions are 100% correct: I did the same exact thing for the same exact reason. I purchased an X758 over a 1025r because the X758 felt more refined, comfortable and user friendly. There are times (albeit, very, very few) where I wish I had a multiple-range transmission however that has never prevented me from doing something.

I don't need a backhoe nor a loader because I have a John Deere 110TLB that more thank takes care of what a 1025r would do.

I run a 48" rear-pto driven tiller off my X758 and IMO the 3pt hitch lifts plenty high.

I think you'd be just fine purchasing an X758 over a 1025r if you don't have an immediate need for a loader/backhoe (however, the lift capacities of the 1025r and digging capabilities of the backhoe are very limited so IMO purchase something with larger in addition if you need it).

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You assumptions are 100% correct: I did the same exact thing for the same exact reason. I purchased an X758 over a 1025r because the X758 felt more refined, comfortable and user friendly. There are times (albeit, very, very few) where I wish I had a multiple-range transmission however that has never prevented me from doing something.

I don't need a backhoe nor a loader because I have a John Deere 110TLB that more thank takes care of what a 1025r would do.

I run a 48" rear-pto driven tiller off my X758 and IMO the 3pt hitch lifts plenty high.

I think you'd be just fine purchasing an X758 over a 1025r if you don't have an immediate need for a loader/backhoe (however, the lift capacities of the 1025r and digging capabilities of the backhoe are very limited so IMO purchase something with larger in addition if you need it).
We had a guy with one dig up this yard to replace a sewer pipe. He had that backhoe scoop all the way down in the hole. Deep as it would go. A tree had to go that was over the pipe. It was all that tractor could do to remove the root ball. The stump had a 2' tall Y where the tree was cut off. Every time he yanked this part dug into what was left of the lawn. Had to chain saw that part off above the chain. The tractor was digging to China in the yard. Eventually he listened to me and got a longer chain. With the tractor in the street and the stump cut he finally got it.
The 110 is definitely more capable than a 1 series.

Having 2 tractors (large and small) is always better than trying to do everything with 1.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW - ordered the X758 today. Added the 3-point hitch but left off the PTO since I already have a JD4710 that I will use for any PTO work. Also got the 54HC deck with MulchControl, grill guard and 60 months of payments. Didn't get the extended warranty but may opt for that later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
FWIW - ordered the X758 today. Added the 3-point hitch but left off the PTO since I already have a JD4710 that I will use for any PTO work. Also got the 54HC deck with MulchControl, grill guard and 60 months of payments. Didn't get the extended warranty but may opt for that later.
Good choice however I think you should have added the PTO. The initial cost is minimal but it adds a lot more capability. Is it too late to add it?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Good choice however I think you should have added the PTO. The initial cost is minimal but it adds a lot more capability. Is it too late to add it?
I did mine on the x595 they're quite easy to add on if your mechanically inclined.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
So rumor has it the JD345 may be too much trouble to fix. Leaning toward the X758 (See Below for expected uses) in the following configuration:

X758 with 54" HC deck
Front Brush Guard
Front dethatcher with extensions (can this be mounted to blade quick hitch for Hyd function)
Hitch Receiver
3-Point Hitch (If arms are easily removable)

Considering the following:
Auto-Connect Deck
MulchControl
Air-Ride Seat

Any recomendations would be appreciated

This is what I posted on the SCUT forum - please feel free to comment on this as well:
My primary use is mowing and pulling trailer/sprayer/sweeper. Have slopes, wet areas and a few obstacles with limbs. Was all set on a X758 with 3 point for a lawn rake and spreader but am having a hard time not jumping to the 1025R. The X758 seems more suited for my task but the 1025R would hold value better and could be more flexible. I already have a JD4710 with 4-in-1 bucket and 48 backhoe, MX6 and don't plant to sell (actually considering upgrading to a 4066R).

Since I already have a CUT, would I be better suited with a SCUT or X758?
Aucivil what is the difference between the auto connect deck and the 54" HC? I thought they were one in the same since they are shaft driven?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Aucivil what is the difference between the auto connect deck and the 54" HC? I thought they were one in the same since they are shaft driven?
Speaking for the current generation x7-series I can tell you that auto-connect is an add-on feature to the mower decks (at least the 54" and 60" ones). Even without it the decks still use a PTO shaft but with auto-connect you don't have to get under and manually hook the shaft up. It basically aligns the connections for you as you drive over the deck. It's a nice feature but I'm sure living without it wouldn't be that hard either. There is not "an auto-connect deck", there is "an 54/60 deck with auto-connect added".

Rob

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Speaking for the current generation x7-series I can tell you that auto-connect is an add-on feature to the mower decks (at least the 54" and 60" ones). Even without it the decks still use a PTO shaft but with auto-connect you don't have to get under and manually hook the shaft up. It basically aligns the connections for you as you drive over the deck. It's a nice feature but I'm sure living without it wouldn't be that hard either. There is not "an auto-connect deck", there is "an 54/60 deck with auto-connect added".

Rob
Ahhhh very good now I understand.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I think that the 48" deck is not wide enough to drive over.
The 48 isn't a drive over based upon the questions I asked when looking at the 590. The 54hc and the 60hc are the drive over decks.

I didn't realize that the auto connect was an add on to the deck and not a type of deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts