Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 425 that I bought (used obviously) when I moved here. I anticipated getting a loader for it for chores around the yard. However, I've come to realize something... by the time I buy the loader, weights, and other things needed to be completely functional, what I have is a 25yr old lawn mower with lots of expensive parts on it, with very limited capabilities. THen I look at all the projects I want to do around the yard and it's just not going to cut it. I need something bigger, and I have been drooling over the 1025R for a year now.

First I looked on craigslist, facebook marketplace, and some used equipment websites. The going rate for a 1 to 5 year old 1025R is only marginally cheaper than new. These things must depreciate like Jeeps... very little. The dealers are all offering 0% financing, free money. So it would actually be foolish to buy a used one with that kind of deal going. Am I missing anything here?

So here's what I want in 1025R:
  • Loader w/ bucket
  • 60" MMM
  • R4 tires
  • Pine rake
  • Back blade
  • Snow pusher (eventually anyway)
I'm guessing the rake, back blade, and pusher aren't something included in 0% financing?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was under the impression everything was under the 0% but can’t say for sure. Take it from a person who couldn’t afford the backhoe....buy the backhoe. That would give you a very capable machine. Good investment over a bunch of attachments for an old tractor and yes used is not worth it unless you have the scratch laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have a 425 that I bought (used obviously) when I moved here. I anticipated getting a loader for it for chores around the yard. However, I've come to realize something... by the time I buy the loader, weights, and other things needed to be completely functional, what I have is a 25yr old lawn mower with lots of expensive parts on it, with very limited capabilities. THen I look at all the projects I want to do around the yard and it's just not going to cut it. I need something bigger, and I have been drooling over the 1025R for a year now.

First I looked on craigslist, facebook marketplace, and some used equipment websites. The going rate for a 1 to 5 year old 1025R is only marginally cheaper than new. These things must depreciate like Jeeps... very little. The dealers are all offering 0% financing, free money. So it would actually be foolish to buy a used one with that kind of deal going. Am I missing anything here?

• Loader w/ bucket
  • 60" MMM
  • R4 tires
  • Pine rake
  • Back blade
I'm guessing the rake, back blade, and pusher aren't something included in 0% financing?
Any Deere/Frontier attachments you buy at the time of purchase of tractor should be included in 0% deal.:good2:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I went from a pair of 455s to a pair of 1025Rs. I was originally going to buy a used x749. However, like yourself, I found by the time I added everything on to it...assuming I could find it all, I was less than $2000 away from a comparable equipped 1025R.

You will pay more for the 1025R with the 0% than if you cashed out. I financed one and paid cash for the other. Even with the price difference, the 0% was a good deal. You can roll Frontier implements into the 0%.

Be sure to upgrade to the 53" bucket for the FEL. Better yet, checkout the 4 in 1 bucket that Frontier just announced.

If you ever think there is a backhoe in your future, it is far more cost effective to purchase the factory built tractor loader backhoe (FTLB) than to add it on later.

The R4s are best for dirt work. The R3 turf tires are easier on the lawn and better in snow.

You'll require rear ballast weight when utilizing the FEL. There are a number of ways to get there, depending on what fits your application and wallet the best. I went with the Heavy Hitch dual row weight bar/receiver and loaded it with 16*42# suitcase weights. It is the most expensive method, but does get the weight aft of the rear axle, which transfers weight from the front axle. The weights can be utilized for front ballast for rear mounted implements that require it, such as a tiller or landscape rake. You can roll the suitcase weights into the 0%, also.

Reactions: keane and BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
You should have no problem rolling your implements into the 0% financing as long as you buy them at the same time you buy the tractor.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got frontier box blade, MMM and brush cutter 0%. Didn't think I needed a backhoe, and I really still don't. But really think it'd be cool. But, with what I've got, I think I can do most all of what I need...cause the one main trench I wanna dig now a strapping 16 yr old son and my bucket with a soon to be purchased toothbar can handle

2018 1025R, 120R Loader, 60D MMM, BB2048, RC2048

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oh dear. Attachments at 0% too? This could make for a very crowded shed and garage! I had been planning to scour craigslist and such for a back blade, rake, etc. But if they can all just magically appear new with the tractor, perhaps that is the way to go.

That 4-in-1 bucket... sexy. Does it work just as good as a bucket as the normal bucket does? Basically what I'm getting at is do I lose anything with it (besides money)? I presume it needs some kind of 3rd function control for the jaws?

I think I would prefer suitcase weights so I can freely move them between the front and back depending on what I'm doing. As opposed to a ballast box. How much weight should I plan for?

For snow, I'm a little torn between a pusher and a plow. I have a gravel driveway that goes up hill. Quick hitch plow, loader plow, or snow pusher on the loader? Or how is the 4-in-1 with snow?

The backhoe, I just can't even think of a good excuse to buy it. Other than looking badass.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Here is the link to the discussion of the 4 in 1 bucket. It is so new I don't think any one has one yet. So no reviews as to how it functions.

I'd go (and did) with the dual row weight/receiver from Heavy Hitch. If you load it with all 16*42" suitcase weights, you're pretty much at the lift rating of the 3-point. Personally, I'd go with all 16 as it spares your front axle when doing loader work and the weight is a traction plus moving snow. If you don't want to spend that much, you can start with whatever you want. You can always add more later. Site supporter/administrator Kenny authored a post on rear ballast that includes some charts from JD on the recommended minimums. Here is the link:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/4363-what-rear-ballast-why-do-you-need.html

The joystick hydraulics have the "float" feature, so you don't have to be concerned about "digging in" as does the 3-point by design. I'd probably prefer a front Quick Hitch mounted plow to a FEL mounted plow. So that would drive the price up somewhat. I've never had either, so I'd seek the wisdom of others in this regard.

I couldn't think of a good reason to purchase the backhoe, either. However, I was coming to the realization at the age of 60, the #2 shovel and I just don't dance together as well as we once did. The need did find me soon enough when I had to correct yet another error of the septic system installer. It sure made short work of that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh dear. Attachments at 0% too? This could make for a very crowded shed and garage!
I failed to include an additional shed in my budgeting for a 1025r - it is being delivered next Friday.

I went with the quick attach plow because if you mount it to the loader frame you lose left/right hydraulics and in my situation I need to move left/right a lot.

Then I went to the artillian website and realized I could "have it all!" once I had their fork frame, hydraulic diverter, and quick attach for the plow. Don't go to that website unless you want to throw money around. ;-) :gizmo:

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot about pallet forks. I don't move pallets. I just want to be able to move around the mower deck and other flat things once in a while. I was figuring on just getting those forks that clamp onto the bucket. Are those decent?

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
...I was figuring on just getting those forks that clamp onto the bucket. Are those decent?
IMHO, no. They reduce lifting capacity, can easily bend your bucket, and the bucket blocks your view of anything you try to pick up, Get real JDQA forks and never look back-you'll use them 10 times as much as you think you will.

Where in MD are you?

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder if the clamp on ones would be more problematic with the 4-in-1 bucket since it ends up clamping to the clam shelling part of the bucket. This once again leads back to the 0% financing free money thing. Frontier 42" AP10 looks good! The modular nature of the Artillian, to add a grapple and such in the future is cool. But I have to remind myself that I have a back yard, not a back 40.

Where in MD are you?
Myersville, between Fredneck and Hagerstown

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Am I reading this correctly? The promo pricing on the base 1023e includes the 54" mower deck and is $2,000 cheaper than the base 1025r? The 1025r does not include the mower deck, which is an additional $2000, making the total $4,000 higher?

·
Registered
14 Posts

• Loader w/ bucket
  • 60" MMM
  • R4 tires
  • Pine rake
  • Back blade

I purchased a 1025 TLB two years ago. I added the larger bucket, Frontier pallet forks, 54" MMM, and a bunch of Stihl equipment. All of it was 0% for 5 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1025R Suggestions

I've had my 1025R for 3 years and have some suggestions for anyone considering one. Don't buy the 60" Mower Deck. It doesn't mow evenly and there is no way to adjust it to do so. If you mow across the slightest incline it leaves an very uneven cut. I've seen several posts on this blog about this issue. I understand that the 54" doesn't have this issue. If you look at the 60" deck while installed, it sticks out 6 to 8 inches farther on the left than on the right. I believe that this is what causes the uneven cut. Also, the height adjustment is really poorly built. It won't adjust much above 3 3/4" and even then, the scalp wheels won't go low enough to facilitate the suggested clearance in the operators manual. I will be mowing along thinking I'm mowing at 3" when I'll hear a loud thunk and the deck drops down to the next setting.

The FEL will not lift/lower and curl at the same time. Some have talked about a "sweet spot" to facilitate this but good luck on finding it. You have to lift/lower, stop, dump/curl.

I agree with the weight and ruts issue. After three seasons my yard is like a washboard. I used to enjoy mowing my 6 acres but now I hate to tackle it because it is so rough. I even bought a 4' roller but it hasn't helped much. I could go on with three or four more issues but they might sound petty. My final advice, buy a Kubota! I wore a Kubota out after 12 years of using it and then bought my 1025R. The first one had a transmission leak that the dealer couldn't fix. They wanted to change the transmission but I wouldn't allow it on a brand new tractor so they gave me a new one. So far no leaks.

I bought the JD because I wanted to "buy American" but recently I've even considered looking at the Mahindra.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
After owning my 1026r for a few years now. I am starting to think I would be better off with a lawn mower and a small tractor like a 3025e . While it’s not hard to change attachments, there’s many times it would be nice to have a second tractor. I have mowed my lawn , put the snowblower on, had the snow melt and wanted to pick leaves up all in the same week. Just part of living in Wisconsin.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My new tool/toy has arrived. In the middle of a thunderstorm downpour. The sun was out until this truck pulled in my driveway...

2013 1026r, 60D mower with mulching kit, 53" bucket, CID pallet forks, RB5060 back blade, Danuser auger w/ 9" bit, and 8 suitcase weights all in a package deal from a used equipment dealer I found. Picked up a quick hitch at Harbor Freight and installed it right away in minutes. Ordered that "improved" top hook from Amazon. Ordered a heavy hitch rear weight bracket and tooth bar. And ordered a Titan pine straw rake. Eager to get to work!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts