Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with leaves. I have about 2 acres around the house with nearly 50, gorgeous leafy sassafras, ash, cherry, river birch, and pine that shed leafs and needles this time of year. In the past, I used my x324 + powerflow + a custom leaf hopper (400+ gallon) (very similar to a cyclone rake in appearance). Now, with a 1025R, I'm wondering what I should do.

With my 400 Gallon leaf hopper, I would get a few minutes of mowing time before it filled up and then had to dump. I'm wondering if anybody has any thoughts about a better method. I know the cyclone rake is about the same size as this, and the MCS20, although half the capacity, has auto dump. I've also considered a 3PH blower (Agrimetal BW 1600-TP Tractor PTO 3 point Hitch Blower). I used to run a mulch kit on the x324, but even at WOT it would stall out; it was also a 4 pass exercise to mow. I know that the 1025r has much more torque, so maybe this won't be an issue?

I'm really just looking to leverage the 1025r to try and get my leafing down from almost 20 hours each year to something more reasonable. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I also have 2 acres with a lot of large oaks. Over the years ive found that a blower is the best, most effecient, way to deal with them. I use a Stihl BR600 backpack blower. If you have woods to blow them into then a blower is the way to go. Ive seen a kubota with a 3pt blower doing a large retirement home but a guy always followed behind it with a backpack blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
They do make 3-point blowers that utilize the PTO for their power. Everything Attachments carries a variety of them. They aren't cheap, but they look powerful enough to easily get all of the leaves well into your neighbor's yard. Check out the video on the EA site.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
If you want to pick them up, then you have to deal with the dumping them. Of course the larger the container on your MCS, the less you have to dump it.

Now for dumping. If you have to manually dump them, this can get very tiring after about the 3rd dump. I prefer something that has a power dump system so you do not have to work to hard!!

Now, do you have a place to dump them on your property or do you have to put them in a trailer and haul them away? If you have a place to dump them, then any one of the pull behind units that have power dump will work.

If you have to put the leaves in a trailer and haul them away, then you may want to look at something like the older style JD Hydraulic lift and dump MCS that were used on the older 855, 955, 400's, etc. This is what I use since I have to haul mine away. I collect them in the MCS, dump them in my dump trailer and then haul them to the local township recycle center. I can do all of this with minimal work with this MCS. I should say, this MCS does not hold any more leaves than a 3 bag MCS, although, it is really easy to dump them, just be sure to not dump the leaves when it is windy. :good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've got a small piece of property, an acre and a quarter, with trees/woods on 3 sides plus about 10 trees throughout the lawn itself. I've got a TracVac with a 33 gal can on the back...LOTS of dumping. I put my 46 deck on my 322 and the TracVac doesn't mount! So, I put a piece of sheet metal over the deck discharge opening and installed a set of Predator blades. Grass clippings, leaves, twigs under 1/2" GONE! NO visible signs of anything on the lawn. Bob

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep coming back to the mulch kit because I'd rather let the nutrients back into the ground, but the leaves on my property are too thick to leave them on top, they pack down and kill the grass if I leave them there. I know that timmarks had a video with leaves being mulched, and they get pulverized nicely. I'm wondering if anybody with a mulch kit on the 60" deck could comment on how bogged down this will get? Especially since the mulch kit requires so much effort to install / remove.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't have the mulching kit on my 46 deck, just mulching blades and a blocked discharge. Also, I NEVER cut when things are wet, even wet with dew. I wait til things dry out.

As far as bogging/stalling, slow your ground speed down. If I "charge into" tall grass, my 18hp will bog down. If I go into it slowly, the engine labors but rpm stays up there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have at least 4 properties I deal with over the leaf season and all vary as far as how I handle the leaves. The biggest deciding factor in how I deal with them is whether or not the property has a tree line for me to blow the leaves in too. If there's a tree line than I'll blow them into the woods with my backpack blower, currently a Stihl BR600, but upgrading to a BR800 tomorrow. Or I'll drive my 445 around and keep cutting the leaves towards the tree line. For the properties where I don't have a tree line, I'll suck the leaves up, either with a 425 with a tow behind Trac-Vac style trailer, or a Gravely 20-G with an engine powered blower and trailer. Then the leaves get dumped in the woods for decomposing.

Rick

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a place that is basically a burn pile. I use a leaf blower to get them to the area and then a few at a time rake them on the fire.
If it weren't for my sod I'd just windrow the leaves and light one end and let the fire back against the wind.
I have tons of leaves also, I have to clean up about half way of the leave drop and a final clean up the middle of December.
I even burn what falls in the streets in the streets. With the windrow method. Other wise we'd have a clogged up mess.

I don't burn on windy days period. I even look forward to so it some, my kids when young loved it.

I have done the mulch thing also but it was such a mat of chewed up leaves I didn't like it my zoysia didn't either.

BTW I even burn my yard off every other year in late winter.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
With our new property and only having the backpack blower I've been considering making a platform that would mount in the front quick hitch of my x758. Think of the platform as a cooking spatula. I wouldn't end up putting any casters on the front it would be strictly suspended by the QH much like a plow blade. Naturally it would require suitcase weights for ballast.

I would then purchase and roll onto this platform a walk behind blower pointing straight forward or at least at a 45deg angle. The walk behind blowers have a lot more velocity and CFM. By having it pointed at a 45deg angle I would then be able to turn my QH with the hydraulics to blow leaves at a 90deg angle or directly in front of me...or anywhere in between.

This in turn would allow me to move more leaves quicker and at a greater distance. It would also give me more seat time on my GT.

Reference the buggy that JRCO sells for the ZTR's.

https://www.jrcoinc.com/commercial_attachments/blower-buggy.html

·
Corndog Hater
11,236 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I use a Stihl blower around the landscaping to get the leaves out into the open. Then, I just use my mower on my 1025. Chop them up and blow one way. What doesn’t get mulched ends up in the ditch or pasture. The ones in the ditch get torched.

D69E6488-F302-417B-89A2-66A6568EC781.jpeg

B9FC09B7-75C6-48A5-89D7-F51722291AE5.jpeg

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
That's one heck of a machine!!! :yahoo:

Sure glad I don't have enough leaves to justify something like that! :laugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts