Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LED lights coming in Friday for 997 Z Trac, will probably begin installation.

Also thinking about installing a red dot laser to throw a red dot about 6 to 8 feet
ahead to keep me in line with the edge of the previous cut.
With the speed, it's easy to stray not getting a complete cut or not cutting enough.
Think with a laser as a guide, I should be able to maintain a 68 to 70 inch cut
with the 72 inch deck.
Figure with the dot (nickel to quarter size) 6-8 feet ahead, it should give
more time to adjust any drifting before the cutting deck.
Any thoughts??

Also thinking of installing a rear view camera on it.
Camera mounted on ROP and 7 inch monitor mounted center
ahead of foot plate.
Any thoughts on that crazy idea???

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Strong move on the LED's

Laser is a good idea, especially if you could find a 'fan' shaped beam vs. a dot.

The back-up camera maaaaayyy be a bit much...... but I should be that LAST guy on this forum to criticize borderline unnecessary, but fun, projects.

-J.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strong move on the LED's

Laser is a good idea, especially if you could find a 'fan' shaped beam vs. a dot.

The back-up camera maaaaayyy be a bit much...... but I should be that LAST guy on this forum to criticize borderline unnecessary, but fun, projects.

-J.
Once I get my LED lights mounted, I'll probably experiment with the laser.
Have several laser levels which I can experiment with to see if it's feasible
and useful.
Really would like a rear view option with it, think with regular rear view
mirrors, it would be hard to find a convenient mounting place on the Z Trak
that would do any good.
I like to know what's behind me and the old neck and back don't swivel as good as they used to.

There are several camera systems that would fill the bill, especially the wireless
type meant for RV's and 18 wheelers.
They can be run continuously, but they are a bit pricey, around the $300
neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Without a cab to filter out the glare, the camera and monitor will be useless. I have a canopy with a 10" monitor and cameras, and the glare off the monitor makes the image useless except on very cloudy days or at night when the infrared LED's on the camera come on.

A backup camera is a great idea....but.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without a cab to filter out the glare, the camera and monitor will be useless. I have a canopy with a 10" monitor and cameras, and the glare off the monitor makes the image useless except on very cloudy days or at night when the infrared LED's on the camera come on.

A backup camera is a great idea....but.
Yup, you were right about that.
Did some checking and glare is a big problem in that type of application.
Even some manufacturers don't recommend trying it.
Also learned that any dust on the monitor screen increases the glare problem, making
it a lot, lot worse.
On an open cab/no cab arrangement like the Z Trak, that's a killer right there.

Oh well, seemed like a good idea off the top of my head, better to bounce and idea around
than bounce money out of my wallet on something that won't work.

Will try to figure some way to put a regular rearview mirror on it where it will do some
good and not appear too hideous.
Have two Harley rearview mirrors a buddy gave me when he changed out the ones
on his bike.
Round chrome type and they look brand new, but where to mount them???

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Well, let's not give up so easily...........

Maybe you can get a camera that will feed a wearable screen like google glass???!!!! Oakley Airwave Goggles would be great too as they'd keep the dust out of your eyes.....!! Now I've spent more than your 300$ budget, sorry.

-J.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, let's not give up so easily...........

Maybe you can get a camera that will feed a wearable screen like google glass???!!!! Oakley Airwave Goggles would be great too as they'd keep the dust out of your eyes.....!! Now I've spent more than your 300$ budget, sorry.

-J.
Haven't given up totally, 3M makes a see through monitor shield that supposedly helps the glare situation, some
folks have said that a good pair of polarized sunglasses helps.
No budget, don't mind spending money on it, but it has to work.
But every outfit I've talked to says keeping the monitor face and also camera lens free from dust is a must to prevent glare, could
be tough to do running around cutting grass and stirring up dust.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
What mirror like the rear view mirror on a school bus, the long rectangle type. Attach 2 supports to the top of the ROPS going forward to the mirror. That way you could look up and see what is behind you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Old Pa-pa
11,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What mirror like the rear view mirror on a school bus, the long rectangle type. Attach 2 supports to the top of the ROPS going forward to the mirror. That way you could look up and see what is behind you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't know about the looks of that type of hookup with the humongous mirrors.
Was going to pull it out of the tractor barn and see how the small motorcycle mirrors (4 inch round) would work in
different positions, but we had rain all afternoon, still raining and thundering in fact.
Just a minor thing, but I think it would be handy, not really a necessity though.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a dust cloud that is right behind me all the time on my 925a. I just gave to make sure I'm ahead of it or my allergies go nuts. The decks on these things spin stupid fast and really stir it up. I don't think a display would have a chance. $.02.

I do want to put some lights on mine though. I also think that unless you're always mowing at night you wont even be able to see a lazer. It is pretty easy to get used to making a straight line. It just comes with practice. I bet i easily do a 55" cut with my 60" 7iron pro.

Jim

·
Old Pa-pa
11,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a dust cloud that is right behind me all the time on my 925a. I just gave to make sure I'm ahead of it or my allergies go nuts. The decks on these things spin stupid fast and really stir it up. I don't think a display would have a chance. $.02.

I do want to put some lights on mine though. I also think that unless you're always mowing at night you wont even be able to see a lazer. It is pretty easy to get used to making a straight line. It just comes with practice. I bet i easily do a 55" cut with my 60" 7iron pro.

Jim
From what I've read, looks like using a backup camera on a Z Trak is pretty much a bust
because of sun glare and dust making it worse.

Going to mess around with the laser thing, have several laser levels to see if it's possible
to use it as a guide.
Do know I need more stick time on it, have only had it 3 weeks, used to cutting with a tractor
with a 3 pt. hitch 5 Foot rotary cutter behind in high range 2nd.
Cutting with a Z Trak at its' speed is a whole new ballgame with a 6 foot cutter and running at 10-11 miles
per hour, drifting off the proper line up is pretty quick.
Just haven't been able to get a consistent mental and visual reference where the blade
tips are running, that'll come with time as I get a feel for it.
I've caught myself only cutting 4 1/2 - 5 feet before I knew it.
It's still twice as fast as the tractor with getting it done, I've even caught myself making a
turn like it was a tractor instead of utilizing the zero turn capability, LOL!

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
Oh well, seemed like a good idea off the top of my head, better to bounce and idea around
than bounce money out of my wallet on something that won't work.
Good advice!

Haven't given up totally, 3M makes a see through monitor shield that supposedly helps the glare situation, somefolks have said that a good pair of polarized sunglasses helps.
I'd like to know more about the 3M stuff you mention.

I have Jeep mirrors on my 4200.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good advice!

I'd like to know more about the 3M stuff you mention.

I have Jeep mirrors on my 4200.
Here's the link to the 3M anti-glare filters:
Anti-Glare Protectors

Haven't really checked this out yet, prices can range
from $30 to $140 for these types of anti-glare filters, don't really know about their
effectiveness yet.

Maybe there's still hope for a backup camera system on the Z Trak yet, LOL!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts