Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shop has six 8' T12 fluorescent light fixtures, per bay. Every year when it turns off cold I am replacing bulbs and or ballasts, it never fails. This year I got tired of it and started looking for something different, maybe T8 or T5 HO, something I could get years of service out of. Quickly I found a change out wasn't cheap so I found some LED replacements. The ballast is removed and the sockets are wired directly to the 120.

I have to say I am quite impressed. Tried to take pictures but you really couldn't tell anything but the light meter on my phone shows the LEDs are 2.5 to 3 times brighter than the T12s.

This is what I used - https://www.eledlights.com/t8-8foot-led-tube-high-lumen.html#descjump

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
My shop has six 8' T12 fluorescent light fixtures, per bay. Every year when it turns off cold I am replacing bulbs and or ballasts, it never fails. This year I got tired of it and started looking for something different, maybe T8 or T5 HO, something I could get years of service out of. Quickly I found a change out wasn't cheap so I found some LED replacements. The ballast is removed and the sockets are wired directly to the 120.

I have to say I am quite impressed. Tried to take pictures but you really couldn't tell anything but the light meter on my phone shows the LEDs are 2.5 to 3 times brighter than the T12s.

This is what I used - https://www.eledlights.com/t8-8foot-led-tube-high-lumen.html#descjump
I converted all the 4 tube I had when I moved them to the new shop. All the others are Costco, you'll never beat the deal and the lighting is great for the price.

IMG_3147.JPG IMG_2910.JPG

I spent :gizmo: replacing fluorescent tubes every winter. . . . Never, never go back.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I have converted several of my 4' lights to the 120 volt 4' T8 bulbs. It takes a lot of time to rewire the lights. One of my clients has a 4 tube 4' light in there kitchen. I have to replace bulbs in it about every year. This year I suggested replacing the old bulbs with LEDs. I was going to get the 120 volt bulbs until I found some direct replacement T8 bulbs at Menards. They work off of the ballast. Just take out the old bulbs & put in the new LED bulbs. No rewiring required. The ones I used work in both T8 & T12 instant start fixtures. The bulbs have been in use several months. The clients are very happy with them.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Looks like I need to increase my know;edge before I buy. My son is on me to change out the lights in the shop. He thinks it's an endless stream of money.:nunu:

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have converted several of my 4' lights to the 120 volt 4' T8 bulbs. It takes a lot of time to rewire the lights. One of my clients has a 4 tube 4' light in there kitchen. I have to replace bulbs in it about every year. This year I suggested replacing the old bulbs with LEDs. I was going to get the 120 volt bulbs until I found some direct replacement T8 bulbs at Menards. They work off of the ballast. Just take out the old bulbs & put in the new LED bulbs. No rewiring required. The ones I used work in both T8 & T12 instant start fixtures. The bulbs have been in use several months. The clients are very happy with them.
Not sure about the smaller fixtures but the 8' T12 units are easy to wire around the ballast. If you can install a ballast you can wire around it,

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Not sure about the smaller fixtures but the 8' T12 units are easy to wire around the ballast. If you can install a ballast you can wire around it,
I removed the ballast when converting, found it easy once you understand what is required for the LED's. . . It also made the fixture a little lighter weight making my re-hang efforts just a little easier. Once you determine single or dual end powered, it's easy, and buy the tube that works. I found color and wattage/lumens the challenging effort. I like 5000k and slightly up/down from there works too. Last I bought for those 4 tube fixtures were these: 22W, 6000K (Super Bright White), 2600 Lumens, Dual-End Powered, Clear Cover. I preferred 5000K and frosted but you buy what's cheapest and will work with a little compromise.

IMG_2964.JPG

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Are there still energy savings if you keep the ballast? Part of the reason I changed was I convinced myself there would be an ROI. The other reason I wanted to get rid of ballasts is because I've been on so many "overheated ballast" emergency calls. Mostly just smell or light smoke, but they never seemed worth the risk once I knew there was an alternative that was better all around.

In my kitchen I have drop ceiling and I put in these lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FH2K2V2 and love them. They do have a slight pause before coming on that takes getting used to, but they put out great, white light. They are what started me down the road to replacing all those 4 foot bulbs individually.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Well thanks for spending my money guys.:unknown: I went to Sam's with my wife yesterday and bought 2 of these Honeywell 4-ft. LED Shoplight, (White or Silver) - Sam's Club

WOW are they nice compared to the florescents I have in the shop. They are 4500 lumens and 5K very bright.:bigthumb: Now I'll have to buy more.:laugh:

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Well thanks for spending my money guys.:unknown: I went to Sam's with my wife yesterday and bought 2 of these Honeywell 4-ft. LED Shoplight, (White or Silver) - Sam's Club

WOW are they nice compared to the florescents I have in the shop. They are 4500 lumens and 5K very bright.:bigthumb: Now I'll have to buy more.
Yeah, they need to put a disclaimer in the title, "Caution this thread WILL cost you money".😄

Mike you didn't help either by posting your choice either. Now I'm going to spend money.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I thought they were a little pricey. If they last 50,000 hours like they claim and there's nothing to change, they are worth it and they are brighter.:yahoo:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
I'll say in again. LED lighting will save you big money. My electric bill this mouth was $0.00, normally about ~$210. We are on a budget and we are ~ $430 to the good, as of a few days ago. New budget year starts January 1. All the savings are not just the LED lighting but it's a major part.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have about 150 led bulbs in the 4 foot size. Well worth it. Took a while to afford and I know I won't see the payback but I had 20 year old T12 lights that it wasn't worth turning on the lights when cold. I bypassed the balast as it is one less thing to worry about. But the balast doesn't use much for an led. Use a kill a watt meter.to test. The bulb has an internal balast basically though and it can fail as I had a couple go out on warranty. The big light makers still use the fixture balast partly because if you remove the balast and then put a florescent bulb back in by mistake it will explode. I am glad I went all led on everything.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,287 Posts
All the savings are not just the LED lighting but it's a major part.
You and your bride probably turn the lights off when you leave a room. I still have 3 people I'm trying to train to do that. I'm about ready to cry defeat

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
You and your bride probably turn the lights off when you leave a room. I still have 3 people I'm trying to train to do that. I'm about ready to cry defeat
When I remodeled my basement the building inspector said it wasn't illegal to install the light switches upside down so flipping them up would turn them off. I swear no one here knows they go down too.:laugh: I almost did it too.:lol:

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I haven't hard wired the LEDs yet. Last night Dirty put them on remote switches. We played around with the remotes and turning them on and off at the same time. You could really see the difference in brightness that way. That was really the proof to me. I'm going with all LEDS. I don't mind the savings in electric costs but, I want the brightness.:good2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts