Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add a set of lights to the rear of my tractor for snow blowing. What wattage would be a good choice to prevent blinding in white out conditions? I looked but didn't see any yellow LEDs. I'm thinking 27W would probably be bright enough but not so bright to cause glare back.

·
Premium Member
12,770 Posts
Most any light is going to give you problems in true white-out conditions unless it is mounted very low to the ground. I have a pair of 19W lights that are ~2000 lumens each with a medium flood pattern. So far they have worked well for plowing with the rear blade.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Wondering if LED lights are a good replacement for halogens up front. In winter halogens generate enough heat to melt all or part of the snow/ice that accumulates on them. LEDs make little to no heat...?

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Wondering if LED lights are a good replacement for halogens up front. In winter halogens generate enough heat to melt all or part of the snow/ice that accumulates on them. LEDs make little to no heat...?
The resistors in the base of an LED do create some heat, albeit, not near what an incandescent of halogen light bulb generates. That said, I have replaced all the OEM incandescent bulbs in my 1025R with LED replacement bulbs and have had no problems with snow build up on them.
They do create enough heat to keep the ice and snow melted.

LED Headlights

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has tried lense filter material or colored jells to tint their led’s? I don’t live in snow country, but it might be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
I run a pair of 36 watt LEDs to the front and to the rear on my tractor and just love them. There on all the time even tho I have switches to turn them off. They help let others know I am on the road being on. I don't feel there to bright and are great to see at night. Here is a link to the ones I bought there super cheap and have been on my tractor about 2 years now and still work great. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-4INCH-36W-CREE-LED-WORK-LIGHT-BAR-SPOT-OFFROAD-ATV-FOG-TRUCK-LAMP-4WD-12V-6/162710045956?epid=27007085897&hash=item25e2464504:g:cDgAAOSw29xbcZvc Here is a picture of them on my tractor. 100_0193.jpg 100_1698.JPG They shine over the cab just fine and light up in front nice. I would not want them mounted right next to my head as the light is still brite and needs to be shielded from your eyes. I would not want my head next to my head lights either. A hood to stop side glare who work if they have to be low on the tractor near your head.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I would not want them mounted right next to my head as the light is still brite and needs to be shielded from your eyes. I would not want my head next to my head lights either. A hood to stop side glare who work if they have to be low on the tractor near your head.
I use these: Horse Blinders Worth every penny! I have cataracts and and have big problems with glare, these work just fine! Lots of good rubber winter products at Artillian.

(Might I take the liberty to suggest some "Non-Metal" blower edges...?:laugh:)

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
12,770 Posts
I use these: Horse Blinders Worth every penny! I have cataracts and and have big problems with glare, these work just fine! Lots of good rubber winter products at Artillian.
X50 ! Why JD even bothered with ROPS mounted lights without some kind of shield is beyond me. The Artillian horse blinders work amazing. Below is one being used with a JD LED light (J.W. Speaker). The shields are rather thin and floppy but hold their shape once bolted in place.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts