Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me as I know this keeps getting asked and I have searched but......

What is the deal with getting a leaf blower for a 1023e? I don't think I am willing to spend over $2k for a rear-PTO solution and I am ok with a gas powered walk-behind adapted for the front (or back) of the 1023e.

What are you all doing? I know you all can't be pushing walk-behinds around!

Please link me or let me know what's good. I was thinking at worst I would try to get a walk-behind strapped to the loader. But that would be a little bit ghetto on such a nice machine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Try using the mower. I haven't tried it with my 60D, but at home I used the mower to blow into a line, then rake up.

I think there are a couple of posts talking about using the mower. I'll try to find them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
All the PTO powered ones I know about are to big and require to much horsepower for the 1 or even 2 series machines.

We have a Little Wonder that serves us well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am aware of the Little Wonder and Billy Goat. They are nice but expensive.

I was just about to purchase a Yardage Rake like the one below:

Yard Tuff Inline Acreage Rake — 55in. W, 6 Tine Reels, Model# ACR-600T | Dethatchers Rakes| Northern Tool + Equipment

I think I will still need a small blower, but perhaps if I get a yardage rake (which will also serve as a dethacher) I could get away with a backpack model.

Opinions?
I agree with the post above,

In regards to your post-

I have watched nearly identical units like that in your post work. they do a lot better job than most would believe. They are not useful on tighter properties, but if you have 1/2 acre or more that is open, they work great.

I mow for a living and have keep up with what works when it comes to stuff like BP's. The bigger units out these days will do an awful lot of work in fairly short order. One of them with the rake may do just exactly what you want.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I bought a used 10 hp Wonder a few years back. I have a fairly sloped back yard, and pushing/pulling that heavy metal unit back and forth got old really quick. I also used pull behind sweepers on my garden tractor for many years, but when it gets deep, I have to empty it very often.

My best decision was to buy a Stihl backpack blower. It puts out a lot of air and moves leaves quite well, almost as well as the Wonder. I still have to do a lot of walking, but then I'm only trying to clear about 3/4 acre of lawn. During the fall, if I don't keep after the leaves often enough, I blow them into piles and drag out the tarps. It's just a fall ritual for me now.

I also looked into the self propelled walk-behind blowers, but those prices were way steeper that the manual push models. So I stopped looking.

Another benefit with a backpack blower, is for snow removal when there are only a few inches of light powder. Also works great for clearing snow off my cars and deck.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
15,071 Posts
As FredHickory stated use the mower to put them in a row . I close off the end of mower opening and mulch my leaves several friends do the same thing..
Yes I have a Stihl hand blower works great for leaves and light snow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

I have ordered the acreage rake and a big backpack leaf blower. I think this setup will do. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks guys.

I have ordered the acreage rake and a big backpack leaf blower. I think this setup will do. :greentractorride:
Could you post a write-up/demo of the rake when you get it together? I'd be interested to see it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, will do.

I went with this: Husqvarna 150BT Backpack Blower — 50.2cc, 710 CFM, Model# 150BT | Leaf Blowers| Northern Tool + Equipment

It was between this Husqvarna for $299 or the Echo from Home depot for $499. This is only slightly less CFM, displacement, and MPH vs the biggest echo, but its $200 less. I thought I would be OK.

Here is the Echo: ECHO 234 mph 765 CFM Gas Backpack Blower-PB-770T at The Home Depot

What do y'all think?
I mow for a living and I'm a bit of a BP fanatic. I can just about quote all the bigger BP's specs by heart LOL
That 150 is a nice blower, and is the same as the 350 they sell at Lowe's etc except for the shoulder harness and throttle control locations.

The specs on that 150 are misleading though because they quote the CFM taken at the impeller housing vs at the tube end where most other blowers are measured. The real CFM number is around 500 CFM, which is still very good for someone that doesn't need the biggest to keep to earn their living. The Echo 770 specs are- 756 CFM and 234 MPH copied and posted from their site. I think you may have transposed a couple numbers.

The real barn burners out now are the RM 7500/8500 which are the same exact blowers as the Husky 570/580. Husky owns RM. I have the 570 and believe me, it gets things done.

Here is a link you might find interesting. The Stihl BR430 is about the equivalent of your new blower-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePqL085xf-g

·
Registered
342 Posts
By the time you have all the contraptions to windrow and move the leaves by blowing, collect, and dispose may as well buy a vacuum. I've been looking at Peco, TracVac, and Protero. The TracVac seems to be priced the best. But what I think I'm going to do is mount my old craftsman 2-canner onto a 3PH carry-all and up-size the motor. With the deck adapter, I'm guessing in the $700 range to get a 3PH setup that will work for me. The 2-canner isn't much capacity, but it's all I need. For lots of leaves the trailer versions seem to be the only way to go. If I had tons of money, I'd probably go with the Protero. I think the JD dump adapter for their collectors is really made by Protero.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
To circle back to this topic:

The landscape rake broke within 15 mins of use. I have lots of roots and undulations in my yard. It likely had something to do with it, but I was disappointed in the durability of the rake. It really just ended up tearing up the lawn from which weeds and clovers grew all this year. Maybe I dethatched too early, I don't know. Bottom line is you need to have a perfectly flat lawn for the rake to work.

To compound my frustration, Yard-Tuff dragged their feet on replacing the part for several weeks. Frustrating to say the least. It now sits in my barn broken with a replacement part still in packaging. I'm not sure I even have a use for it now. I do not think it would rake leaves well and dethatching proved to be more cumbersome that I had hoped.

Fast forward to today, I have been using my Husqvarna BT150 backpack for tidying up doorsteps and driveway dusting. Its a good blower but in trying to move large leaf piles, its too time consuming.

So for the last two months I have been searching endlessly for a PTO blower for the 1023e. What I learned is that its slightly too small for most things I could find used. The one piece I could pickup (agrimetal 1600) was way more coin that I could justify - $3,250. Leaf vacs seemed like one-trick ponys and I wanted a blower to keep things clean.

So I have just ordered a BillyGoat 9hp walk behind. It looks pretty stout. I'm hoping I can fabricate something to attatch it to the 3pt soon after I receive it. I was thinking about buying a cary-all and attatching some caster-wheels to the bottom. The blower was about $1,200. If I go ahead and build a little platform for the blower with caster wheels, I think I would still be below $1,500. Thats a significant savings for the Agrimetal 1600. Then I can use the blower on the back of the tractor for big jobs and push it for quick ones. Either way I am happy to finally come to a decision.

Hope this helps anyone else with a 1023e and a huge yard with few options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts