Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read thru all of the threads and it appears that the grease boot tearing is a common problem. I do not believe mine is torn, however the zerk on top will not take any grease. I replaced the zerk with a new one and it still will not take any grease. I am concerned the joint is worn out or something, and I do not want to create any further damage. No steering issues. Anyone else have this issue?

Thank you,

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I have read thru all of the threads and it appears that the grease boot tearing is a common problem. I do not believe mine is torn, however the zerk on top will not take any grease. I replaced the zerk with a new one and it still will not take any grease. I am concerned the joint is worn out or something, and I do not want to create any further damage. No steering issues. Anyone else have this issue?

Thank you,
I never had a problem with it taking grease. The problem I had was the zerk popping out. I had to drill out the hole to put a bigger zerk in last fall. Maybe pull the zerk out and squirt some fluid film or your favorite penetrating oil in the grease hole. To be honest, I noticed when I had mine apart there is really not much space at all between the end of the greaser zerk and the actual joint. Only takes 2-3 pumps from the grease gun to have grease dripping on the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I agree with cheesetrain , it doesn't take much to grease up . :bigthumb:

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Mine won't take the slightest bit of grease. Hasn't since brand new. I have pulled the zerk and tested it, it passes grease just fine. I can see that there is grease inside, but when I put the zerk back in and try to give it some grease - nothing. Not even a tiny bit will go in.

Several times over the years I have revisited this issue. Each time the result is the same. But there is grease in there, so I am not too worried about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine won't take the slightest bit of grease. Hasn't since brand new. I have pulled the zerk and tested it, it passes grease just fine. I can see that there is grease inside, but when I put the zerk back in and try to give it some grease - nothing. Not even a tiny bit will go in.

Several times over the years I have revisited this issue. Each time the result is the same. But there is grease in there, so I am not too worried about it.
Glad to hear I am not the only one. I guess I will not worry about it since there is some grease in there.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
i don't think it's necessarily the same problem, but I've had grease fittings that wouldn't take grease because the passageway under the grease fitting was packed with dried grease and dirt. If I took the zerk out and cleaned it out with a scribe and some WD40, I was able to get it to take grease again.

Reactions: kylew
1 - 7 of 7 Posts