Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on picking up one of these LENOX MetalMax Cutoff Wheels today, but I ran across this unfavorable video review:

Does anyone have any experience with these? I saw a thread from Kenny about one, but it was some time ago. I'll be cutting 11 gauge hot rolled plate with it. After the less than stellar review, I'm wondering if a standard cutoff wheel would work ok. I guess a 3rd option is that I could bust out the torch too...

Anyway, anybody use the Lenox wheels currently?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've never tried those, I have had great success with the regular ones from DeWalt. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QYY03E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2JGW2OPP02XNF&coliid=I1BI1E9Y3OB7TA

I like the idea of a longer lasting more durable cut off wheel, I use them a lot. If you've used them as much as I have you know why the nickname "death wheel" is used. :laugh: That's why a metal one might be safer and more desirable. After you have a fiber one explode in a cut, the awkward self pat down while you look for impalement could be avoided.

I've heard really good things about the Metabo Slicer wheels from my favorite youtubers, but I've never bought those either. I really like the threaded type wheel I can just spin on, so I stick with those DeWalts.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never tried those, I have had great success with the regular ones from DeWalt. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QYY03E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2JGW2OPP02XNF&coliid=I1BI1E9Y3OB7TA

I like the idea of a longer lasting more durable cut off wheel, I use them a lot. If you've used them as much as I have you know why the nickname "death wheel" is used. :laugh: That's why a metal one might be safer and more desirable. After you have a fiber one explode in a cut, the awkward self pat down while you look for impalement could be avoided.

I've heard really good things about the Metabo Slicer wheels from my favorite youtubers, but I've never bought those either. I really like the threaded type wheel I can just spin on, so I stick with those DeWalts.
Thanks I don't think I've see the threaded cutoff wheels before. I'll probably check those out. I use a full face shield when using the abrasive wheels, I've had them come apart before too.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Every set I ordered has a plastic threaded portion, like in the alternate views of that amazon link. I'm not sure if they switched to a metal center, but I've never had an issue with the plastic. The flap discs I have from them have a metal center nut. The flap discs are just okay, I usually buy what I can find cheap and I thought I'd try the DeWalts since I liked the cut offs. Meh.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,403 Posts
I haven't found anything better than DeWalt cutoff wheels.

Hate using cutoff wheels, like just about everybody, had them come apart.
Sometimes you have to however.

Full face shield and thick leather gloves are a must.
I also use both hands holding the grinder, as grinder body and power handle.

Dangerous anyway you look at it, be careful.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I’ve not watched the video yet admittedly, but I used some Amazon GC’s to buy a 14” one for my cutoff saw and replace my abrasive blades. I’d been drooling over one of the cold style chop saws but couldn’t justify the $, so when I found the Lenox that was compatible (size, RPM' etc) with my current saw I thought I’d give one a try.

It’s been delivered but not installed or used yet, but maybe I could try and use it sooner than later and get some idea of if/how it’ll work for that application.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I was planning on picking up one of these LENOX MetalMax Cutoff Wheels today, but I ran across this unfavorable video review:

Does anyone have any experience with these? I saw a thread from Kenny about one, but it was some time ago. I'll be cutting 11 gauge hot rolled plate with it. After the less than stellar review, I'm wondering if a standard cutoff wheel would work ok. I guess a 3rd option is that I could bust out the torch too...

Anyway, anybody use the Lenox wheels currently?

I guess I’m a bit confused about this video, it seems that he just doesn’t like them mostly because of the cost and what he assumed would be their performance level but offers no empirical measurement or comparative cutting time/life/quality/etc between the Lenox and the abrasive blades he does claim to like....

If he did the same cut with each and timed them, qualified the amount of cleanup for each somehow or actually did the math on the life cycle cost of multiple $2 blades vs the $14 one I’d be more inclined to be swayed by his opinion of “I just dislike them”

This video is somewhat more objective and is positive on its overall opinion, so who you gonna believe?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I’ve not watched the video yet admittedly, but I used some Amazon GC’s to buy a 14” one for my cutoff saw and replace my abrasive blades. I’d been drooling over one of the cold style chop saws but couldn’t justify the $, so when I found the Lenox that was compatible (size, RPM' etc) with my current saw I thought I’d give one a try.

It’s been delivered but not installed or used yet, but maybe I could try and use it sooner than later and get some idea of if/how it’ll work for that application.
Post up when you try it. I've got an abrasive I don't use anymore that I would convert if they work well, even though I have a Rage cold cut.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I guess I’m a bit confused about this video, it seems that he just doesn’t like them mostly because of the cost and what he assumed would be their performance level but offers no empirical measurement or comparative cutting time/life/quality/etc between the Lenox and the abrasive blades he does claim to like....
I've watched some of that guy's other videos, and he knows metal cutting. I'm not disagreeing with your estimation of his lack of science, but if you've seen him run a torch...

The video you linked is for a 6", and I have to believe that makes a difference as well. The 6" grinders are all built heavier, maybe the Lenox needs more power to cut well and would perform better with a high end tool?

·
Administrator
17,250 Posts
I've used mine about a dozen times so far on square tubing, thin will though-and a few bolts. I can recommend them for thinner stuff like your 11ga plate. On the large square tube he showed for about 3 seconds it looked like it was going really well but then he cut away. If I was cutting S80 pipe like in the video, I would not be using any sort of handheld cutoff wheel.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've used mine about a dozen times so far on square tubing, thin will though-and a few bolts. I can recommend them for thinner stuff like your 11ga plate. On the large square tube he showed for about 3 seconds it looked like it was going really well but then he cut away. If I was cutting S80 pipe like in the video, I would not be using any sort of handheld cutoff wheel.
We use dewalt zip wheels a lot and tried the Lennox. My opinion is the same as yours. Light work is good but so are zips. I use a Milwalke portaband for everything I can for the safety factor and much less mess. We haven't used a tank of aceteylene in 5 years. Almost everything is with the other two.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call me Guinea Pig...

Xfu3WwFtWITbt0LakpIYExd5ImYYRv4sZO8bnVub5DMpocOFE-s6YiZpLvYwC8XIhHgr2Re_ArACIyerLRdKDc4FG0aokYdq.jpg

I went to Lowe's to get the Lenox and DeWalt, then stopped by Home Depot to look at Milwaukee portabands, did not get one of those, but decided to give the Diablos a spin. I'll give them a shot and report back tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I guess because I've dealt with all sorts of ways of cutting metal/steel in just about every shape, size, and thickness for going on 25 years, I have no problem using a cutoff wheel. A good cutoff wheel on a 4-1/2" and 6" grinder used properly can do wonders.:thumbup1gif: IMHO, Sait is the best bar none.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've used the dewalt ones for years and have never had a problem. I use them in a Dewalt tool if that matters.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
I usually use dewalts or metablo in my 6” makita. I would not try the Lenox only for the reason that sometimes on equipment you have to rotate the Gaurd a little to get the position you need. The abrasive blade will cut your glove or rub your finger but burns it more than cuts it. I would be afraid of what the metal blade would do if it grabbed on to the glove.

I don’t know if that make them in 14” but I could see it really working well in my chop saw.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Believe it or not, but Horrible Freight used to have the best 4.5" cut-off wheels. They were made in Russia and sold for $.50 each in 10 packs before 20-25% off coupon. When they switched suppliers (many years ago) the quality went to crap and I stopped stocking up on them with every super coupon I didn't have another use for. I think I'm down to 2-3 unopened packs, so I'm interested in how the current offerings shake out.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
We tried every brand available over the years. They all will do the job, but as for lasting the longest, Sait is the winner.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
....I don’t know if that make them in 14” but I could see it really working well in my chop saw.

They do, I have one just haven’t had the chance to try it in my Rigid chop saw, per my post on page 1 of this thread I’ll work on that now sooner than later as this thread came up and has all of us, myself included, so interested.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
They do, I have one just haven’t had the chance to try it in my Rigid chop saw, per my post on page 1 of this thread I’ll work on that now sooner than later as this thread came up and has all of us, myself included, so interested.
So among the 1000&1 other things I did today, I mounted the 14”Lenox blade on the trusty Rigid abrasive saw, double checked rotation and clearance and plugged it in. It didn’t explode, catch fire, or take off any of my appendages-good start!

After gathering and donning all of my PPE I dared to squeeze the handle and start the saw, off and running-seemed to speed up just like an abrasive blade, I let it spin for a minute or two with no load then released the handle, it slowly stopped-just like always.

Then I picked 3 of my heaviest cutting tasks to try it out. Now my cutting station is in the unheated portion of my barn, the lighting is poor and I still have lots to do today so I didn’t time or film any of the cutting but I’ll summarize and there is also a picture to help out.

I tried not to put too much down pressure on the saw and give the blade an advantage over an abrasive one. That said I like it. It certainly seemed to cut as fast or faster than an abrasive, threw somewhat fewer sparks, was just as noisy, and made completely serviceable cuts in everything I tried. It did leave as much or more swarf (sp?) on the pieces but I don’t anticipate much if any more time in grinder cleanup vs. an abrasive as I always touch every cut piece anywhere before welding. It did leave somewhat of a rougher cut face than an abrasive blade, but not detrimentally so, kind of like the difference between 100 and 80 grit sandpaper and if definitely seemed to impart less heat into the piece while cutting.

Cuts were made in hot rolled A36
0.5”x2.5” Flat stock
1”x1”x0.125” wall tube
2”x2”x0.25” angle iron

A note on the angle iron, especially the 0.25”-I usually end up cutting halfway on the standing leg of this and scoring the “flat” leg then flipping the piece and cutting the remaining leg standing up. My abrasive blades really took forever, heated up the piece a lot and seemed to kick off to the side as I pressed on thru in one stroke on the flat side of the angle, so I took to cutting them in halves and got better results but took more time and occasionally didn’t line things up perfect and had to grind or recut pieces. I didn’t flip the angle with the Lenox and just cut straight thru, it did a good enough job this time that unless I see big changes I’ll be able to stop that double work. It was much quicker, didn’t heat the flat up to a dull red glow like an abrasive and went square thru the piece.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts