Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I still have time and could change my order, lets discuss keeping the Deere Quicck Attach or changing to skid steer quick attach.

I never thought about it before and just assumed I would keep the JDQA. After reading a bit on here and wondering what else I might buy other than my bucket and pallet forks, I thought, should I do it now or save the cash.

My forks are JDQA but they also fit our other JD loader, so no biggie.

Lay it out. What are all the bennies and all the disappontments of each.

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well, I see no downside and only upsides to the SS-QA

A) Industry standard mounting = relatively cheap and superior quality attachments new. Easy to find nice used stuff.
B) Because its industry standard, I could change tractor series, brands, equipment type (for example 110 TLB, Mini-Wheel Loader, Skid Steer, etc) and utilize all my attachments
C) The lift reduction "downside" is correct to a point but is easily remidied. IMO its a problem JD Created. JD is the only MFG who offers a SS-QA and lets the customer "fend for themselves" so to speak...Well, they DO offer the Worksite pro attachments which are top of the line, but to combat the problem of the reduction in lift, every other MFG offers buckets with the SS/QA built especially for a CUT...Lighter duty and lighter in weight. For example..my bro has a Bobcat CT230...you'd think a company who subs out the tractor & loader would just use an existing off the shelf "in house" bucket, but they ship the tractor with a CUT specific bucket...which in terms of quality lines up shoulder to shoulder with your JD Heavy Duty bucket. Nice bucket dont get me wrong, but its got nothing on my "True Skid Steer" Foundry bucket.
D) Did I mention its an industry standard?

To make a long story short, the only negative that holds water is the reduction in lift capacity...If that concerns you, Buy your tractor less bucket and run down to the Kubota/Bobcat/NH/Etc.. dealer and buy a CUT/SS bucket. Its financially a smart move too.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
For me, the JDQA is the perfect setup for the 200 and 300 series loaders used on the new CUTs, as well as the 210, 410, 420, 430 loaders used on the slightly older CUTS. Here is why I think so:
1. It's quick, cheap (cost-wise), and light.
2. Does not push the attachment out further thereby reducing lift.
3. It's VERY easy to make you own stuff fit it, like forks.
4. Most any readily available SSQA attachment will be to heavy to use effectively on these loaders.
5. The 3 main attachments that work well on these loaders are buckets, forks, and grapples-and all are readily available with the JDQA setup from JD or in the aftermarket.

Now, I will admit that on the new 400 and 500 series loaders the SSQA may be the better choice.

Just my thoughts-probably worth what you paid for them:laugh:

Reactions: danmorea

·
Registered
128 Posts
The easiest way to go is the deere set up. You can find anything you want with the Deere set up on it. If you have anything custom made for you or buy online, you can ussually choose between either. I see no issue with the JD stuff.

If you owned a skid steer and could trade stuff, it might be different.

·
Registered
733 Posts
:soapbox:

Responses to KennyD's thoughts

1) Maybe Cheap Initially but...if you have more then a bucket I'd say its more expensive to go JDQA. I'll use myself as a case study (I'm rounding numbers because its been a while since I bought my tractor, I dont recall the numbers exactly)... 300cx minus bucket: $500.00 "discount". SS/QA: $300.00 option = $200.00 in your pocket. I got my bucket (New Old Stock) for that 200.00...so the upgrade cost me Zero. I wanted forks...found a set of BRAND NEW..never used CAT 6k forks...yes they are overkill for my tractor, but the price was right at $300.

2) How far out does the JDQA Shoes put the bucket?

3) Its super easy to buy an $80.00 SSQA plate and have at it...not hard to fab from scratch either.

4) I'm gonna split the difference with you on this one...I think JD got it right with what they offer a SS/QA for. 300cx and larger loaders are perfectly A-OK for the SS/QA. I said it before, the weight of the better bucket hasnt made the difference for me..I can pull and easily manage a heaping bucket of any materials I've come across thus far. IF JD would ditch the JDQA completely and offer a CUT/SS Bucket like the other MFG's this would be a moot point.

5) Yes all those attachments are available from JD or aftermarket..but if your a cheap SOB like me, you'll see that you can get better quality for less money with any one of the skid steer brands. I was a week away from picking up a set of Bobcat forks when I found the CAT forks...my Bobcat dealer seems to be priced the cheapest of anybody around when it comes to attachments like forks/buckets/grapples/etc..

Brian, I'd bet $25.00 that you could trade your tractor in as is (with your bucket), get the SS/QA w/Bucket and sell your forks on CL AND get a new set of SS/QA forks with that 25.00 I'll give you...

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
:soapbox:

Responses to KennyD's thoughts

1) Maybe Cheap Initially but...if you have more then a bucket I'd say its more expensive to go JDQA. I'll use myself as a case study (I'm rounding numbers because its been a while since I bought my tractor, I dont recall the numbers exactly)... 300cx minus bucket: $500.00 "discount". SS/QA: $300.00 option = $200.00 in your pocket. I got my bucket (New Old Stock) for that 200.00...so the upgrade cost me Zero. I wanted forks...found a set of BRAND NEW..never used CAT 6k forks...yes they are overkill for my tractor, but the price was right at $300.
Not everybody can or will find deal's like that-so IMHO that is not a good comparison. How often do $200 NOS buckets and brand new $300 forks come along? You said the forks are "overkill", that means to me there is a weight penalty then, and that may hurt some users-especially with smaller tractors.

2) How far out does the JDQA Shoes put the bucket?
None, the bucket (or attachment) is mounted right up against the QA shoes.

3) Its super easy to buy an $80.00 SSQA plate and have at it...not hard to fab from scratch either.
I have always seen them for well over $100, and you have to order them or get them on evilBay. The JD parts are about $40 and available locally, or they are SUPER easy to make yourself with some cheap CAT3 pins and some angle iron-much easier than the SSQA.
4) I'm gonna split the difference with you on this one...I think JD got it right with what they offer a SS/QA for. 300cx and larger loaders are perfectly A-OK for the SS/QA. I said it before, the weight of the better bucket hasnt made the difference for me..I can pull and easily manage a heaping bucket of any materials I've come across thus far. IF JD would ditch the JDQA completely and offer a CUT/SS Bucket like the other MFG's this would be a moot point.
If they "ditch it", then where does that leave the SCUT's(2305) and the smaller compacts(2x20's)? the JDQA is the perfect setup for them, and all of your points do not address them at all. There needs to be a cutoff somewhere, and in my opinion it's between the 300 series and the 400 series loaders.

5) Yes all those attachments are available from JD or aftermarket..but if your a cheap SOB like me, you'll see that you can get better quality for less money with any one of the skid steer brands. I was a week away from picking up a set of Bobcat forks when I found the CAT forks...my Bobcat dealer seems to be priced the cheapest of anybody around when it comes to attachments like forks/buckets/grapples/etc..
Again, "better quality" comes as a weight penalty for smaller machines. You must consider that there are many with less lift capacity than you have, and/or use their tractor differently than you do.

Dave, we will never agree on this issue, but we both have (I think) typed out well thought responses that will help any reader determine what's best for themselves., and at the end of the day-that's what's most important.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I've debated about converting my 420 loader over to SSQA. Modifying the bucket is easy due to its design; but unless I fabricate my own hitch (just what I need, another project), getting a ready made one from ATI is about $1,000. At this point in time, that's too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've debated about converting my 420 loader over to SSQA. Modifying the bucket is easy due to its design; but unless I fabricate my own hitch (just what I need, another project), getting a ready made one from ATI is about $1,000. At this point in time, that's too rich for my blood.
If your a handy fellow...why not modify the JD one? The JD SSQA is in the neighborhood of $300

·
Registered
733 Posts
Dave, we will never agree on this issue, but we both have (I think) typed out well thought responses that will help any reader determine what's best for themselves., and at the end of the day-that's what's most important.
Couldnt agree with you more Ken! We agree to disagree! Now...lets go debate the Cab/No Cab issue :laugh:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have wished on occasion that the 3720 has skidsteer QA but having the CT322, i got both at my disposal. :D With my grapple, if we did have SSQA on the 3720, it can barely lift the grapple itself. Yeah, there are lighter grapples out there but you would also need hydraulic ports to power it. A post hole digger could also be used with a SSQA but you also need the HP to run the hydraulics to the power it requires. IMHO

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
If your a handy fellow...why not modify the JD one? The JD SSQA is in the neighborhood of $300
Now that's a thought as $300 is more doable. I'll have to look into it.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Thanks for the kit number Dave!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I thought about it, but bailed in the end. There arre plenty of used JD attachments out there too.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The other great part of JDQA is that people with SSQA cannot borrow your stuff. I had a guy I have never met before come over and ask to borrow my forks. He had a NH and they would not work. Made it easy!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Couldnt agree with you more Ken! We agree to disagree! Now...lets go debate the Cab/No Cab issue :laugh:

Yes you both have good points however, I think Turf Special Tires are better all-around tires (except for plowing dirt and brush work), than any other tires! :D LOL!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts