Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

The website is still in the process of having the furniture moved around, but the Grapple webpage is now up, running, and available for all to see.

Grapple

Have a look!

(Wow, I can't believe I'm f.i.n.a.l.l.y posting this....It's been a very long road)

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
Congrats Chris :good2:

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Me likes. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
11,768 Posts
new grapple

well artillian ; ur gonna sell a #%^%$% load of them products looks very good and light for these small machines, good job. big jim

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been going like a deep fried dog lately trying to get this project completed once and for all so I don't have an awful lot of images or action video ready to share here (yet), but I've got one story I can share about the usefulness, durability and versatility of this grapple.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally found a few minutes to carve out a new trail through our woods that I've been dying to attack for several months. But first, I had to pop up this one small stone that was sticking up just high enough to catch the rotary mower, which I use to cut trails. Of course, as soon as the 46 backhoe bucket went into the ground, it was obvious that this was no small stone. It was a big'n, about 5-6 ft x 3ft x 16". I used the backhoe to flip and shift it up onto another huge flat rock just to get it out of the way. Figured I might as well make it a "feature" on the trail.

Then, as I was leveling the ground with the grapple tines, it became obvious there was another one down there. Back to the backhoe. I got it up no problem, but then I got the urge to stack it up onto the other one and make a bona fide cairn out of the mess. Or at least die trying. The only way to get it up there was with the loader so I set off with the grapple, mashing the tines under this slightly smaller stone. I clamped down on it, rolled back, and the loader seemed like it was just barely hoisting the weight of the stone off the ground. At that point, even though the rear tires were getting no traction, I figured I had it licked. I moved it off to the side and went about using the grapple as a scouring rake leveling up the trail, which worked perfectly. The tines scarified the ground very well and the cross tubes of the grapple make great soil levelers. Within a few minutes, the former undulating open pits from the stones were a perfectly smooth walking trail. I couldn't believe how fast it was over. And all of the little surface roots and growth were all plucked up, ready to be swept away. Cool.

Then I got the stone back into the grapple and up off of the ground, maneuvered the tractor around, and worked the stone up the front of the other one, all the while with it securely held by the grapple like a dog's bone. After a few minutes and some loader trickery, I got the stone up and set perfectly on top. As I rolled away, I looked back in disbelief that I just did that with a 2520. And way too easily, in about a half an hour. The fun was over before it started. I just wish I had known so I could have gotten some (more) photos or video along the way. But I did get a couple at least.​

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I must say I do like the design and always felt a 40" bed with grapple covering the entire bed would be ideal. Very nice job Chris!

However, considering cost and weight of such setup, I'm likely looking at a smaller combination. So I'm curious what others think is the best combination/cost/weight and why. Just me trying to make a decision. Qualitywise is definitely not in question with products from artillian.

Chris, are there going to be other options for these as well? Say, if I bought the ones without the grapple but wanted to add the grapple to it later (just the top bit)?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well I just bought one... We had an EF 2 tornado tear through our camping community last night. No deaths as of now. My family has 5 units out there (mom/dad, uncle/ aunt, and aunt /uncle). One Park model is a total loss, mine is prob a gonner, my uncles was pushed a foot and is almost off its leveling blocks... They are not letting residents in just yet, but hopefully by the weekend we can access it. I'll make due with the forks, but that Grapple can't get here fast enough!!!!!!!

http://wgntv.com/2015/06/23/way-worse-than-what-we-anticipated-assistant-fire-chief-says-damage-in-sublette-is-worst-hes-ever-seen/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435122269.270982.jpg
This was my uncles place on this past Sunday.

Now it looks like this!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435122317.642834.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435122338.976920.jpg

And the rest of us look almost this bad....

Didn't mean to hijack, just still in disbelief...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435122415.934279.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435122427.482742.jpg

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Well I just bought one... We had an EF 2 tornado tear through our camping community last night. No deaths as of now. My family has 5 units out there (mom/dad, uncle/ aunt, and aunt /uncle). One Park model is a total loss, mine is prob a gonner, my uncles was pushed a foot and is almost off its leveling blocks... They are not letting residents in just yet, but hopefully by the weekend we can access it. I'll make due with the forks, but that Grapple can't get here fast enough!!!!!!!

Community of Sublette, including campground, assess damage | WGN-TV

View attachment 47610
This was my uncles place on this past Sunday.

Now it looks like this!
View attachment 47611
View attachment 47612

And the rest of us look almost this bad....

Didn't mean to hijack, just still in disbelief...

View attachment 47613

View attachment 47614
Aww man, that's just terrible. Very sorry for your property loss.

·
Registered
11,768 Posts
Yamaguy; sorry for weather problems for u and ur family. hope what ever turn's up, everybody and things are ok!!. big jim

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,127 Posts
Chris, Nice job on the WEB page too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's a very nice looking system that you've built Chris. It appears to be well engineered and built and seems to have a lot of little features.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
503 Posts
So sorry to hear but thankfully no one was killed. Terrible though.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Great looking product!

Web page is pretty good as well.

Something strange though, I could feel this vacuum effect on my wallet once I opened the web page.....

Fork frame, x3 rake beds, x1 grapple, x1 diverter, and what good is a fork frame without forks.....and MORE accessories to follow!

I gotta find the tree this stuff grows on :gizmo:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes, the webpage is layed out very informative. Especially like how you included your early generation diagrams showcasing what will adapt with it. Nice job. Let me know when you'd like to do a video with this.

Best.

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
Yes, the webpage is layed out very informative. Especially like how you included your early generation diagrams showcasing what will adapt with it. Nice job. Let me know when you'd like to do a video with this.

Best.
Me too. When I saw mention of an "early" fork frame I immediately thought "Uh oh, mine is probably incompatible". The drawings were very helpful in eliminating my concerns.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Been waiting for the Grapple with great anticipation. Ordered mine the moment the release was announced.

Now, I can spend my days happily moving big unwieldy objects that don't need to be moved and picking up stuff that doesn't need to be picked up.

My plan is to drive slowly up and down the road on Sunday mornings while clamping and unclamping the jaws to intimidate the neighbors.

My life is finally complete!

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Well I just bought one... We had an EF 2 tornado tear through our camping community last night. No deaths as of now. My family has 5 units out there (mom/dad, uncle/ aunt, and aunt /uncle). One Park model is a total loss, mine is prob a gonner, my uncles was pushed a foot and is almost off its leveling blocks... They are not letting residents in just yet, but hopefully by the weekend we can access it. I'll make due with the forks, but that Grapple can't get here fast enough!!!!!!!]
My grapple on my 4720 was absolutely invaluable after our big storm last summer. You're very correct in wanting it yesterday!!

Good luck, and be safe in the cleanup.

-J.

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great looking product!

Web page is pretty good as well.

Something strange though, I could feel this vacuum effect on my wallet once I opened the web page.....

Fork frame, x3 rake beds, x1 grapple, x1 diverter, and what good is a fork frame without forks.....and MORE accessories to follow!

I gotta find the tree this stuff grows on :gizmo:
I completely understand that this whole venture is spendy when you consider all the necessary bits and pieces (Imagine how it is from here!!). However, a couple of points.

1) A diverter system of some sort is a fixed expense regardless of which grapple someone gets, unless of course their tractor is already set up for it from the factory.

2) When you look at the whole package, the cost is lower per attachment, they are more functional, and weigh less than anything else out there. Someone could have a set of our forks and a grapple for around a couple grand (single grapple/full bed, standard fork set). Dedicated attachments of any decent quality would likely cost more and still not offer as much. These things have been engineered into the stratosphere, unlike so many other attachments on the market which are usually simply overbuilt using the most basic of materials, at best.

The whole concept at work here is for us weekend warriors to maximize the use of the investment into the base frame (pallet fork frame) and to be able to store the various attachments more easily as opposed to having an unhappy wife griping about a yard full of rusting blobs all over the place for most of the year while they aren't being used.

Personally, if I blew $1600-2000+ on a good dedicated grapple, I wouldn't want to store it out in the yard and I would have a hard time storing something that big inside, in addition to all of the other attachments I happen to have.

Boy, I could just go on and on about this stuff....but must get back to work...!

:bigbeer:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts