Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know someone... They have a year old tractor, and discovered it had a slight, "drop on the floor every day or two", transmission leak.

Let's say that friend called the dealer early May, the service manager told them it was common and they "just reseal it, it takes a week", and then the friend waited two months 'til the end of June to get the tractor fixed.

Lets also say, that when the got the tractor back to his house... he found that the nut that held the brake lever to the transmission shaft was at the end of the threads ready to fall off, the entire left fender(fuel tank) was loose and missing hardware, the fuel filter was not clamped, the top ROPS bolts were only threaded in two or three turns, the dash cowl bolts were loose, floor pan put back crooked, the right fender pocket bolt was sitting loose in the pocket (not threaded at all), a reused cotter pin and the wrong washer on the diff lock arm, bent at an angle that would likely have it fail soon, and the cover that was leaking had bolts with the heads damaged and paint missing from that gear case cover making it looked possibly over torqued.

Lets say, that when that friend called the service manager... a GREAT guy, who sold him the tractor, to report this, he said he had had enough, couldn't keep working like that, and quit

What would you tell that friend to do?

Well.. I'd tell him to reach out to Deere corporate, and the dealership...because it sounds like a problem.

Let's say he did do that, and the president of the dealership promised to have not one, but two of his best techs work together, to completely disassemble any work done the first time, inspect everything, replace any damaged parts, and use a torque wrench according to the service manual to reassemble the tractor.

My friend, acting in good faith... chose not to share photos on his favorite forum, social media, nor did he even tell friends or others about the issues...although he really wanted to...

Lets say, that the dealer kindly loaned that friend a really nice tractor to use while that work was to be done... but.. that it took 3 weeks and a day to get the tractor back, missing several promised delivery dates with various excuses, from the new service manager, related to replacement fasteners having been on order, and waiting for sealant to dry an extra day, just so its perfect...

Then.. let's say that friend looked at the tractor when he got home from an 11 hour work day, to find the very first bolt he touched... one that was in one of the pictures sent with the first complaint...loose and the nut ready to fall off.

What would you tell that friend to do?

I'd tell him to let the dealership know he found a loose bolt, but then to go eat dinner, have a drink, and then go out later when he calmed down to look things over...

Well... If that friend was smart.. he might have taken pictures of every bolt head on the tractor before he sent it back for the second "expert" repair right? .. Lets say, for the sake of argument, he did.

Maybe the friend would go out that evening, after waiting 3 weeks and a day for the "pros" to finish up, to find that only that one bolt was loose, and that everything else looked great, and all was well in the world...
Wouldn't that be awesome... and that one bolt perfectly excusable right?... one bolt?

We could stop the story here and rejoice !!!

Or...
Let's say the friend went out to look, found that all the dealership had done was tighten the bolts shown in the photos he shared the first time...oh.. except for the loose one.
And...
Let's say, that the person who did the work this time had trimmed the excess sealant off the case, and sprayed a heavy coat of thick black paint over everything...not even bothering to wipe off the hydraulic fluid that was on the case from what hopefully, is not still a leak, but maybe was on the case from the first leak.

Let's say they zip tied wires, as requested, because they left them hanging the first time, ...and zip tied one right to the pipe that comes off the hydraulic pump (gets pretty hot there..) .. and maybe they left a connector pinched in the PTO cover that should have been tied up.

At this point... I'd say the friend should get suspicious, and begin comparing bolt head marking locations, factory marks, chipped paint from bolt heads, spacer markings etc...to the no less than 40 photos he took before he sent it back for the presidents finest to rectify...

What should he do, if he found that every single bolt head, spacer, and washer, except for the ones that were falling out, were in exactly the same position? .. I mean... is it possible to take a transmission out, take it apart, put it back together, and get every bolt back in the same hole? Every nut, spacer, and bolt head, in the same exact rotation..not a degree off?

It might also be odd for the friend to find that the "mechanics" had marked the heads of the bolts with a white paint marker right? Even though there was not a single new tool mark to be found on any of them...and every single head marking was at the same rotation...

Might also be weird for the cotter pin in the diff lock rod, that has to be disconnected for the tranny to come out... that was poorly bent and reused the first time.. to be back in exactly the same bend, with the same wrong washer, flipped the same way... I mean.. how many times can you re-use a split pin without at least one leg breaking off?

Oh and.. wouldn't it be weird... if that electrical connector, the one that was pinched in the PTO cover.. the one in the tractor side harness that would have to be moved to get the trans out, or be torn off... to get get pinched back in exactly the same spot in the pto cover it was before the "work".
I mean..they would have had to un-pinch it from the PTO cover to allow the trans to come out.. then, after they put the trans back in... put it back in exactly the same spot and close the PTO cover on it.

Then what would you tell that friend to do?
I'd tell him to email Deere with the same case number, email the service manager, and the president of the company who made those great promises, some of the photos proving the trans hadn't been out and ask what happened.

Lets say he did that...before midnight last night...

Then lets say he very politely called the new service manager, the same guy who had told him he was waiting so long because of new fasteners, and for the sealant to dry, the next morning 20 minutes or so after opening...

What should my friend do, when the service manager says he's sure they took the trans out... but not sure they took it apart... then says he can get the friend a loaner Monday.
How should that friend react when the service manager, confronted with the photos, the wire plug that was never moved, the split pin in the same exact position, facts... evidence.. sticks to saying they did the work?

It's 11am... and no one has called that guy I know back.

He's not sure what to do...

What would you tell him?

·
Premium Member
8,469 Posts
Find a new dealer

·
Registered
55 Posts
Write the president of the company for a review of your case and state emphatically that you have been treated like Bubba the yokel....(and you can EASILY go online with your complaint and let the world decide). Detail the length you have gone to for your dealer.....giving him every opportunity to make this right. If no reply have a lawyer write the letter and ask for damages.
So sad....I've had such good luck with my JD dealer and my machine!
Karl Olson CT

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
I'd tell him to find a friend that writes shorter questions! 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
95 Posts
I suppose I'd tell that friend to document everything, (sorta like what was written above, in a condensed version), then tell the friend to find a new dealer while he was contacting the owner of the piss poor dealership. Going over the President's head, because that didn't work. Photographs, receipts, dates, and a (condensed) list of all problems should be sent to JD headquarters, and CC'd to an attorney.

Your "friend" should write a book about it,........... oh wait, nevermind, that one's covered. 😄

·
Super Moderator
3,340 Posts
So.... is this friend gonna ditch the 1023 and move up to that 2038 you were loaned? I mean your friend was loaned.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If my friend couldn't get adequate support for the simplest tractor Deere makes now, he probably wouldn't give them more money for a far more complex machine....

·
Super Moderator
3,340 Posts
Good thing there's more than one JD dealer out there 😄

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
if i had a friend like that i would advise him to hire a mechanic with credentials to do all the repairs needed ...and fully document each and every issue...........then when completed i would put together a bill...fully detailed .....add cost for lost time....add cost for headaches....add cost for punitive damages....add cost for any other loss incurred.....and have their lawyer send it to the appropriate party...(im sure a attorney could provide more insight)

because your friend....did document each n every issue...and did give the dealership the opportunity to complete the work......and its not reasonable for your friend to withstand any more loss with no expectation that the dealer can effectively complete the repairs correctly without further loss to friend...

sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.....i assume this was a warranty issue

then the issue is solved....if payment is not made or a settlement received...then further action legally can be taken with a strong expectation of success

i would also probably send a certified letter to the dealer outlining what i intended to do in advance to put them on notice......if it was a warranty issue i would also notify deere in writing because they may have paid the repair costs to the dealer for work that wasnt done

i would also know that a good case could be made esp since the previous service manager could be called in as a witness....usually problems like this are not isolated.....and previous SM would have supporting history

i would also not take a refund if i paid anything to release them from liability

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well I’d tell your friend he already knows what happened. They let his tractor sit for several days and hardly did a thing to it.

What would I do about it? Fix it my self and let them know why you won’t be doing business with them again and why you will spend the rest of your life bad mouthing them

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
I would also contact your salesman and the sales manager. I suspect the new service manager is not going to be there long anyway if this is how he conducts himself. Do they have a different dealer in there network that is shall we say, more stabile.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Been following you for a while....I'll just put this out there ..B2301...Make them eat that deer..Un excuseable.

I know what you wanted..I know what you had...You got Screwed....The loaner may have been nice.
Tell them you'll swap for the loaner......crickets I'm sure.
I feel for you as its clear you have 10 times the Knowledge of me...and way more patentce(whatever).

I'd have gone full blown (that dirty worD) by now

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer has 10 locations.. the customer was told it would not necesarrliyl be fixed at '"his" dealership... it would be fixed at the location with the two best techs they have.

They were excellent... I guess when the world broke.. it broke them with it.

Personally I dont mind mistakes, and I'll give anyone that makes a mistake a "do over" and credit to anyone that at least tries, honestly, to fix a mistake credit. But spray paint and lies.. that changes the game entirely.

My friend will wait to talk to the case manager at Deere and see whats next.

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
Geez what’s this world coming to? I’ll bet it’s a couple lazy nimrods who are responsible for this because they never got smacked around by their old man or preached nonstop by their mom to do things right no matter the cost. Integrity is becoming a thing of the past sadly and guys like Kenny are a diamond in the rough. These guys are right now posting pictures of their Traegers on Facebook showing off to their peeps while their shop is full of backlogged service. Bet not a one of them works over a 40 hr week. This is disgusting and runs a good name down. Don’t stand for it

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
Your friend needs to stop being a nice guy.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Thats why I ordered the tech manual for my tractor when I ordered it. Just like on my Chevy truck, and every vehi9cle I have owned for the last 40 years........, unless something catastrophic goes wrong with it that would be covered under warranty, it will never see the dealership once I own it.
Id rather spend my time and effort to fix it instead of exactly what 'your friend' is going through.

I wish 'your friend' a quick and favorable outcome/

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,968 Posts
When I have work done, I make a point of doing an inspection visit at the dealer BEFORE it gets loaded for delivery back to me. My motto is trust but verify. That way any issue can be physically pointed out, discussed and resolved before accepting the work as complete.
(y)
When I have an oil change in one of my vehicles at a dealership I don't even start the vehicle when I go pick it up without checking the oil level and making sure the filler cap is installed/reinstalled.

·
Premium Member
8,469 Posts
When I have work done, I make a point of doing an inspection visit at the dealer BEFORE it gets loaded for delivery back to me. My motto is trust but verify. That way any issue can be physically pointed out, discussed and resolved before accepting the work as complete.
Off topic, sorry. :eek:
Many years ago the Ford dealer was offering "lifetime" service warranty . I took my 78 Ford truck in and asked if the exhaust replacement would be covered. They said yes.
When the truck was done, I opened the hood and on one exhaust manifold the "ear" and stud where the exhaust pipe bolted on were broken off. They had wired a bolt in it's place. I took the service manager out to truck and showed him. He agreed the "repair" was not acceptable. They ordered and installed a new exhaust manifold. Good thing I looked.:)🤠(y)

About ten years later I had another exhaust system installed not charge. :)(y)

Maybe ten years after that I took it back for a third exhaust system. The service writer told me no such thing as lifetime service. I produced my paper work :devilish:. Service writer, service manager, parts manager and someone from up front had a conference. They told me parts were no longer available from Ford and refunded what I initially paid. I would have preferred a new exhaust system and many more. I have had the truck 42 year now. 🤠

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My friend almost did this work himself for fear of exactly what's happening.... But decided because he just bought a brand new machine, and had some level of trust with the dealership, that he should just live a little and let somebody else do the work for once...
Shoulda gone with his gut.... It has not been wrong.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts