Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so browsing the thread's I've seen WHAT ya'll are cooking (or drooling over somebody else cooking) How about you show us (and hopefully tell us about) what you're doing the cooking on!!

I have three,
a Weber Grill that is very ... unphotogenic and honestly I have none of it
a Offset Chargriller BBQ that has a few modifications, mostly for heat control. I've added plates under the grates, above the firebox opening to force the heat all the way across. At it's best, it was down to a 5* difference side to side ... but I've lost a few of the plates and it needs some work as I'm almost always firing up big mama ...

Taken at old house, new side firebox two years ago, looks about the same now - Rusty!

Big Mama ... a Custom Made (by me) Trailer Smoker ... It's using idea's from each of the major Mfg's like Lang, and blending them together to make a Smoker that once I get it hot, I don't have to fuss with again. If it's really windy or Cold I'll have to leave the firebox door open a bit, it could use a few more dampened holes - Winter Time Project
Just after it was 'finished'

During Construction:

it holds a bit...

It IS a reverse flow, works great. Almost no variation from one end to the other with the plates in it, being almost 7/16" Thick, once warm ... it STAYS warm, so while the fire might peak and valley ... the cooking chamber doesn't. ...

Okay lets see what You've all got!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work. Big Mamma is quite handsome. I could have used her a while back when I cooked baby backs for the Elks Lodge. I have a Big Green Egg and a Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker, but no pics at this time.
love the BGE!! That ceramic is about the same theory as Big Mama ...

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
BTW, have you checked out the cookbook? I posted my top secret rib rubb recipe along with my technique for smoking baby backs. I also use the same rubb and the same technique on chickens and they come out awesome! Some other good stuff in there also.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ribfest at work

This is a pic from Ribfest, a Big Green Egg Rib event we had at work. We cooked 75 racks of ribs and sold them at $1 a bone for Children's Hospital. We ended up making just over $1000 for CH. Fun time and lots of good food.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
BTW, have you checked out the cookbook? I posted my top secret rib rubb recipe along with my technique for smoking baby backs. I also use the same rubb and the same technique on chickens and they come out awesome! Some other good stuff in there also.
Here's a sneak preview of v.2 of the GTT cookbook PDF version that has not been "officially" released that opens to the page with your recipe/rubs.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
This is a pic from Ribfest, a Big Green Egg Rib event we had at work. We cooked 75 racks of ribs and sold them at $1 a bone for Children's Hospital. We ended up making just over $1000 for CH. Fun time and lots of good food.
How about some details? Recipes? That's a lot of ribs! I have cooked as many as 18 at a time, but all in all it took me three days.

·
Registered
279 Posts
What ??

Wow...I can't get my hat on now.
Your ribs look good. However reading the stuff needed you list a "Turkey Bake in bag" But never use it in the cooking process write up.

So what is it for?

Here is a rub recipe from "Amazing Ribs" web site.

Memphis Dust Recipe
Makes. About 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Takes. 15 minutes. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.
Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

I add a touch of Cyan pepper for a after taste kick. I add to taste on each batch depending on my guest list.

I use this on both ribs and Boston butts.

Here the ribs are smoking
DSC_0185.jpg

The end result. Nice smoke ring!!
DSC_0186.jpg

The smoker
DSC_0182.jpg

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Your ribs look good. However reading the stuff needed you list a "Turkey Bake in bag" But never use it in the cooking process write up.
So what is it for?

Here is a rub recipe from "Amazing Ribs" web site.

Memphis Dust Recipe
Makes. About 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Takes. 15 minutes. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.
Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

I add a touch of Cyan pepper for a after taste kick. I add to taste on each batch depending on my guest list.

I use this on both ribs and Boston butts.

Steve
I have found that preparing the ribs the night before, i.e. adding the rubb/seasoning enhances the flavor for pork, and chicken especially. It's sort of a dry marinade. I put the ribs in the bag because they will lose some water, and if you have 4 or 5 slabs, it's enough to leak out of something like aluminum foil or Saran Wrap. I twist the opening and use a rubber band...and I never have a problem with leakage...and Sharn Jean is happy because it also contains the garlic and other odors. I always use Reynolds Turkey Bags because they are strooooooong.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
THat would've been something to see, that many BGE's in one place all cooking at once ...
We had 8 team competing, each on a large egg. Then we had another 6 eggs under our tent: 3 large with brisket and pork shoulders, 2XL and a 1 double XL cooking the ribs for Children's Hospital. The two XL had roughly 25 racks each and the double XL had 50 racks. I had the total wrong, they cooked 90 racks just for sale and samples. Sold $1000 worth and gave away the balance as samples, feed our associates, etc.

I was out of town that weekend. Our controller who runs all our cooking classes and promotions coordinated and ran the event. He and his team did a great job. This was our first Big Green Event and it went well. It made us nervous but after it was over we had a good idea how to improve for next year. When BGE told us we could cook 50 racks on a double XL we were skeptical to say the least. Everyone involved had a great time.

Here is our company link: Elliott's Ace Hardware Store - Elm Grove, WI | West Allis, WI | Muskego, WI | Pewaukee, WI

Matt

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is the double XL full of ribs.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
WOW!! Did everything in the pile cook consistently or did you have to rotate the meat?
I was told it all cooked. When they sold off the top layers, the next layers would brown up. There were a few burnt racks on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I was told it all cooked. When they sold off the top layers, the next layers would brown up. There were a few burnt racks on the bottom.
Wow! That's amazing! I have never cooked more that 5 racks at at time on my BGE. I never thought about stacking them; I always assumed that you had to have air circulation around them. If that's feasible, then I'm betting I could cook 15 or 20 on my large egg. I'm still dumbfounded by this technique!

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I'm still using the old SS Phoenix I bought off my LP supplier years ago, nothing fancy, but works just fine for my needs: Pictures 2016 045.JPG

Pig for the week: Pictures 2016 044.JPG

1 - 20 of 22 Posts