Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for one to help regrade our yard. I'll be spreading about 25 yards of soil. It'll mount to a 2038. Is it preferred to shop for a blade that's the same width of the tractor or a foot wider? Also any opinion if it's worth the extra cost for a floating tailgate on the blade?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
in my opinion ......

bigger and heavier is better as long as you have enough tractor to pull and control it.....i have seen in other threads where guys with smaller tractors buy a lighter weight BB and hang weights on it .......mine is big and heavy but so is my tractor..

heavy allows the BB to control the dirt vs the dirt controling (floating) the BB

mine has a floating tail and i never use it i leave it pinned fixed ...may be my ignorance but im not sure how it would help

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in my opinion ......

bigger and heavier is better as long as you have enough tractor to pull and control it.....i have seen in other threads where guys with smaller tractors buy a lighter weight BB and hang weights on it .......mine is big and heavy but so is my tractor..

heavy allows the BB to control the dirt vs the dirt controling (floating) the BB

mine has a floating tail and i never use it i leave it pinned fixed ...may be my ignorance but im not sure how it would help
Good point on the weight, for this project the soil is sand but in other projects the material will be clay and occasionally stone.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have completly worn out my BB twice.

Swapped the blade edges once and just noticed the other side is gone...

Were talking a 5 or 6 inch wide blade worn to the bolt heads in the middle.

It had 4 rippers...down to 3..ripped the mount clean off and collapesd the tube slightly in that area.

Mine is 60" ..as is my bucket..mower..and wheel track. I would Not want one Wider.

Carefull when backing up/pushing or you will ..
A. bend 3 point arm/s
or
B. Rip one of the turnbuckle (55$ Part) off the 3 point arm/s

The side plates of mine are worn down so far I have to set the front edge on a 4x4 to release it from the I match.

I'll probly be buried with or by it...its my favorite go to getR dun tool.

Has probly loogged @ least 20 miles on my 1/2 mile driveway as well as making flat ground where none exist on my steep prperty. Has a huge chunk of RR track 60" welded across the top /rear as well as a trailer hitch.

Get one..abuse it ...love it...GitSum

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I have a 6' BB on a 2038R, it's all that the machine can handle and if you're being aggressive it can stop you in your tracks. I wouldn't want a bigger one and I wouldn't want a smaller one. An extra 100lbs or so wouldn't hurt it, but I'm not sure I'd want more added than that.

·
Registered
536 Posts
5 foot Frontier box blade on a 1025r working clay, soil and gravel road . . . love it and it is a beast

Nothing broken so far

·
Registered
626 Posts
I got a 66” wide from Everything Attachments for my 2038r. Liked it covering my tires plus some so if I’m turning it’s covered. My soil is softer so not really dealing with clay. So far when not ripping 50/50 if I need 4wd engaged to pull it. When ripping you definitely need 4wd. The 66” had the same number of rippers as EA’s 60” so I didn’t think it would take any more effort to pull in the typical worst case. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but when ripping I drop the rippers all the way down and rip only. Then I’ll lift them up and let the box fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
536 Posts
5 foot Frontier box blade on a 1025r working clay, soil and gravel road . . . love it and it is a beast

Nothing broken so far
The BB i have is heavy enough that i do not add extra weight . . . but I am in no big rush . . . I kind of baby my 1025r most of the time

90% of the time I do not use the rippers as I have too many large roots, 150 year old maples . . . I am leveling above the roots

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 2038r with a 54” EA Box Blade. Wish it was about 12” longer but a 60” would have been better. Had the 54” from my old tractor.

Only issue is when I am angling. It tends to be shorter than my width and makes it harder to work.

72” IMO would be too much for the tractor if pulling a box of dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback, I'm settled on 60 or 66" width and a fixed tailgate. Might add a little weight so it doesn't float over the soil. There are only a few blades for sale locally on Craigslist which is a bit surprising so I can't be too picky. If at all possible I want to avoid buying new and it would be good to find one where parts are available locally. Maybe I'm overthinking that last one because aside from the rippers and the cutting edge I don't think anything is replaceable.

There are a couple Land Pride blades that I'm interested in, anyone have one that can offer their opinion?

·
Registered
152 Posts
As others have said, I would get the heaviest you can find that your tractor can hookup to and operate without being an anchor. I.e. Lookup your 3pt lift capacity and be sure not to exceed it. The box standing outside your tires will be helpful. We have a 5ft Frontier box blade and a 6ft Gannon. They aren't even comparable. The build quality and weight are drastically different. The Gannon weighs about 1100lbs and can do some serious work. You can see it in action in some of our YouTube videos. Obviously that's too big for 2 series, but you get my point. Also, if you have a rear remote(s) then a hydraulic top/side link can be immensely helpful. It will save you a lot of time in your adjustments.

I agree that you should buy used. If you haven't already, checkout Tractorhouse. A link to the box blade section is below. There are a lot of implements for sale there. It should provide better results than Craigslist.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1144/other-equipment-blades-box-scrapers

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
^^^ excellent post........i agree......my BB is a 1000#er but it would be much to heavy for a small tractor....

if you can find it i would buy a light weight BB at least as wide as your tractor .....then add weight as needed.......you can always pull less than a full box full.....and you can always take out some rippers......i never use the backup blade (i use the tractor loader bucket for that kind of work)

as for parts......the rippers are pretty universal.......and the blade on mine i have never had to replace but its bolt on and very heavy duty

just spent a few hours fixing my gravel roads from heavy rain washing ....i keep a BB on a old tractor about all the time this time of year (got a couple of miles of road on the property to keep up)

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
^^^ excellent post........i agree......my BB is a 1000#er but it would be much to heavy for a small tractor....

if you can find it i would buy a light weight BB at least as wide as your tractor .....then add weight as needed.......
I have a Frontier BB5072.

Decent built standard duty box blade.

I have 75# weights that I can add to it for better down force and/or ballast. This picture has one on each side. I have two on each side now.

A good standard duty 60" BB shouldn't be hard to find.

If your going to, or even maybe going to use a Quick Hitch, make sure the box blade is compatible.

BB with weights.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts

I have 75# weights that I can add to it for better down force and/or ballast. This picture has one on each side. I have two on each side now.

If your going to, or even maybe going to use a Quick Hitch, make sure the box blade is compatible.

View attachment 687458
I'm interested in the basket you have mounted on your box blade. Is that a custom job?

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
I'm interested in the basket you have mounted on your box blade. Is that a custom job?
If by custom, you mean homemade, then yes.

I originally built it to go in the top of my 3 point trailer mover. Later I added a receiver to my box blade so the basket could be used on it as well.

Here is a link to the thread where the basket build started.

One word of caution before you follow the link. There might be some "orange" paint in some of the pictures.....

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/14446-3-point-multipurpose-hitch-post166325.html#post166325

I don't have my welders and stuff setup yet (barn doesn't have power) so on my new box blade I bolted on one of KennyD's receivers.

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts

View attachment 687458
Just gave me a idea if it works but a steel tool box bolted to a plate welded on my Quick Hitch for all the pins, wrenches, hammer ect you need once in a while? I like your rack you did a good job on it! My choice is a 6 ft Box Blade on my 4044M I want my rear tire tire tracks covered when I blade.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I found a 5' box blade locally. A neighbor put me in touch with someone who he thought might have one to sell. Not only did I come home with a blade I also got a fertilizer spreader that needs some work and a push mower that needs a carb. In other words for $350 I got a box blade that's in perfect shape and someone else's junk for free.

·
Premium Member
9,813 Posts
In other words for $350 I got a box blade that's in perfect shape and someone else's junk for free.
:lolol:

And it has begun.....

Congrats on the new BB. :good2:

Now, where's the pictures....:munch:

·
Registered
374 Posts
My box blade is the China made one available from the local auto, farm store.
It is the 5' model, rugged to a fault, and half the price I would have to pay for the steel to build one myself. For the jobs it is capable of, to me, function trumps fancy paint or brand name.

The blades are about 2 cm (3/4 inch) below the side panels, so it is a bit too aggressive in many situations for the 2032R. I plan to add adjustable shoes, full length, to the side panels. Shoes with presets for level, 0 blade exposure, and 6mm (1/4 inch) blade exposure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts