Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an X585 with a 54C deck, triple bagger with powerflow. Deck is right on the money level wo powerflow. JD recommends dropping the two right hand deck wheels one notch more than the left side after installing the powerflow. It still cuts deeper on the right. I'm thinking about leveling the deck with the powerflow installed. Gonna be a PIA. Anyone tried it?

·
Premium Member
9,647 Posts
Were the right side deck wheels touching the lawn when you are cutting with the power flow on? Can you drop the wheels another level and keep the deck up closer to where it should be?

It's a shame to undo a perfectly level deck to compensate for the weight of the power flow.....

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Same machine, same deck. Heck even same year. Personally I never bothered with releveling it with the PF vs without. It is kind of a PITA to do and I only ran the collection in the fall so the yard was soon to be covered with snow. I would just raise my Height of Cut a bit to compensate. The PF head for the X Series and 1 & 2 Series as well is mostly plastic so isn't that heavy.

When I move mowing to my Z950R the PF is all steel so much heavier. It is much easier to level the deck on this but I still don't bother for the same reasons. I just go up a bit in HOC and call it a day.

It really is up to you as for how much messing around you want to do. You don't want your anti scalp wheels rolling all the time, they are not designed for that so you will wear them out. So it is best to either raise them a bit, raise your HOC or go through the hassle of leveling it in the fall and then have to undo it in the spring. I also am not trying to maintain a professional baseball field so to me it wasn't that big of a deal. Others are more fussy or maybe you want to always run your collection system then it might be worth the effort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried dropping the wheels more than the JD recommendation, but they cut into the turf when turning.
I only use the x585 to mow in the fall and use the powerflow every time I mow, so I guess it's worth leveling with it on it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
On my X739 with a level 54HC deck I needed to raise the powerflow side of the deck 2 turns of the adjustment screw to get the deck level again with the powerflow installed. Once you find the adjustment amount its no sweat to switch the powerflow on or off. I do check it occasionally and that 2 turns has stayed consistant.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I tried dropping the wheels more than the JD recommendation, but they cut into the turf when turning.
I only use the x585 to mow in the fall and use the powerflow every time I mow, so I guess it's worth leveling with it on it.
Yeah there is your answer. For me the X585 was my do everything machine so I didn't bother. Once I got the Z950R it was retired from mowing and since I got the collection system for that as well, I haven't put the mower on it in at least 4 years.

If you use it for collection only, I would level it as it is worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
On my X739 with a level 54HC deck I needed to raise the powerflow side of the deck 2 turns of the adjustment screw to get the deck level again with the powerflow installed. Once you find the adjustment amount its no sweat to switch the powerflow on or off. I do check it occasionally and that 2 turns has stayed consistant.
Maybe the X739 is different, not sure if you have the auto connect as well. For the X585 you have to basically drop the deck to make adjustments from what I remember then hook it all back up to check your adjustments. You don't have to fully pull it out but it needs to be disconnected from the tractor from what I remember. The process was a bit of a PITA so I didn't bother the Z950R is pretty easy to adjust. Just loosen the pinch nuts and go around with a wrench tweaking the linkages. I still don't bother though personally. No right answer. If you raise your HOC a bit it all works out in the end. I like to leave it a little longer anyhow for the winter then first cut isn't until it has grown for a bit and the ground dries out enough. One pass in the spring and you will never know it was cut in the fall with wonky deck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL
I use a walk behind Scag in the summer. Need the exercise.
I mow it short in the fall so the leaves blow into my neighbors yards.
The shorter I mow it, the more I notice it's not level.

Reactions: sennister

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just experienced this with my x595. 62” Deck was dead level but while using the powerflow it would dip enough to notch the cut. So I attempted to level it with PF on which is much harder than it should be. Took me forever and now when I mow with out bagging it’s screwed up. I think in hindsight I should have left it the way it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I just experienced this with my x595. 62” Deck was dead level but while using the powerflow it would dip enough to notch the cut. So I attempted to level it with PF on which is much harder than it should be. Took me forever and now when I mow with out bagging it’s screwed up. I think in hindsight I should have left it the way it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I would imagine the 62 would be a little worse.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
LOL
I use a walk behind Scag in the summer. Need the exercise.
I mow it short in the fall so the leaves blow into my neighbors yards.
The shorter I mow it, the more I notice it's not level.
We have our property fenced so that doesn't help to cut it short. Though last fall I was doing the last of the leaf harvest and I blew the drive belt on my PF for the Z. I didn't have a spare (I do now) and the dealer was closed for the weekend. I wanted to just get done so it was basically just a chute blocker for me. I was shocked at how much it ate up the leaves. A couple passes and everything was gone. I was running Gator G6 blades. If it weren't for the compost pile that I like running, I would just mulch in place. The Z is a better deck though than the 54C that I have for the X.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have always leveled my deck with the powerflo installed. I can't get it dialed in so you can see any variance even when cutting opposing edges. If the wheels aren’t properly set you’ll always struggle with hills, side bank runs in particular.

I couldn’t follow jds instruction with success because of access to the blades. First thing I did was flip my deck over and measured the blades gap between the bottom of the deck using a long straight edge and six points I marked with a sharpie. I then leveled the deck per instructions measuring from 6 points I created and adjust for height-variance. It’s a once a year service and normally it is perfect from the previous leveling with occasional minor adjustments. The wheels are a pain but not if you have a completely level surface. I use thin cardboard (not amazon but the 1/8 stuff) under the wheel, release the lock, and lift until clicked if not already. I’ll try and take a picture if the cut today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have our property fenced so that doesn't help to cut it short. Though last fall I was doing the last of the leaf harvest and I blew the drive belt on my PF for the Z. I didn't have a spare (I do now) and the dealer was closed for the weekend. I wanted to just get done so it was basically just a chute blocker for me. I was shocked at how much it ate up the leaves. A couple passes and everything was gone. I was running Gator G6 blades. If it weren't for the compost pile that I like running, I would just mulch in place. The Z is a better deck though than the 54C that I have for the X.
I've had G6 Gators on the 54C for three years. they look like they're brand new today. It's nice not having to sharpen them. Best thing for leaves. I make the best loam out of compost and sand every year.

Reactions: glc

·
Registered
485 Posts
I keep the Power Flow on my X590 48A all the time. So it is level with the unit installed.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Here is another solution, it just needs a couple wire ties.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts