Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done the searches and checked out a lot of the threads on this subject, read the suggestions (including the "don't bother - it can't be done" ones) and I notice that none that I have found ever came to a conclusion. I need to get it done because mowing is a trial every week. So I'm going to make the effort and document it as I go along. It will be in fits and starts since I have a lot of irons in the fire, but I'll show the results as I go along.

The plan: I have a disc harrow, a landscape rake, and a roller, and between the three of them and Gertrude I'll get 'er done. I'll have to experiment with the harrow to see how best to break up the lawn and whether to rake or roll it as a finishing touch. I'm tempted to simply drag the harrow behind me when mowing, but I think it's probably better to practice a bit in the back (out of sight from the street) first.

First installment: here's Gertrude with her new toy. First lesson: front ballast will be a must.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

·
Registered
797 Posts
The best way to break up a lawn is a tiller, period (or maybe a harley rake). Will take a lot of laps with the disc, and still won't be ground to sand like the tiller does in one pass. Can you rent one? Just did a chunk of my lawn for my wife to install a garden. 6" deep powder with grass blades mixed in for fertilizer in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is off topic but unless it is intentional, your front tires tread pattern is running backwards. Probably need to swap front tires from left to right. Just an observation. Look at the rear for a reference. It helps push mud out of the tread in the forward direction.

Dave

Reactions: Yellow seat

·
Registered
383 Posts
I paid a local guy $400 last April to hit my backyard with a Harley rake. It turned out perfectly smooth however I should’ve waited til the fall as spent I spent a ton of money and time to get it to grow and establish in the summer heat. I would deal with it until October if you can. I actually seeded mine again this spring, about 6 weeks ago with annual rye to fill and thicken it. I’ll hit it hard with y’all fescue this fall.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
A second thought, or Plane B! Look at all the area you want to "level". It may (??) be possible to just hit the high areas with your disk...or a tiller... and the rake the loosened soil into the low areas. This should be easier/quicker than doing the entire area with a disk, tiller, or whatever! Bob

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The current plan is to work a small area near the back of the property where I know it needs help. I'll probably do two or three areas with different kinds of passes to see what levels best. Once I figure that out, I'll only do the worst areas on the property. There is no need to do the whole thing. I don't plan to do any seeding until the fall - I started using the Scotts annual plan on the front four acres and have my best lawn ever this year. Fortunately I have the quick hitch so switching back and forth between implements will be relatively easy. Lots of rain today and vacation coming up this week so likely no progress on this until later in the month.

The tires - they came that way from the dealer, and I'm much too lazy to do anything about it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Clumps of grass will be the battle. After you cut it and attempt to rake the grass clumps will just pile up in the rake. You likely won't make any progress in leveling until you get it to bare dirt.

Reactions: drynoc

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
heed the tiller/harley rake suggestion...........let us know how this works out for you........you might have some success with loads of black dirt and a box blade also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.