Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to lift the maximum weight using the above combination. What I'm lifting are 12 trees with root balls. Root balls are encased in wire mesh with nylon straps attached as lifts. They are sitting on the deck of a flat bed trailer.

Using pallet forks I can't lift them off of the flat bed trailer deck. Close, but not quite enough oomph. With the bucket and bolt on hooks I can't lift them either. My thought is that if I could use the loader frame alone to lift, I might manage them. Not having the bucket would add over 100# to the lifting capacity. Not using the pallet forks would add around 200#. The frame alone of the pallet fork weighs about the same as the Deere 48 inch bucket.

Can I use the loader alone (no bucket, no fork frame)with a sling to lift?

This isn't my tree, but this will give you an idea of the size. My roots are still wrapped in burlap and wire, and the trees are still dormant.

TreePlantingFlyingSaucer014.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I would think so just have ballast on the back and ease. Them to the ground. Good luck

have you thought just use your sling over your quick attach top mounts. Why use fork frame??? I see people using rollers on the quick attach frame to store the H120 without anything on front.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
If the loader frame has a cross bar behind the bucket that is strong enough you could put a hook on center. I would not put it off center as it could twist the frame or cause a tipping situation. On my bobcat I welded a hook on the center frame for pulling posts, not for the extra lift as much for ease of doing it. Moving it back though will give you more lifting power but a recessed grill if the swings a lot.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You would gain extra lift power without the bucket and fork frame on. You would then be relying on the cross tube by itself to lift with and then not bend without the extra cross support you used to have before you took them off. As heavy as the trees are I would try to find a neighbor with a bigger tractor, rent a off-road forklift if you have a equipment rental place close or make a small mess and take some dirt off the bulbs so you can lift them with straps and the bucket or slide them into the bucket and secure them to the frame so they don't fall out. I would rather do that then take a chance of bending or twisting my loader frame. That's just my 2 cents at 4:27 in the morning. Good luck! Let's us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
You would gain extra lift power without the bucket and fork frame on. You would then be relying on the cross tube by itself to lift with and then not bend without the extra cross support you used to have before you took them off. As heavy as the trees are I would try to find a neighbor with a bigger tractor, rent a off-road forklift if you have a equipment rental place close or make a small mess and take some dirt off the bulbs so you can lift them with straps and the bucket or slide them into the bucket and secure them to the frame so they don't fall out. I would rather do that then take a chance of bending or twisting my loader frame. That's just my 2 cents at 4:27 in the morning. Good luck! Let's us know how you make out.
You make a lot of sense. You don't want to spring the loader frame. I would try and figure something out. :good2::good2:

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
What about just removing the forks, and attaching the straps to the frame? If it's the Artillian frame there is even slots in the end for chains or straps with rings.

I personally do not think it's a great idea to use the loader with nothing attached, the frame of the implement is what keeps the two dump/curl cylinders in time and adds rigidity to the system IMHO.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Would a 3pt attachment, such as a boom pole, work for you? The 3pt hitch does have a higher load capacity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
"Using pallet forks I can't lift them off of the flat bed trailer deck. Close, but not quite enough oomph.
This isn't my tree, but this will give you an idea of the size. My roots are still wrapped in burlap and wire, and the trees are still dormant..."

Using the shovel handle for scale, I suspect that you might have a mechanical issue-perhaps a need for hydraulic pressure adjustment. My 1025R FILB routinely picks up Heritage Birch to load larger rootballs with 4 or 5 18 foot high stalks using Artillian Forks, and then I unload them to plant at grade in 5 foot diameter holes that are three feet deep. There is some groaning and whining and front tire squishing, and a need for a feather touch on the SCV to lower them from a truck bed, but my tractor handles them OK. I would not ever attempt to use the H120 frame without a bucket or a fork frame. It will twist for sure.

Ken Richmond

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would like to lift the maximum weight using the above combination. What I'm lifting are 12 trees with root balls. Root balls are encased in wire mesh with nylon straps attached as lifts. They are sitting on the deck of a flat bed trailer.

Using pallet forks I can't lift them off of the flat bed trailer deck. Close, but not quite enough oomph. With the bucket and bolt on hooks I can't lift them either. My thought is that if I could use the loader frame alone to lift, I might manage them. Not having the bucket would add over 100# to the lifting capacity. Not using the pallet forks would add around 200#. The frame alone of the pallet fork weighs about the same as the Deere 48 inch bucket.

Can I use the loader alone (no bucket, no fork frame)with a sling to lift?

This isn't my tree, but this will give you an idea of the size. My roots are still wrapped in burlap and wire, and the trees are still dormant.

[iurl="http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=350306&d=1492659612"]
[/iurl]
Don't do it doc. That skinny rod just behind the bucket bends like a toothpick my machine just got serviced for that. Artillian makes a lighter fork frame than the Deere/frontier one which means more lifting power for you. Also Kenny of Grab hooks fame sells the hydraulic gauges that plug into the hydraulic quick coupler - make sure you're producing enough pressure 2000 plus psi I believe. It can be adjusted up if it's not meeting that benchmark.

And just remember to keep that lever arm working to your advantage by keeping load as close to you as possible - sometimes the forks of it loads too far out for the machine to lift properly

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about just removing the forks, and attaching the straps to the frame? If it's the Artillian frame there is even slots in the end for chains or straps with rings.

I personally do not think it's a great idea to use the loader with nothing attached, the frame of the implement is what keeps the two dump/curl cylinders in time and adds rigidity to the system IMHO.
My pallet fork frame and my bucket weigh almost the same, so I wouldn't gain any lifting ability with the frame sans forks vs the bucket.

This morning, a guy with a big tractor doing some work for my neighbor unloaded them for me. Paid him $50 and he placed each tree next to its planting spot.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Would a 3pt attachment, such as a boom pole, work for you? The 3pt hitch does have a higher load capacity.
Yes, but the available lift force decreases as the distance between the attachment and the lifting points of the boom increases. Plus you've created a nice lever to lift the front of the tractor off the ground.

I was in Germany last year at a meeting in a hotel/conference center. It was also a working farm. From the balcony in my room I watched the ground crew use the FEL on a pretty big tractor - similar in size to a 5R - to move a large concrete planter in the parking lot that was filled with dirt. The planter was being placed at the edge of the pavement on top of a retaining wall that was one story high next to stairs and the lowest floor entryway.

The back wheels of the tractor were 2' off the ground so the ballast was increased by 2 of the guys standing on the ballast box. I was 100% sure I was going to see planter, tractor and crew fall 10' into the abyss. Unfortunately I was disappointed....:laugh:

Al

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes, but the available lift force decreases as the distance between the attachment and the lifting points of the boom increases. Plus you've created a nice lever to lift the front of the tractor off the ground.

I was in Germany last year at a meeting in a hotel/conference center. It was also a working farm. From the balcony in my room I watched the ground crew use the FEL on a pretty big tractor - similar in size to a 5R - to move a large concrete planter in the parking lot that was filled with dirt. The planter was being placed at the edge of the pavement on top of a retaining wall that was one story high next to stairs and the lowest floor entryway.

The back wheels of the tractor were 2' off the ground so the ballast was increased by 2 of the guys standing on the ballast box. I was 100% sure I was going to see planter, tractor and crew fall 10' into the abyss. Unfortunately I was disappointed....:laugh:

Al

You are correct in your post, I should have made my comment about the boom pole not being a store bought one, but a shorter homemade custom built one. I have built one about 27 yrs ago in a similar situation and it out lifted the front end loader. I am glad to hear a neighbor was close by to help him out for only $50. That was a much better and cheaper outcome instead of building something, damaging equipment or someone getting hurt. That was good catch about the boom pole!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I dont see why not. The Artillian forks and frame Weighs over 200 lbs, and my loader bucket weighs 165 lbs(49in bucket). You might try just taking the fork tines off the frame, that'll knock off 120 lbs, since the Artillian frame only weighs 73 or 91 lbs, (depending on which one you have). If that doesnt work, then take off the fork frame. Also, the Dump/curl can actually lift a few hundred lbs more than the boom lift. Tests on youtube have shown that the boom has about 1100 lbs of lifting force while the dump/curl has around 1400 lbs of lifting force. This test was with the bucket on, so removeing it will give you that much more capaicty. Good luck

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the standard 48 inch bucket, which JD says weighs 112 pounds.

I have Titan forks with no backrest, just a plain frame. The frame alone weighs 118 pounds. That's actual weight according to my game scale.

The Artillian frame is advertised at 73 pounds, but I had never heard of them when I bought the Titans.
Bottom line is I could sling lift 35 more pounds if I had an Artillian frame than with my JD bucket, if the geometry of the lifts were equal.

I paid $459 including tax and shipping for the Titan forks a year ago. Today, the equivalent size Artillian forks on line today are $1,179 (including tax and shipping) I know the Artillians are laser cut from special steel alloy, professionally engineered, hand finished, and powder coated, but that's a huge price difference. Almost enough to buy Titan forks plus the Frontier seeder I bought last month.

Anyway, as I posted earlier, I paid a guy with a big orange tractor who was working on the next farm $50 to unload and place the trees. So I'm happy. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I kinda did the same math,i am buying the artillian with 36 inch forks.the 49 inch weighs 168lbs,this info is from freight ticket,using gross and tare.the real answer is what does the 54 weight,is the 516 lbs based on a 49 or 54,best guess would be 54

·
Registered
590 Posts

I have Titan forks with no backrest, just a plain frame. The frame alone weighs 118 pounds. That's actual weight according to my game scale.

The Artillian frame is advertised at 73 pounds, but I had never heard of them when I bought the Titans.
Bottom line is I could sling lift 35 more pounds if I had an Artillian frame than with my JD bucket, if the geometry of the lifts were equal.

I paid $459 including tax and shipping for the Titan forks a year ago. Today, the equivalent size Artillian forks on line today are $1,179 (including tax and shipping) I know the Artillians are laser cut from special steel alloy, professionally engineered, hand finished, and powder coated, but that's a huge price difference. Almost enough to buy Titan forks plus the Frontier seeder I bought last month.

Anyway, as I posted earlier, I paid a guy with a big orange tractor who was working on the next farm $50 to unload and place the trees. So I'm happy. :thumbup1gif:

I think you made a wise choice with your $$. I have also purchase the Titan pallet forks and have no complaints at all. They are serving me well for the past 1.5yrs. Your $50 investment was very lucky as I think most guys with tractors will do the work for very reasonable $ or even free at times. I know I would, I grew up on tractors, enjoy running them and will continue helping anyone in need of them for free. I do it for the joy and love of helping other people out. I know what it is like having a butthead for a neighbor with a big tractor, loader, small excavator, skid steer and will not help a neighbor out on small tasks for a reasonable fee. His charge to me was going to be a minimum $100 and $100hr after that, for just running a box blade to fill in a few low spots in my yard and he only lives 300 yds away from me. That is when I started to buy my own equipment, at least I will have it for my lifetime.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

Anyway, as I posted earlier, I paid a guy with a big orange tractor who was working on the next farm $50 to unload and place the trees. So I'm happy. 1gif:
The key here was because it was a bigger tractor, not because it was orange

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The key here was because it was a bigger tractor, not because it was orange

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Maybe I should have been more PC and said "big ass tractor.":oops:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Titan forks are just too heavy, I have the 42" Artilian which weighs 212 lbs, the titans are 300 lbs, and these small tractors cant lift that much to begin with. If you have a big tractor, that can lift alot, then you can probably get away with cheaper heavier forks, but if you have a smaller tractor, you need to eliminate as much dead weight as possible, even it costs more. Forks that are too heavy are useless if your small tractor cant lift anything with them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts