Green Tractor Talk banner

Lifting Quarry Stones?

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Yank 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a special project.

I have a bunch of really heavy quarry stones around a barn that I need to move. Here is a picture of what they look like (these aren't the ones around the barn, but similar):

Wall Stone wall Rock Bedrock Limestone

I am trying to find the most efficient and safest way to move these rocks. I have a JD 2025R tractor with a loader and forks.

I was originally thinking of using the forks, but worried that they might fall off the forks once I started moving them around. Also, I may not be able to get my forks in underneath them.

Currently, someone else told me to use tongs (like these?). I guess I could order Ken's Bolt on Hooks and dangle the tongs from above with my loader.

Anyone done something like this? I really have no idea what I'm doing lol.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
are they on pallets?? If not use your forks and a ratchet strap to tie them to the forks. Be careful looks like a lot of work.

#4 ·
I have a half dozen tractors,, and a few loaders,,
and, I have "harvested" probably close to 70 tons of that kind of rock from my wooded land.

The absolute best way to pick up, and position those stones?
a backhoe, with a thumb,,,

The half dozen large stones were moved with the forks on my loader
all the stones that are larger than a football were moved with the backhoe/thumb,,,

#6 ·
Grapple is my first choice but I don't know why forks and a ratchet strap wouldn't work as previously metioned - assuming the weight is within your loader limits.

#7 ·
How far do you have to move them?
Will you have a helper or working solo?
Do you have to stack them in a pile or are you making a wall of some sort?

#13 ·
:think: the way i'm thinking the OP is tearing a barn wall down-maybe-:dunno:he said around 3 blocks high-so i'm thinking he wants to pick the rocks off a wall.

don't know for sure-but for that a set tongs would work good-IMO:dunno: hobby farmer-let us know what ur thinking of doing-and is this a barn wall ur tearing down???

Reactions: mark02tj
#8 ·
Guessing no bucket for fel.. so if only forks, do you have a 4x4 piece of plywood, osb board. either way try making a base with 2x4" or what ever on hand making sure they are fastened and won't fall off when tilling fel, then lay and fasten the osb-plywood to the 2x4s .May have to load and unload a few stones but easier than carrying them by hand. :dunno:

#9 · (Edited)
Guessing no bucket for fel.. so if only forks, do you have a 4x4 piece of plywood, osb board. either way try making a base with 2x4" or what ever on hand making sure they are fastened and won't fall off when tilling fel, then lay and fasten the osb-plywood to the 2x4s .May have to load and unload a few stones but easier than carrying them by hand. :dunno:
Pretty sure the OP said FEL with bucket and forks for options...:dunno:

...I have a JD 2025R tractor with a loader and forks. ...
!

#11 ·
Don't forget the ballast on the back for a task like that. :hide:

#12 ·
Hi everyone. I have a special project.

I have a bunch of really heavy quarry stones around a barn that I need to move. Here is a picture of what they look like (these aren't the ones around the barn, but similar):

View attachment 575305

I am trying to find the most efficient and safest way to move these rocks. I have a JD 2025R tractor with a loader and forks.

I was originally thinking of using the forks, but worried that they might fall off the forks once I started moving them around. Also, I may not be able to get my forks in underneath them.

Currently, someone else told me to use tongs (like these?). I guess I could order Ken's Bolt on Hooks and dangle the tongs from above with my loader.

Anyone done something like this? I really have no idea what I'm doing lol.

Thanks in advance!
However you do the job...be careful and use plenty of ballast. Even with a similar slab on my carry-all, the rear end felt light.

I made a set of these to move some sidewalk slabs that I estimate weighed in around 800# - 1,100#.

Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery Chain

Vehicle Asphalt Concrete

#14 ·
I am the rock master. I have rock everywhere. Big ones get the forks with straps, small ones get the bucket. Some rocks just won’t want to go into the bucket, I keep a 7 foot pry bar in the ballast box for those guys. Drop the bucket right beside them, leverage them in. There is no clean and neat way to mess with rock. They are all shaped different and not weighted equally. Forks or bucket, just gettem on there however you can. Watch your fingers. I’ve lost a couple fingernails clearing my land this last two years.:banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.