• 12 Foot

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let me know what length strap/sling you would most likely purchase/use for your arsenal of rigging hardware.

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
Hmmm... I have to think on this for a bit. To many competing thoughts in my head at the moment to settle on one.

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I have to think on this for a bit. To many competing thoughts in my head at the moment to settle on one.
You can select more than one option in this poll ;)

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
We use slings on the job daily. I prefer the Round Endless Slings, because it can be used on a variety of rigging jobs.
Remember to use a "softener"(padding) on corners and sharp edges to prevent damage or failure to the sling.
Failure of a sling while lifting, can not only cause damage to property, it can also cause personal injury, or death.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
I voted 6'. I currently have 2 endless slings that I use a lot - both are 6'. I would likely start out with 2 6' standard slings and see how that goes. I could use 2 if I needed a 6' reach or 1 for a 3' reach.

I copied this image from blue67fj60's earlier post to help define what I am talking about. The first 2 hitches with a 6' sling would give me a 6' reach - the second two hitches a 3' reach. I can't see myself ever needing anything more than a 6' reach.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would think that preferred strap length would vary by job, since there's no easy way to adjust them. So, IMHO, a variety would be required unless you have a repetitive task you're performing. I clicked all choices. As for the chains I currently use, I have varying lengths that I have marked to take the guesswork out of wondering which length I'm grabbing out of the trailer toolbox.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Guess this means that there will be yet another item at KBOGH's in the near future. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Belize_Speed_Bump_Sign.JPG

I need more than 23 voters please! :nunu:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I predict a new product or product line from Ken in the works here.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I hope so. I looked at some slings at Tractor Supply yesterday but held off to see what comes about here.

How about a "5/16 Ring" with Four web straps that can hook to a Generator's four corners for lifting? I'm on the market now for something.... ANYTHING!!! It would be a niche market and a compliment to the Ken's Bolt on hooks ensemble currently available as an option. I have seen this arraignment at construction sites but, only made of Wire Cable. :munch:

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
How about a "5/16 Ring" with Four web straps that can hook to a Generator's four corners for lifting? I'm on the market now for something.... ANYTHING!!! It would be a niche market and a compliment to the Ken's Bolt on hooks ensemble currently available as an option. I have seen this arraignment at construction sites but, only made of Wire Cable. :munch:
HouseMouse ; I think what ur referring to is called (picker chains) we used them on at the coal co. to lift and change motors in dozers, any equipment. yes, kennyd could probably sell them pre-made up just for these purposes :laugh: Big Jim

·
Registered
967 Posts
HouseMouse ; I think what ur referring to is called (picker chains) we used them on at the coal co. to lift and change motors in dozers, any equipment. yes, kennyd could probably sell them pre-made up just for these purposes :laugh: Big Jim
Quad Leg, Bridle assembly. Although this is made of straps rather than chain. I haven't checked it out fully as of yet. Something along these lines should do fine in my arena.

Web Slings | Best Nylon Web Slings | Web Slings Safety

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great ideas guys, please keep them (and the votes) coming.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I don't own any yet, but I chose 4 and 6 foot slings. I could only imagine using the 6 foot for lifting things like logs/stumps with a choker hitch, and those usually don't exceed 1-1/2 feet diameter. That would use about 4-1/2 feet going around and 1-1/2 feet to attach to the FEL or BH bucket. The 4 foot would be great for straight pick-ups, as my FEL only goes up about 7 feet (I think). For anything larger, I have a couple of 15 foot chains.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
HM,
Get yourself 4 one inch straps, maybe like 4' long max.
Hook all of them to a shackle on one end. You may need a another shackle to hook to that shackle to hook to your lifting point. Plus a couple shackles hooked together gives you a little rotation.
On the tag ends just choke each one to a corner of your gen and use shackles to complete the choke.
You can never have too many shackles brother.:laugh:

We use 2 and 4 way bridles all the time on the job. Handy.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
HM,
Get yourself 4 one inch straps, maybe like 4' long max.
Hook all of them to a shackle on one end. You may need a another shackle to hook to that shackle to hook to your lifting point. Plus a couple shackles hooked together gives you a little rotation.
On the tag ends just choke each one to a corner of your gen and use shackles to complete the choke.
You can never have too many shackles brother.:laugh:

We use 2 and 4 way bridles all the time on the job. Handy.

I'm going for it.... Just ordered the straps for this project. :munch:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts