Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I readily admit that I am a rookie using a SCUT. While I did have a 748 for 8 years, the 1025r is a very different machine with a lot more capability. I have had my 1025r for about 2 months and have learned a lot. I also believe I'm smart enough to take my time and gain experience before I complete more advanced work. I have used the fel several times moving dirt and want to have lift hooks installed soon. (Probably bolt on)

So I have some questions. 2 hooks or 3?

For example, when lifting, would I use each end hook as a chain hook and lift from the middle of the chain?

Or from the center hook.

Looking for some experienced comments regarding this issue.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have 3 hooks on my loaders. Left, right & center.
I depends on what I am lifting as to which hooks I use.

If I am pulling a post or small bush, I use just the center hook. For a larger bush, I may use the two outside hooks with it pulling in the center of the bucket. If I am lifting something long like a log. I will use a chain on each outside hook & go straight down to what I am lifting.

What ever you lift, you want the load balanced with the center of the loader & tractor.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I only have two hooks (installed right at the points where the bucket connects to the loader arms) and haven't had any issues with that setup yet. Some people prefer a 3rd hook in the center of the bucket and I might consider that but I'd only use it for lighter loads. My concern there would be bending the bucket itself with a heavier load. The bucket is stronger at the edges than it is in the center.

When lifting, I always use both hooks. If nothing else it spreads the load and keeps things more even so the loader arms aren't being twisted.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
One hook at each end and a pad eye/1/2" shackle in the center is my setup. (I leave the shackle in the eye all the time.)...

Bucket Hooks 001.jpg

I like to center all the lifting I do either by 2 chains or, on a lighter lift, single chain from an end hook through the shackle.

Also, if you do any lifting/transporting alone, consider attaching "tag lines" from each end of the load to the tractor via a couple light ropes. This controls "swaying" and excessive forward/backward swinging. That grill guard is a great tag line tie up point!

WATCH OUT WITH HANGING LOADS ON CROSS SLOPING GROUND! TRACTOR CAN PIVOT/TIP ON CENTER OF FRONT AXLE!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts