Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since i have owned the tractor I either have it setup with the mower only , the front end loader w / mower attached or loader/mower/backhoe. today i needed to clean an area around my pond so i decided to remove the mower and attach the backhoe and FEL. When i was done uses the backhoe and i went to move the machine ( was on the street side of my pond) the machine kept pushing instead of turning. the road on the one side is slightly pitched, but not that much. Has anyone else ran into this situation? is the backhoe really that much heavier than the FEL? this is the first time i have ran into this situation. If this has been talked about before i apologize, i tried using the search feature and found nothing... could be user error!? haha

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Someone else may chime in knowing what you are describing but short of that I think we would be better able to help if you have a better description of exactly what you mean by “pushing instead or turning “. I for one just can’t figure out what that means or might look like and therefore can’t help :dunno:

What were you trying to do?
Did you have the brake off?
What gear range did you select?
Were you trying to go forward or backward?
What was the throttle position?
Were the tires turned? How much? Did you try to straighten them?
What was the surface you were on?
You mentioned a slope, what direction, how much?
What end of the tractor was on the downslope?
Was the surface Wet/dry/covered in leaves?
Have you checked your tire pressure?

·
Premium Member
13,417 Posts
Did you have MFWD engaged, that will cause the front end to push sometimes.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ran into similar problem moving leaves yesterday. Had carrier on 3PT with cement blocks for ballast and found front end was a little light on slippery wet leaves. Went real slow when the front end didn't want to make the turns. Removed half of cement blocks and was allright

·
Premium Member
12,282 Posts
Ran into similar problem moving leaves yesterday. Had carrier on 3PT with cement blocks for ballast and found front end was a little light on slippery wet leaves. Went real slow when the front end didn't want to make the turns. Removed half of cement blocks and was allright
Were you "moving" leaves or "mowing" leaves? (spell checker sometimes does weird things)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Were you "moving" leaves or "mowing" leaves? (spell checker sometimes does weird things)
:laugh:Moving leaves to mulchpile. Had to move them away from portable garage where they had fallen

·
Registered
375 Posts
So since i have owned the tractor I either have it setup with the mower only , the front end loader w / mower attached or loader/mower/backhoe. today i needed to clean an area around my pond so i decided to remove the mower and attach the backhoe and FEL. When i was done uses the backhoe and i went to move the machine ( was on the street side of my pond) the machine kept pushing instead of turning. the road on the one side is slightly pitched, but not that much. Has anyone else ran into this situation? is the backhoe really that much heavier than the FEL? this is the first time i have ran into this situation. If this has been talked about before i apologize, i tried using the search feature and found nothing... could be user error!? haha
I have the same setup and the backhoe is perfect ballast for the front end loader, neither too heavy or too light. It's my preferred ballast when I'm doing loader work.

Two things already mentioned previously can cause the front end to keep wanting to go straight even though you are turning: the rear differential is locked (both rear wheels are locked together using the foot peg on the left side), or the MFWD (mechanical front wheel drive) is engaged (lever just to the right of the seat).

I think you had the tractor in MFWD when you experienced the issue. While MFWD does add traction by powering the front tires, it has a limitation where it can only turn both front tires at the same speed. When you are driving in a straight line you won't have any issues as all four tires are driving at the same speed and the tractor will "feel" normal. However, during a turn the inner front wheel needs to spin slower and the outer front wheel needs to spin faster. Since MFWD can only drive the front tires at the same speed, the inner wheel is actually going too fast for the turn (and will slip) and the outer wheel is going to slow for the turn (and will slip). So in a left turn, the left (inner) tire is going too fast for the turn and will push/drive the tractor back to the right while the right (outer) tire is going too slow for the left turn and will drag/pull the tractor back to the right. The net effect is the tractor wants to keep going straight and won't make as tight of a turn due to the necessary wheel slippage.

It is all well and good when you are on a surface that allows for the tires to slip during a turn. Snow, sand, dirt, and even wet grass doesn't present a problem when using MFWD. But, if you drive the tractor on a high traction surface like a road, you can actually damage the machine because the tires won't be able to slip during a turn. Instead of slipping the tires as normal, the tractor will start to resist your turn and the tires will start jumping and hopping to relieve the binding tension created by the high traction. Worse case scenario is something is going to break on the machine so NEVER use MFWD on a high traction surface like a road.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
...is the backhoe really that much heavier than the FEL?
No.

Well, yes it is heavier - but it is also closer to the rear axle than the FEL. Regardless, there is still plenty of weight on the front wheels. Do not take weight off the back to try to solve your problem, that will make your tractor much less stable.

Most likely your diff lock is engaged or you are using 4wd on a paved surface. Maybe even both.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't doing anything with the machine at that point ... i was done using the backhoe and i was driving it back to my garage. The diff lock was not engaged nor was the 4WD... that was the first thing i checked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts