Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tons of options out there for pallet forks for the 120R FEL but who makes the lightest set? I want to maximize my lifting capacity, so every pound off the equipment will help.

Obviously quality is a must too, but is there anything else I should be looking at? I noticed the Titan had a mount for a trailer receiver, that would be a nice bonus.

I was going to order through my local dealer, but if there is a much better option else where, I'll go with the better product.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Artillian are most likely the lightest and superior quality and design. https://artillian.com/JDQA_PalletForkSets.htm

I also understand Titan imports a set of forks where they copied the Artillian design, so they now have a US made, lighter set, although they are heavier than the Artillian and I seriously question their advertised 4500 lb. capacity. Price is the selling point with Titan. https://www.palletforks.com/tractor-attachments-952/john-deere-attachments/pallet-fork-attachments-for-john-deere/uajdfrldrec-2-fb36x125.html

Frontier (John Deere) are quality although they are extremely heavy. https://www.deere.com/en/attachments-accessories-and-implements/utility-tractors-attachments-accessories/loader-attachments/ap12-pallet-fork/

Fork length is also a consideration. You will see varying opinions on how long a fork should be on a 1 Series. I have 36" on my Artillian forks and feel they are the perfect length. Some feel the 42" length are the perfect length. All I will say is, the longer the forks are, the more likely you are to get them caught in something out front and you can pick any pallet up with 36" forks.

If you buy through your dealer, you will be restricted to what your dealer offers. Most likely you will get Frontier at a dealer as they are sold through JD dealers. Artillian and Titan are sold on the internet. They do not have a dealer network. Now that doesn't mean you dealer will not get you an Artillian or Titan set of forks, they may just add a percentage to the price for their handling.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Artillian are most likely the lightest and superior quality and design. https://artillian.com/JDQA_PalletForkSets.htm

I also understand Titan imports a set of forks where they copied the Artillian design, so they now have a US made, lighter set, although they are heavier than the Artillian and I seriously question their advertised 4500 lb. capacity. Price is the selling point with Titan. https://www.palletforks.com/tractor-attachments-952/john-deere-attachments/pallet-fork-attachments-for-john-deere/uajdfrldrec-2-fb36x125.html

Frontier (John Deere) are quality although they are extremely heavy. https://www.deere.com/en/attachments-accessories-and-implements/utility-tractors-attachments-accessories/loader-attachments/ap12-pallet-fork/

Fork length is also a consideration. You will see varying opinions on how long a fork should be on a 1 Series. I have 36" on my Artillian forks and feel they are the perfect length. Some feel the 42" length are the perfect length. All I will say is, the longer the forks are, the more likely you are to get them caught in something out front and you can pick any pallet up with 36" forks.

If you buy through your dealer, you will be restricted to what your dealer offers. Most likely you will get Frontier at a dealer as they are sold through JD dealers. Artillian and Titan are sold on the internet. They do not have a dealer network. Now that doesn't mean you dealer will not get you an Artillian or Titan set of forks, they may just add a percentage to the price for their handling.

Great summary Ray

I’ll add that I am positive that Artillian offers 3” lightweight tines in 36/42” whereas I *think* most others are full 4” wide tines. That alone saves 20-30# per fork tine easily making the set VERY lightweight.

Which Frontier set were you referring to, isn’t there a new lighter weight set out with heir new grapple and 4-1 bucket that’s designed for the 1-2 series?

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Great summary Ray

I’ll add that I am positive that Artillian offers 3” lightweight tines in 36/42” whereas I *think* most others are full 4” wide tines. That alone saves 20-30# per fork tine easily making the set VERY lightweight.

Which Frontier set were you referring to, isn’t there a new lighter weight set out with heir new grapple and 4-1 bucket that’s designed for the 1-2 series?
Yes, the Artillian set for the 1 series has 3" wide tines, their larger fork set up has 4" wide tines which are for larger tractors.

The Frontier is the AP12. It is possible Frontier has a lighter set now!!

Bottom line, on a 1 series, you want light weight and a frame and forks strong enough to handle what a 1 Series can lift. 4" wide tines are much too large for a 1 series.

·
Premium Member
12,937 Posts
Yes, the Artillian set for the 1 series has 3" wide tines, their larger fork set up has 4" wide tines which are for larger tractors.

The Frontier is the AP12. It is possible Frontier has a lighter set now!!

Bottom line, on a 1 series, you want light weight and a frame and forks strong enough to handle what a 1 Series can lift. 4" wide tines are much too large for a 1 series.
AP10 with 42" and backrest are the lightest now. I doubt their quality is any less than Artillian now, however, they only have 1250# lifting capacity. That is fine for a 1 series, but what if someone upgrades to a 2 or 3 series, then they would be questionable IMO.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I bought the Chinese import Titans (from Amazon) because of price and because of the 2” receiver hitch. If cost had been no object and I used forks a lot, the Artillian with the receiver hitch would have been my choice. But given my anticipated low-level needs and the fact that the Artillian would have cost TWICE as much, I opted for the Titans. I looked at a variety of forks and the Titans were really a LOT cheaper than any of the others, so I went that way.

I think that the lightest pallet fork attachment I saw was the HLA. Only a 900 lb capacity, but that exceeds the lift capability of the JD subcompact tractors. HLA Attachments - 900 LB Cap. - Light Duty Pallet Fork

One thing to consider regarding buying items like this online that are heavy enough that they have to be shipped....it is NOT like UPS or FedEx. Those drivers do not want to drive their 18 wheeler down your residential street and unload the thing in your driveway. They want YOU to pick it up at a terminal, or failing that, someplace with a loading dock. Titan uses a company called Saia. Titan ships immediately, and Saia provides track and they appear to be a competent trucking company. But if you don’t live in a place where they have a terminal, they’re going to contract out the actual transfer to your home or pickup point. I had significant shipping delays because the transfer agent just couldn’t get around to delivering in a timely fashion. They talked me into delivering to a loading dock at work, but the driver kept coming up with delays. For two days. When he finally did get to the loading dock, it was full....so he just drove on with a “promise” to try again the following Monday. Saia tells me this is common in the trucking industry. I don’t know if it is or not but IMHO the whole truck shipping concept for the online consumer is one reason to be looking to see what your dealer has on the lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great replies guys! I should add that this will being going on a 2025R. I should also add that at some point down the road, I'd like to get a grapple. I mean, who doesn't!?! Lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like the modular options of the Artillian. I have forks and the quick hitch snow plow setup. Grapple is on my list too. The 3pt quick hitch adapter is probably next to use use a landscape rake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Thanks for the great replies guys! I should add that this will being going on a 2025R. I should also add that at some point down the road, I'd like to get a grapple. I mean, who doesn't!?! Lol.

Of that’s the case then the Artillian frame and fork route is your only option-if you want to have the frame for mounting the grapple.

Your 2 series is also a poor choice for the Uber light HLA set and is marginal for the AP10-the Artillian has great margin in capacity with light weight and the modularity for the grapple.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
AP10 with 42" and backrest are the lightest now. I doubt their quality is any less than Artillian now, however, they only have 1250# lifting capacity. That is fine for a 1 series, but what if someone upgrades to a 2 or 3 series, then they would be questionable IMO.
Yep, looks like the AP10 is light although they have floating forks which are locked in place with a set screw. That said, they are the lightest but don't know if I would like having to loosen and tighten a set-screw to move and secure the forks.
I'm an Artillian fan!!!! :laugh:
https://www.deere.com/en/attachments-accessories-and-implements/utility-tractors-attachments-accessories/loader-attachments/ap10-pallet-forks/

·
Premium Member
12,937 Posts
Yep, looks like the AP10 is light although they have floating forks which are locked in place with a set screw. That said, they are the lightest but don't know if I would like having to loosen and tighten a set-screw to move and secure the forks.
I'm an Artillian fan!!!! :laugh:
https://www.deere.com/en/attachments-accessories-and-implements/utility-tractors-attachments-accessories/loader-attachments/ap10-pallet-forks/
Maybe I'm missing something, or this picture is very misleading. I know that they make a floating set as well, but the ones I linked are not floating forks. I tip my hat to Artillian for the modular system that they offer, I'm not a fan of taking things apart and putting things together when I want to use them. I will one day have a grapple, but it will be a grapple.

Frontier AP10F Pallet Forks for John deere

·
Administrator
17,576 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, or this picture is very misleading. I know that they make a floating set as well, but the ones I linked are not floating forks. I tip my hat to Artillian for the modular system that they offer, I'm not a fan of taking things apart and putting things together when I want to use them. I will one day have a grapple, but it will be a grapple.

I think there are two versions, fixed and floating.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts

Yep, that is interesting!! Mutton shows an AP10F which has fixed forks, but if you look on the JD site, they show just the AP10 which has floating forks, but it you look deeper, you can find the AP10F listed and in the caption they say the picture does not depict the actual fork assembly.

So, frontier does make a fixed fork, light assembly for a 1 series. This may be a good option for buyers wanting to buy forks from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
12,937 Posts
Yep, that is interesting!! Mutton shows an AP10F which has fixed forks, but if you look on the JD site, they show just the AP10 which has floating forks, but it you look deeper, you can find the AP10F listed and in the caption they say the picture does not depict the actual fork assembly.

So, frontier does make a fixed fork, light assembly for a 1 series. This may be a good option for buyers wanting to buy forks from the dealer.
I caught that too, is that what the F stands for?

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I caught that too, is that what the F stands for?
I believe so. I know the "F" on the AP12 meant fixed forks when I bought my 1025R back in 2013. Back then, they didn't have the AP10 or AP10F and I didn't want the heavy AP12F fork assembly as they just kill the lifting capacity of a 1 series, so I went with Artillian which are nice.

·
Premium Member
8,475 Posts

:good2:

Grapples are Great!

One thing to keep in mind with the Artillian frame. They make two versions, one without the receiver which is the lightest and has a capacity of 2,300# and one with the receiver that has a capacity of 3,000#.

I have the Artillian frame with the receiver, forks (4" x 42") and the grapple (two rake beds, one grapple section in the middle).

I've only used the receiver a couple times.

I occasionally use the forks.

I use the grapple most of the time. It is the most used implement on the FEL.

If I were in a position where I used the forks more often, then a dedicated set of forks and a dedicated grapple would be a better setup.

I bolted the rake beds and the grapple section together. There are three holes that you can use to do this. Chris told me it wasn't required but I am an over-achiever.

The plus side to this is I can just slide the frame out of the grapple and put it back on the FEL and put the forks on. I don't have to remove three pieces from the frame individually.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I use the AP10’s on my 2038R. Never had a problem, and I’ve lifted all my tractor can handle with them. Tractor loader on lifts 1136, forks are rated for 1250, and I’m sure that’s conservative for law suit reasons.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So little bit of an update....

Dealer just called me as he is doing up his quote. I asked for him to quote the ap10f.

He called me because he was shocked at how expensive they are. He normally sells the HLA

Ap10f = $1300
HLA = $750

both of those are with 36" forks and prices are in CAD.

I have HEAVILY considered the Artillian but price + exchange rate + shipping is very prohibitive. I'll probably still end up going that route later down the road when I have a spare cash for their grapple. At that time I'll assess how the light duty HLA's are holding up. I have faith in the light duty forks since I have a lot of years as a forklift op under my belt.

·
Premium Member
12,937 Posts
So little bit of an update....

Dealer just called me as he is doing up his quote. I asked for him to quote the ap10f.

He called me because he was shocked at how expensive they are. He normally sells the HLA

Ap10f = $1300
HLA = $750
Are prices across the border really that much different? I'm honestly asking because I can buy a set of AP10's w/42" tines at my dealer today for a little under $700.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts