Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Green Tractor Fans
Looking for suggestions for a lightweight trailer for transporting my new X758 with a 54" deck.
Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I brought my 455 with 54" deck home on a 5x8 single axle trailer. It fit with an inch to spare with the deck discharge chute held up. Length wise it fit but didn't have much room to move it for weight distribution. I would go with a 6x10 trailer. If you want to keep it light a metal mesh floor will cut down on the weight.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you want really lightweight you could get one of the folding trailers in a box. Some assembly required but in the end they can be found rated for up to 1800 lbs. pretty reasonably priced too at around $350.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I brought my 455 with 54" deck home on a 5x8 single axle trailer. It fit with an inch to spare with the deck discharge chute held up. Length wise it fit but didn't have much room to move it for weight distribution. I would go with a 6x10 trailer. If you want to keep it light a metal mesh floor will cut down on the weight.
I just bought a used 6'X10' open trailer for towing my2014 X540 with a 54" deck. It weighs about 900 pounds. With my 700 pound tractor I will be under the 2,000 tow limit of my '01 Wrangler. I'll let you know how it works. I'm picking it up Monday after they install the hitch.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I used the heck out of one of these before I bought a pickup. Used 3/4" treated plywood for a floor, wouldn't hesitate one bit for 1500 or so pounds at highway speeds.

1720 lb. Capacity 48 in. x 96 in. Super Duty Folding Trailer

Jim

This thing isn't wide enough to work with a 54" deck. It will definitely hit the fenders. You spent good money on a quality tractor. Get a good trailer & tie downs.
I see this all the time. Guys will spend $30K on a motorcycle then use Xmas ribbon to tie it down. Had a guy that would not maintain his $25K bike that he drove every day. What chance did his trailer have? None, it rolled in Yellowstone with 2 bikes on it.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Think about if you have any other use for the trailer. I borrowed a friends a few times and realized I need a bigger one. I bought a 14x7 landscape trailer. Now that got to be too small and I bought a 5 ton car hauler 20 foot long. Now I'm looking at a deckover. I've got a trailer problem.:laugh:

Seriously, give it some thought and buy once. Here many of the used trailer are almost as much as new. Most of the used ones I've seen here are close to junk.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
I'd probably look at Tractor Supply.

Reactions: kjmk

·
Premium Member
14,875 Posts
Think about if you have any other use for the trailer. I borrowed a friends a few times and realized I need a bigger one. I bought a 14x7 landscape trailer. Now that got to be too small and I bought a 5 ton car hauler 20 foot long. Now I'm looking at a deckover. I've got a trailer problem.:laugh:

Seriously, give it some thought and buy once. Here many of the used trailer are almost as much as new. Most of the used ones I've seen here are close to junk.

Hate to say this you bought a 7w x 14L not a 14w x 7L trailer..

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
37 Posts

That happened to me as well. After the tractor barely fit on my 5x8 I picked up a PJ 18ft 5ton car hauler to use for the tractor and hauling the Jeep to the trails. If you go this route I highly recommend getting stake pockets and a rubrail. I built 2ft tall wooden sides that sit in the stake pockets allowing me to load 7 cubic yards of mulch. You really can't have too much trailer unless you don't have a place to park it or a vehicle large enough to tow it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Also gotta take into consideration what the tow rig is. I used to pull the little 4x8 with a Jeep TJ and my dads 54" 318 fit on it just fine, just have to raise the deck up.

Definitely agree on quality tie downs but that little trailer is tough.

I didn't have anyplace to store a rigid trailer either so the fold up part solved that.

Now with the Jeep sickness and the Deeres I currently have I use a 3/4 ton Cummins with Midsota 22' tilt bed 16k gooseneck. But I also have a place to park it. ;)

Jim

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
Also gotta take into consideration what the tow rig is.
:thumbup1gif:I also think tow vehicle plays a roll in trailer width. I like to be able to see a trailer using the vehicle side mirrors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have given some thought to a Featherweight Trailer which also could hold a motorcycle or two.
Thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My new (to me) 6'X10' trailer worked out good. Have plenty of room on either side of my 54" deck. Don't have to worry about scraping it if I'm not totally center. Length wise I have room for the tractor and push mower. However I'm not going to win any races towing it with my Wrangler.

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1 on the Featherlite trailers. I bought one in 1997 and still use it all the time. All aluminum except for the axle assembly. 6' X 10' with a ramp on the back which is built to be driven on. It's light enough that I can move it around the yard by hand. No maintenance with painting or rotten wood. Just replaced the tires on it recently, after 19 yards, just to be on the safe side.
Mike Hawkins

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
+1 on the Featherlite trailers. I bought one in 1997 and still use it all the time. All aluminum except for the axle assembly. 6' X 10' with a ramp on the back which is built to be driven on. It's light enough that I can move it around the yard by hand. No maintenance with painting or rotten wood. Just replaced the tires on it recently, after 19 yards, just to be on the safe side.
Mike Hawkins
Any issues with an aluminum bed being slippery or things staying put?
Any pictures?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Mike Hawkins
Would have loved to find an aluminum trailer when I was looking. They had a nice new 6'X12' with wood sides. Too bad it was out of my price range.

Reactions: Firehawkmph

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any issues with an aluminum bed being slippery or things staying put?
Any pictures?
The floor is made up of aluminum pieces about the size of a 2 X 6, but open on the bottom. They run side to side, and each one has little ribs that stick up about 1/2" apart. It can be slippery if you don't tie things down properly, using good quality tie downs. It's not really slippery to walk on.
Mike Hawkins

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts