Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This info is spread out all over the web, but I thought it would be helpful to put it all in one place, and perhaps it will become a sticky.

So I have a1026R. I am looking for a box blade and a land rake, and in order to get what will work best for me I've gone around and around trying to find the REAL differences between cat 1 and limited cat 1. Surprisingly, many tractor sales people don't know the difference. I just had a Deere salesman yesterday tell me that lower link spacing is smaller on Cat1 limited. NOT TRUE! The only difference is a matter of height due to the smaller wheels on some SCUTS.

This is what John Deere says:
"The limited Category 1, 3-point hitch is standard for quick hookup of 3-point hitch implements. Industry-standard link and connecting point specifications for Category 1 hitches are met, allowing implements to easily connect to the tractor. However, the low profile of the 1023E and 1026R may prevent the hitch from lifting some implements to the minimum height prescribed by the Category 1 standard. Thus, the word limited is added to the description."

These are the standard dimensions.

Category - Hitch pin size - - - - - Hitch pin size - - - - - Lower hitch - - - - -Tractor drawbar power
- - - - - - - - upper link - - - - - - - lower links- - - - - - - spacing

0 - - - - - - - 17 mm (5⁄8") - - - - - 17 mm (5⁄8") - - - - - 500 mm (20") - - - -<15 kW (<20 hp)
1 - - - - - - - 19 mm (3⁄4") - - - - - 22.4 mm (7⁄8") - - - - 718 mm (26") - - - -15-35 kW (20-45 hp)
2 - - - - - - - 25.5 mm (1") - - - - - 28.7 mm (1 1⁄8") - - - 870 mm (32") - - - -30-75 kW (40-100 hp)
3 - - - - - - - 31.75 mm (1 1⁄4") - - 37.4 mm (1 7⁄16")- - -1010 mm (38") - - -60-168 kW (80-225 hp)
4 - - - - - - - 45mm (1 3⁄4") - - - - 51 mm (2") - - - - - - 1220 mm (46") - - -135-300 kW (180-400 hp)

I measured my own 1026R and find that with the iMatch attached it was almost 28" wide at my lower control arms, and there is plenty of flexibility to narrow that.

1026R specs

Rear Type - - - - - - - - - Limited Cat I
Control - - - - - - - - - - position control
Rear lift (at ends) - - - - - 1,433 lbs [650 kg]
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm) - 681 lbs [308 kg]

Some helpful links:
iMatch - https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5998_fb_Hitches_Quick.htm#_Economy_quick_coupler
JS Sales Manual - 3-point hitch

If anyone has other info, let's add it to this thread.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is great information, thank you!

I see that TSC for example, has a narrower lower link width for what they call SCUT attachements vs. standard Cat 1 attachments. The TSC (County Line brand) SCUT attachments have a narrower lower link mounting width than the standard Cat 1 width. What is the reason for this? Are they really marketing what they call a SCUT attachment as Cat 0 attachment? I'm assuming that the Cat 0 with it 20" lower link width is really what they consider to be a SCUT when it's really a lawn/garden tractor with a 3pt hitch?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you've hit the nail on the head, their SCUT sizes are actually CAT 0.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Being totally 3pt hitch challenged, maybe someone can clue me in on the lift capacity:

1026R specs

"Rear lift at ends" What "ends"?
"Rear lift at 24"? 24" from what? That's about half of the "ends" lift capacity.

I find it interesting that my 1026r came with every piece of paper pertaining to every attachment/accessory/"kit", etc., but NOTHING regarding assembling the 3pt. other than the obvious places to lube. Some "country boys" ain't never hitched up a 3pt hitch! Fifth wheels, pintles and balls aplenty, but never a 3pt. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Being totally 3pt hitch challenged, maybe someone can clue me in on the lift capacity:

1026R specs

"Rear lift at ends" What "ends"?
"Rear lift at 24"? 24" from what? That's about half of the "ends" lift capacity.

I find it interesting that my 1026r came with every piece of paper pertaining to every attachment/accessory/"kit", etc., but NOTHING regarding assembling the 3pt. other than the obvious places to lube. Some "country boys" ain't never hitched up a 3pt hitch! Fifth wheels, pintles and balls aplenty, but never a 3pt. :laugh:
The "ends" are the lower link arms. The reason that the lift specs are often quoted at 24 inches beyond the link arms is that the CG of the rear implement is always further back than the link arms. So, lift capacity 24 inches back gives you a better picture of the weight of an actual implement that you can pick up.

It's the same reason that loader lift is often rated 18 inches beyond the piviot point....that's about where the CG of a loaded bucket MIGHT be.

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Like Arlen wrote, the "ends" are the rotating balls at the end of the lift arms.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone know what the "minimum" height is by the Category 1 standard? I am curious on what the difference is between the standard and what how high the 1 series can lift. I don't have much experience in this but the only place I would think this could matter would be an auger, which I am looking at getting one to dig the footers for my deck. Do I need to be worried about this?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Does anyone know what the "minimum" height is by the Category 1 standard? I am curious on what the difference is between the standard and what how high the 1 series can lift. I don't have much experience in this but the only place I would think this could matter would be an auger, which I am looking at getting one to dig the footers for my deck. Do I need to be worried about this?
A post hole digger/auger for a SCUT will have a longer boom so the lift height doesn't really make a difference in this application.

Reactions: FavFour

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
As far as I know, the only things that the Cat 1 standard dictates is the diameter of the pins and the spread of the lower lift arms....It's a pretty loose standard.

Reactions: RobbWFM

·
584 Posts
Great info. Correct on the height issue. The biggesg implement I see problems with are post augers. I am running some great end of the year sales on frontier equipment. Pm for a quote.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a question about cat 1 hitch dimensions...... I understand the 26" width, and pin sizes..... But.....

Specifically standard cat 1 and the distance from the 7/8" pins up to the 3/4" top link pin......
For instance the vertical distance on my King Kutter rear blade is 17"....... My carry all is 15"...... My only two purchased implements..... Post hole digger doesn't count as it doesn't use a "top link"......

The distance on my tractor where the 3pt arms attach to the tractor is 15" off the ground and the top link attachment point is 30" off the ground....

Is there a "standard" number for this vertical distance on a cat 1 implement..... ????

I have been using 15" as the standard when I build my home made implements....

Anyone know of published dimensions for this ????

Thanks

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Anyone know of published dimensions for this ????

Thanks
There is, its in ASAE S217. The one good link I had for it seems not to be working now however, sorry. But, IIRC the 15" number your quoted is correct.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Found it.......
Did a Google of ASAE S217, and it is in table 4, "mast height" Turns out cat 1 mast height is 18" average, with a give or take for "special implements"

And 15" is the preferred cat 1 distance for shorter requirements.....

Thanks for the directions to this info.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cat 0 Tiller hook up to a Cat. 1 (limited) JD 1025R?

First, thanks for the amazing information contained in the above posts. It's like a SCUT Wikepedia article. AMAZING Guys!

I have a 42" tiller that I inherited along with a JD 445 tractor and a 60" MMM and a 54" Quick Attach Front Blade. I never tried the tiller since it seemed too heavy for the tractor w/o any front weights. I now assume the previous owner used the tiller while the front blade was attached for ballast, good idea on his part.

Now I'm nearly ready to purchase a JD 1025R, 60" MMM Drive Over Auto Connect (I've got a dozen ruptured discs in my back so crawling under to install the PTO is not an option for me anymore), 54" Quick Attach Front Blade and a H120 FEL. I want to use the tiller with the FEL as ballast and the increased power from the new tractor but how exactly does one go about modifying or hooking up a Cat. 0 to a Cat. 1 system? I'm open to any ideas. Also, would an Imatch hookup help in any way?

Reactions: Yank

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
First, thanks for the amazing information contained in the above posts. It's like a SCUT Wikepedia article. AMAZING Guys!

I have a 42" tiller that I inherited along with a JD 445 tractor and a 60" MMM and a 54" Quick Attach Front Blade. I never tried the tiller since it seemed too heavy for the tractor w/o any front weights. I now assume the previous owner used the tiller while the front blade was attached for ballast, good idea on his part.

Now I'm nearly ready to purchase a JD 1025R, 60" MMM Drive Over Auto Connect (I've got a dozen ruptured discs in my back so crawling under to install the PTO is not an option for me anymore), 54" Quick Attach Front Blade and a H120 FEL. I want to use the tiller with the FEL as ballast and the increased power from the new tractor but how exactly does one go about modifying or hooking up a Cat. 0 to a Cat. 1 system? I'm open to any ideas. Also, would an Imatch hookup help in any way?
Basically the difference in Cat 0 and Cat 1 is the pin sizes and the spread between the arms. Maybe this will help.

3-point_info.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why are the 0 and 3 "B" heights not listed?

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I don't think any of these measurements are set in stone, depending on who builds it. The only constant seems to be the pin size.

I've had quite a bit of Cat 0 stuff in past years and I don't recall ever seeing a spec for the height, and I had pieces that varied all over the place.

Here is another chart I've collected, some of the measurements in it do not even agree with the first one.

3-point_hitch_specs.jpg

YMMV :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Cat 1 implements on 1025 work fine

Have used three different Cat 1 implements on my 1025 and they all worked fine. Had no problems with lift height. They were not Cat 1 limited implements, they were all pure Cat 1.

Reactions: joshn3448

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 more cents on Limited Cat 1 3pt hitch

I'm new to Green Tractor Talk (Hello!) and new to 3 pt hitches whereas I just traded my '89 JD318 (A sad day, in a way. 1521hrs. I couldn't justify the cost of a rebuild/repower plus a new mower deck... and messing with thrown drive belts and broken drive chains had weighed it's toll. Especially in winter with the 48" Berco blower until I rebuilt the worn idler pulley arm. Nothing was more frustrating than kneeing in freezing slush every 10 minutes until I figured out what the issue was. I DID love that little tractor though.) for a '11 JDX728 (152hrs) w/ 47" Quick-hitch Snowblower, 54" MMM, and 3pt hitch. There was little information on the 3pt hitch, so I've been researching it.
Tractor Data listed the optional 3pt hitches for the X728 as Cat 0 and Limited Cat 1. (I'll say mine is the Limited Cat 1)
Measuring dimensions off this hitch, the 'top link' connections are 5/8" and 'lift links' for the Lift arms take 5/8" pins. The 'lift arm' ends accept 7/8" (to 28" width) attachments but need adapting to the 'limited' size top link. Craziness, but it is what it is.
I bought a Cat 1 Tow hitch drawbar attachment (to modify to also carry bolt-on ballast) and modified the top link holes for the 5/8" pin but I think I'll get a Cat 1 (3/4") top link and 'bushing' the 5/8" tractor pin to 3/4" rather than mess with unnecessary modification of 3/4" pin holes on potential future accessories. The tractor is certainly capable engaging a Cat 1 PTO tiller and other Cat 1 rear mount accessories of appropriate size.
My take on the 'Limited' Cat 1 hitch is that the lift arms accept 7/8" attachment pins BUT the top link is 5/8" on the tractor end calling for a Cat 0 top link. (Std. Cat 1 being 7/8" lift pins and 3/4" top link.) Odd that they do that, but with cautionary attention to safely adapting for implements as manufactured can be overcome with a 5/8"-3/4" bushing and Cat 1 top link, being diligent of the tractor's capacities and abilities.

Be kind with alternative views on these modifications/adaptions where we all know safety should be foremost in our minds always. 5/8" pins would be 3/4" pins if they were meant to be, but bushings are made for reasons too, if we're careful when we use them. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts