Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've about had my fill of $79- 2-cyl trimmers and am about take the leap to a "Red-Max" TR2350. It's a couple hundred 'Duckets' more than the big box store's offerings, and more of a commercial grade. Straight solid drive shaft, and a good reputation. I find myself doing a 'windshield' survey on every landscaper that I pass. Seems to be a lot of them out there. Any opinons, or suggestions? I'm intrested in, lite-weight, 2-cyl, , good starting, and string feed dependability. TIA ~S

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've about had my fill of $79- 2-cyl trimmers and am about take the leap to a "Red-Max" TR2350. It's a couple hundred 'Duckets' more than the big box store's offerings, and more of a commercial grade. Straight solid drive shaft, and a good reputation. I find myself doing a 'windshield' survey on every landscaper that I pass. Seems to be a lot of them out there. Any opinons, or suggestions? I'm intrested in, lite-weight, 2-cyl, , good starting, and string feed dependability. TIA ~S
Just bought a new Husqvarna 128RJ, and the first thing I fell in love with is how the twine loads, real sweet!!

Good luck.

Will

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
I have a Stihl trimmer, backpack blower, and chain saw. I have never regretted paying extra money for quality stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I have gone the next step and totally eliminated string trimming. With careful landscaping and RoundUp no messy, noisy, and laborsome weed whacking. :tongue:

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
I also have Husqvarna trimmer and chain saw. No problem loading string. The best part is that they always start with no problem. The best two-cycle equipment that I have ever used.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I have two stihls, an FS-90 and an FS-130. The FS-90 is perfect for a yard and has tons of power. The FS-130 has more power and is harder to start.

Both are 4-mix. Don't get a 2 stroke. The torque of the 4 stroke is sweet!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nineteen years ago I bought a new John Deere 25S string trimmer. This model actually was made by Echo, and is similar to their model SRM-260 (although mine has a solid shaft). I added the handlebar and double strap harness options. Between the pond, trees, fence, drive, etc., it takes four to five hours to trim everything so it gets very heavy usage. This trimmer has never failed me, and has only received regular maintenance such as filters and lube. I could not ask for a more reliable machine.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I'm primarily an Echo guy, and currently have a CS-3400 and 600P chainsaws. Echo is tough gear, with the best warranty in the business, 5 yrs. for the homeowner, 2 yrs. commercial. I do however, have a Husky combo brushcutter/string trimmer that I'm pretty happy with.

Nineteen years ago I bought a new John Deere 25S string trimmer. This model actually was made by Echo, and is similar to their model SRM-260 (although mine has a solid shaft). I added the handlebar and double strap harness options. Between the pond, trees, fence, drive, etc., it takes four to five hours to trim everything so it gets very heavy usage. This trimmer has never failed me, and has only received regular maintenance such as filters and lube. I could not ask for a more reliable machine.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all! I'll revisit Stihl, Husky, and see. I see the advantage of the 4-strokes, but the weight has me 'wondering'! At 25% more weight .............and having to carry my own 'bod', (I'd send ya pic, but havn't got elected to a NY Congress seat yet!) :laugh: Seems like I gotta 'slap' this on one of my 'lads'! ~S

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the Stihl Kombie system. What I like about it is now I'm not limited as much in what I can use that motor for. It's a lot cheaper to buy a new attachement for a different purpose than it is to buy the motor with it each time. Plus it's easier to transport when you can take it apart in the middle. I have a string trimmer attachement, a pole pruning attachment along with an extension pole, a grass blade attachement for heavier trimming, and they also make several other attachements for it. You can check it out at www.stihlusa.com. To find pricing use their locate dealer section and you can go to an authorized dealer website that lists pricing. I have the KM90 motor and it has done all the jobs I've asked it to do very well.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Got a $250 or so Deere (re-branded Echo) in 1992, it's still going strong. It is a straight shaft, not bent. I pretty much think that any 2 cycle machine under the $250 price point will disappoint, be it a line trimmer, hedge trimmer or chain saw.

When my 19 year old stuff dies, I'll go with the Stihl Combie system. I did have to replace the carborator on my hedge trimmer this year. But $70 was cheaper that the Combie system initial buy-in. Might buy in this fall because I want the "chainsaw on a stick" device to trim trees around the edges of the fields. Don't want to scratch the cab...:laugh:.

Pete

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I've been using Stihl products for, over 30 years. Been a silver certified technician for 5 years. All machines have their weak points, but Stihl is pretty reliable.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
I have a Deere split-boom trimmer that generally behaves and works well. Like another poster stated, it's nice to be able to put different attachments on the thing and only have to deal with one motor.

I have a two trimming heads, one with a circular saw style blade, and the other with brush-cutter style blades. I also have the blower and tiller attachments. The tiller works better than I expected, especially in our claycrete.

This year was the first time it gave me problems starting. I finally determined it was stale gas in spite of Stabil being used, and flooding.

Personally I can't stand trimmers as they beat me up; but spend the money on a good quality unit as it will be less tiring to use. I had a Ryobi before I bought the Deere. The Ryobi was absolute crap and I threw it out after 1.5 seasons. The Deere was twice the cost and less than 1/4 the frustration of the Ryobi.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Line Trimmers, morfed into Chain Saw........

Just another thread close-out.....Well, I bought the Red-Max, and it's everything I wanted!! I really appreciate the input even though I went with my original 'pick'! We'll see.
So, as the saga continues, get out to the property, 'weed-wack' with joy. My son comes out, and we wanted to salvage some pine 'blow-downs'! Get out the [Trusty(?) Craftsman(Poulan)] 18" saw. Runs like a watch........ For half an hour! Then 'done'. Seems like it starves for fuel. Let it rest and cool down, fires and runs for another half hour! I get frustrated, and go to TSC. Buy a 16" Husky 445, bring it home, and it cuts wood like it's butter'! Now, of course, with the 'new kid on the block' the Craftsman fires back up! We salvaged 7- 10', 1- 16', and 3- 12' pine logs straight as can be! All blow downs, and all 16"-18" or better in dia. Hope you all had a good, safe, productive weekend. Can't wait 'til next weekend! Our summer seasons are too short!! Join in with your weekend 'diary'! Oh yeah to keep this JD oriented, the JD 4200 did all the 'skidding':laugh:
Best Regards! ~Scotty

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Log Skidding with the 4200.....

How about some pix of the 4200 skidding logs?
I'll try MJN. It wasn't anything 'pretty'! We brushed out to where we could reach them. But the chain kept needing to be continually longer! We might have been at 50' at one point! We've got some cell phone pix, but I don't know how to get them to the computer in .jpg's! Just trying to get the logs out to trails, and staged for further movement! I just might seal the ends with preservitive. and let them lay for a year. We'll see. I've really got my focus on this barn project. Think I cleared the last hurdle with the Building inspector tonight and should have my permit in hand. I really need to build/buy a log arch! No 'Sawyer' likes 'dirty' logs! Raises heck with blades. The Amish, and probably most others, like to 'skid' on the snow-pack for ease, and clean stuff! But that said, I just couldn't see a 50-60' pine blow-downs, just lay to 'rot'. I'll tell you what though, my son and I gained a whole new respect for loggers, Amish, or otherwise! That's tough work!!!~Scotty

·
Registered
37 Posts
20 years ago I purchased a Homelite gas weedwacker at a box store. Probably the cheapest one they had. I used it for 5 years and then it sat in my shed for 10 years with the gas in it. 5 years ago, I dumped the gas and filled it with fresh fuel. It has been working great for the last 5 years.
So two years ago I buy a Homelite gas blower.... Never worked right from day one. Got mad at it last month and threw it in the woods. I picked up an electric one at a yard sale for 5 bucks and it's doing great.
Like anything else, there are lemons and there are diehards. I think it is the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've spent the past few weeks studying forums and checking with dealers for the Kombi system. I finally bit the bullet last week and went crazy with all of the attachments I might need in maintaining my property.

After using this system for the past five days...I am simply impressed with these Stihl products. The weight concern became a non-issue for me after the first day of string and scythe use. My old trimmer was too short for my 6'5" frame and back problems would bring me to a halt quickly.
With this new Kombi system, I don't have the same issues. The dealer I purchased from actually encouraged me to buy the 130 engine...it's weight being just ounces heavier than the smaller choices. I don't regret this at all so far.
I suspect that this system might be a bit of a problem with a commercial service...as you would be relying on others to take proper care of the changing of attachments..with possible wear and tear. I think since I'm the lone user, I will be able to take care in tightening the split shafts carefully...and in proper insertion. That concern should be a non-issue.

This motor is quiet, smooth powerful and so easy to start.
Gary

·
Registered
42 Posts
A few years ago I decided to clear out brush and small trees that had begun to overtake much of the shoreline around my pond. I bought a new JD EH2659 extended reach hedge trimmer, and along with heavy loppers was able to clear much of it. However I still had a lot of multitrunked stumps to cut back. It would have been dangerous/difficult to get to them with a chain saw, so I tried the metal blade for my old JD 25S string trimmer. While that had worked previously on lighter stuff, these stumps were large enough that kickback became too much to handle. So I bought a Shindaiwa Tornado Blade for the 25S. This is a great invention. Rather than typical saw blade teeth, it uses chain saw teeth. There is no kickback and you can approach the stump from any direction. Just go at the stump and just watch the sawdust fly. A tool I highly recommend. I bought it at my JD dealer.

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Shindaiwa/Shindaiwa-BrushCutter-Blades.asp

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts