Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or heard of a product or modification for a linear actuator or hydraulics that allows you to angle the blade.?? I saw a mod on YouTube, but with no details.

I would prefer hydraulics, however, a 1 ton actuator would do the job. I have ideas for doing this and it shouldn't be hard, but why reinvent the wheel if it's available already.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. Similar to what I was going to do. My changes will be to use a much higher rated actuator. The static load is only one aspect when choosing the actuator. Applied force is to me much more critical. I'm thinking I want an actuator capable of 1 ton force, 4000lbs static load. I'll also use brackets vs. single bolts, quick disconnect water proof electrical connections, water proof switches and 20 amp fuse. I also push dirt so the additional expense of the actuator will be worth it in the long run. Another point would be quick disconnect of the actuator so that in the event of a total failure I could go back to manual in minutes.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
The blades originally could be purchased with the hydro angling cylinder. Both cylinders were the same. It was just an additional bracket and cylinder. Buy the parts and you'd be running in about 15 minutes. All the frames were stamped for it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thank you very much. Similar to what I was going to do. My changes will be to use a much higher rated actuator. The static load is only one aspect when choosing the actuator. Applied force is to me much more critical. I'm thinking I want an actuator capable of 1 ton force, 4000lbs static load. I'll also use brackets vs. single bolts, quick disconnect water proof electrical connections, water proof switches and 20 amp fuse. I also push dirt so the additional expense of the actuator will be worth it in the long run. Another point would be quick disconnect of the actuator so that in the event of a total failure I could go back to manual in minutes.
I did it on a gx345. It works good but remember 3 things;

1. Get your wallet warmed up. I paid $250 for a Warren (top shelf) 6 inch used actuator that normally carries a price just south of 5 franks that doesn't have the numbers you are looking for.

2. Electric actuators don't have the speed and grace of fluid power so don't set the bar too high.

3. You are working in a very limited area as far as space to mount an actuator is concerned. Squeezing that thing on the front of the blade without interference wasn't easy, doable, but tight.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The blades originally could be purchased with the hydro angling cylinder. Both cylinders were the same. It was just an additional bracket and cylinder. Buy the parts and you'd be running in about 15 minutes. All the frames were stamped for it.
This ^ if you have the hydraulic style. Much cheaper and more efficient. The x5 series came with both mechanical and hydraulic depending on model.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the responses. Unfortunately the X580 hydraulics are a bit limiting and restrict using them for more than front. mid, and rear lift. Unless someone knows of a kit for adding additional functionality. That being said I would think that would strain the K72 pump and I don't want that.

I wish Deere would come out with an add on pump, similar to what they use for the 30 hydraulic tiller.

So it's going to be an electrical actuator. I'll make some measurements and look for the best choice, then ask for comments.

Fozsey,

I want to thank you and your family for their service to this country.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts