Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bored so I thought I'd share a funny story today.

I had a few hours and it's raining again so I decided to fill the tires with Rim Guard. Ordinarily I remove the tire, break the bead, dump in the rim guard and inflate the tire. Easy peasy.

I didn't feel like wrestling with these tires so I decided I'd deflate the tire, set the tractor down on the ground (to squish the tires) the jack it back up and draw the rim guard through the valve stem. The tire immediately fell off the bead on one side. "Well I guess I'm doing this the usual way". I pop the tire off the tractor, lay it on it's side and the other bead comes off. I'm thinking impure thoughts now.

I burned an hour using a combination of ether and a big friggin strap to get the tire back on the rim. Not a drop of Rim Guard made it into either tire. I bowed my head and moved onto other things I could screw up.

I'll try again Monday or Tuesday but this time I'll pump it into the tire.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The local tire shop sell the rim guard and install it for you. I did not know you could just buy Rim Guard by its self.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The local tire shop sell the rim guard and install it for you. I did not know you could just buy Rim Guard by its self.
They do offer installation but it goes against my principles to pay someone something I can do myself. On top of that I don't want to shuttle tires back and forth and wait a couple days for them to do this.

I keep a barrel of Rim Guard next to the garage for occasions like these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your pain! I just posted about this in the maintenance forum. Took me a while to come up with the solution but long story short a big compressor, ratchet strap and a hodgepodge of different fittings and adapters got me there. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
They do offer installation but it goes against my principles to pay someone something I can do myself. On top of that I don't want to shuttle tires back and forth and wait a couple days for them to do this.

I keep a barrel of Rim Guard next to the garage for occasions like these.
Yeah that is the challenge with taking them in. It is kind of like the what came first the chicken or the egg unless you have two machines or take the entire tractor in.

You take the wheels off the tractor to take them in to get them filled. You go to get the tires out of the vehicle/trailer but you now need a FEL. But the FEL is on the tractor and the tractor doesn't have any wheels because they are in the vehicle/trailer... :think:

We get so used to using a FEL that when you can't you have to stop and think about how you got along without one...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So today was a rain out and I was determined to finish this project, which I did but it was another soup sandwich along the way.

Here's the trick; leave about 5psi in the tire to keep it mounted to the rim and use a pump to fill the tire.

I used 3/8" line and a hose clamp to hold it to the valve stem. I poured 20 gallons into a barrel and pumped it into the tire. When I could hear the pump sucking air I knew I was done.

Once you unplug the pump the pressure within the tire will push foam and air back through the pump. To stop this I used a spray nozzle I had on hand, worked great. Be sure to rotate the valve stem to 12 o'clock.

It took about 5 minutes to pump the fluid into the tire, I was amazed how fast and how well it worked once I understood that some air pressure was needed to keep these tires mounted to the rim. Learn from my mistakes.

There will be some spillage, Rim Guard is smelly stuff that will stain.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
Phillijp--can i ask what u keep rim-guard on hand for? are u a seller of it? u are the first i have heard of that as a private person has any.

good job on ur tires:good2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phillijp--can i ask what u keep rim-guard on hand for? are u a seller of it? u are the first i have heard of that as a private person has any.

good job on ur tires:good2:
Until recently I was a tractor hoarder of sorts. Buy them run down, fix them and sell them hopefully for a profit. It was a hobby that made money so my wife was ok with it. I also serviced tractors for friends and family also to make a little money doing something I enjoyed. There is a Rim Guard dealer about 20 minutes away and at the time I was hoarding enough tractors to justify keeping 40 or gallons on hand. I've since moved on to other things but I had a surplus of rim guard sitting next to the garage. Until I came across this tractor the only trouble I had filling tractor tires was breaking the bead. It was always faster to do that, dump the ballast then re-inflate the tire. Kind of scares me to think of the headache 2038 owners would face if they develop a leak out in the field.

I probably won't purchase any more in the near future though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts