Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a big old tree removed because it started dropping limbs on my house. They used a stump grinder, but didn't do a great job and they left a lot of roots that made the ground uneven and difficult to mow. I decided to see what the 1025R and 260B backhoe could do. Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of easily accessing the stump from all sides. There as also nothing left above ground to push or pull on. Hope you guys enjoy this little video.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Nice work! :bigthumb:
Took me a full 8 hours for a double stump that was about that same size a few weeks ago. Finally got it out as the sun was going down. Same predicament, could only get at from one side. Just kept working it

·
Registered
929 Posts
Nice job in that small space. But...I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again...get yourself the bxpanded ripper tooth. You would be amazed at how much less digging is needed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice job! I’ve messed around with some stumps and rocks and the 260b is really impressive. The 120r on the other hand leaves something to be desired. Would be nice to be able to pick stuff like that up instead of dragging it around...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Good for you :good2:

Removing stumps is one of the most rewarding jobs with our 1025rs

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for sharing that, I learned a lot just watching you work that bad boy. Great job.
You are welcome. As a new tractor owner, I learned a lot too. At this point in my tractor career, I learn a lot with every project because I basically don't know anything. Well I know one thing, these little tractors are fun, and they help you get a lot done!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work! :bigthumb:
Took me a full 8 hours for a double stump that was about that same size a few weeks ago. Finally got it out as the sun was going down. Same predicament, could only get at from one side. Just kept working it
Persistence pays off and I bet experience helps too. I find I do a lot of thinking when operating the tractor. Even though moving those controls doesn't take much effort, I get mentally exhausted after a long day. I'm glad you prevailed over your large stump.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice job in that small space. But...I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again...get yourself the bxpanded ripper tooth. You would be amazed at how much less digging is needed.
Yes, I've seen those. I'd want one with a quick attach so I could go back to the bucket. Someday. For now I'm using what I have. Plus I'm saving my pennies for a tiller. Those look like a lot of fun! Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One think I would like to caution when working around stumps like that with the backhoe is the hydraulic hose on the 'front' of the backhoe is vulnerable. I hit mine on a root and it split. $75 mistake. I intend to build a guard for it to install.

·
Premium Member
9,330 Posts
"Well done, there was simply no way you were going to let that "STUMP" you, you were bound and determined to root out the problem......."

"It's not the size of the hoe, it the heart in the hoe operator that lets you dig out of the troubles which have taken root."

Sorry, my mind is tired and that's the best adynaton and attempt at rhetorical effect I can root out of my mind because the exhaustion leaves me simply stumped and I don't own a hoe, front or back............

:dunno::laugh::flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice job! I’ve messed around with some stumps and rocks and the 260b is really impressive. The 120r on the other hand leaves something to be desired. Would be nice to be able to pick stuff like that up instead of dragging it around...
Funny you should say this. I had attempted to remove this stump last year when I rented a mini skid steer:
IMG_0779.jpg

The 120R could not budge the stump as you saw. I seem to remember attacking from only the front and the mini skid steer, while not able to just pot the stump out, could move it a bit. Maybe the geometry of the bucket on the mini skid steer allowed it to curl more like a backhoe bucket?

On the other hand, I've had some very heavy stuff on the front of my tractor, kept it low and slow, and could feel that if there were much more weight up there the tractor would bee too unstable. I think the lift capacity is restricted by the size and weight of the tractor. That's just a guess though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey nice job, I did the same thing on my first stump then installed the BXpanded root ripper. It is a must if you are stump digging, easier on tractor and utilized power better. Make stump removal even more enjoyable.
I saw a video of someone using the BXPanded root ripper and I would love to have one. Someday. I hope you enjoyed watching the struggle. I'm not sure if it comes across in the video, but it took a LONG time. I'm sure a root ripper would have helped. That said, even after the roots were all cut, that thing put up a fight. Then I had to build three fires to burn it up. The last fire was just this past weekend with some really big rounds. I should have made a video of that because it was a challenge placing huge logs on a really hot fire. That fire went for 48 hours!

IMG_1748.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One think I would like to caution when working around stumps like that with the backhoe is the hydraulic hose on the 'front' of the backhoe is vulnerable. I hit mine on a root and it split. $75 mistake. I intend to build a guard for it to install.
One of the reasons I enjoy making these videos is for advice like this. I'm not sure which hose you are talking about but I will have a look. I don't know if you noticed the green paint on the stump in the video, but I was working that thing to it's limit and the area I suspect you are talking about was often up against the front of the stump as I reached over and behind it to dig. I had to break out the spay paint after this job as there were a lot of scratches near where the backhoe pivots left and right. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not sure which hose you are talking about but I will have a look.
As you sit in the B\H seat, it's on the far side of the arm - the furthest hose just above the bucket that controls the bucket tilt. Very exposed.

Reactions: SuburbanTractor

·
Old Pa-pa
11,932 Posts
Very impressive work and persistence.:good2:

Ain't nothing quick about removing a big stump, but very rewarding.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts